Snowmageddon '21

scout24

Flashaholic
Hi all- A solid 2 feet here in Northeast Pa. Please check in and let us know if you're ok. We kept power here, going to be a few days until we're dug out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I saw about 200 power trucks heading north on 95 yesterday. Today I've seen about 50 so far heading back south.

Glad all is well there. Somebody said Puxatawnee Phil died from a head injury from slipping on an ice patch but since he was covid positive he was listed as a covid death.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Here I am sipping on a hot totty :)

I'll be a hurtin puppy tomorrow :(

I don't know what we got, 18-22 inches; but with the drifts, 28-30 inches.
Yesterday My daughter and one grandson did a lot of shoveling, and although it was against my better judgement, I fired up the snowblower and helped them out. 2 hours after we were done, you couldn't tell that we were out there.

Today, the grandkids had virtual school, So I did our driveway, etc, and helped a neighbor who wanted to hire the kids to do their snow. My 10 hp snow blower was struggling a little because the snow was deeper than the snout is high.

I helped four neighbors. One helped my daughter do the stuff on my property that I couldn't get with the blower.

Even though the blower does 90% of the work, I have a tendency to do 500% to 1000% more than if I didn't have one. I'm pretty wiped out.

It's good to be a good neighbor.

There are very few reported outages in our area, none in my town. In preparation though I started both my generator, and my snow blower the day before the storm. We did lose internet for half an hour.

Things are good! :)

ironhorse

Enlightened
Spent 2 1/2 hours this morning plowing out myself and the neighbors. Now it's all drifted back in. You can't hardly tell that I did anything.

wweiss

Enlightened
13" in Weston CT. Long driveway, 24" Ariens blower, 5 hours. Including the 85 year old widow across the street. And I'm usually not that nice...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Winter teaches you how to have a back-up plan to your back-up plan.

scout24

Flashaholic
Shoveled off our deck and plowed every few hours yesterday, figured I'd stay on top of it. I don't like pushing more than 8-10" of snow, and eventually run out of room to put it. Went to sleep last night with an inch or so on the deck, figured I'd be good until morning. Woke up to another foot on the ground. Out came the snowblower. I moved snow and scraped cars for six hours. Still not done, I have to clean off the camper roof tomorrow. Glad we didn't lose power, that would've added a wrinkle I didn't look forward to dealing with...

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got 16-18 inches in Plainfield. Cat made a tunnel on the back porch until he had enough. Spent an hour alone until the wife threw the kids out to help. All together it took 2 ½ hours. Then the landlords groundskeeper showed up. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1612313006.892185.jpg

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
75 degrees in Tucson. I saw a guy with snow in the back of his truck so it must be around somewhere. He probably came from the mountains..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scout24

Flashaholic
A litle insult to injury, (Or Mother Nature with a sense of humor...) we had another 3" overnight. So everything has to be cleaned again. At least it's smaller scale.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Shoveled off our deck and plowed every few hours yesterday, figured I'd stay on top of it. I don't like pushing more than 8-10" of snow, and eventually run out of room to put it. Went to sleep last night with an inch or so on the deck, figured I'd be good until morning. Woke up to another foot on the ground. Out came the snowblower. I moved snow and scraped cars for six hours. Still not done, I have to clean off the camper roof tomorrow. Glad we didn't lose power, that would've added a wrinkle I didn't look forward to dealing with...

Why do people up north NOT seem to use garages? What am I missing?

nbp

Flashaholic
Why do people up north NOT seem to use garages? What am I missing?

That's not a "thing" in the north. If anything I have seen it a lot more in southern, warmer climes. Most people do park inside because chiseling ice off cars sucks. But if you have more cars than garage spots, it happens.

scout24

Flashaholic
Turbodog- I've got a good sized 2 car garage that we can't fit cars in. Mowers, tools, motorcycle, and half the crap one of our kids owns... :ironic:

Poppy

Flashaholic
In the late 1980's or early 1990's we got hammered with snow, one significant storm after another. My driveway was between two homes each with steep roofs, so if we got 18 inches, 36 inches fell into my driveway. Lots were only 45 feet wide.

If you didn't have a driveway, parking was at an absolute premium. The girls across the street, had two cars, and one was parked behind the other on a County road that had parking on each side, and two lanes North, and two lanes South. So they had two lanes of snow plowed into and under each of their cars. They worked for hours digging out their cars, creating piles of snow in front and behind each of their cars. The piles were 6-8 feet high. Hugh piles!

When they were all done, they realized that as soon as they moved one car out, someone else would take their spot. Therefore they couldn't use their cars. So, they removed the pile of snow that was between their cars, and placed it beside their cars, and dug out an exit for the front car. They would then pull the back car forward to block the entrance, and have an empty spot waiting for the return of the other car. Brilliant!!!... They should have thought of that sooner!

I had a 7 HP Simplicity snow blower. A great machine, the only problem is that it had only two forward speeds. Slow and Slower yet.
My driveway took two throws to get the snow to the back yard.

I did my next door neighbor's sidewalk and driveway... Uncle Sid. Gotta love him. :)

My other neighbor's corner lot property, (the old retired dentist) so happy with his little flower garden. :)
And the neighbor who's property ran along my back-yard. Their driveway and sidewalk.

I then went across the street to help the two girls clear a path to their back door, and to help a friend who's snow blower died on him, or couldn't handle the depth of the snow.

I then walked my slower than molasses blower, in the street, all the while leaning down on the handles to keep the blade out of the street, to my father's house 9 city blocks away. I was spent before I started that trek. By time I got there, I was DONE!

I did my Dad's driveway and sidewalk, and a path to the back of the house.

His neighbor across the street wanted me to do hers. I was DONE! She insisted... I'll pay you!... NO! ... How much do you want? I'll pay you!
OK a hundred dollars.
She agreed.
Oh damn!

So I did her driveway and sidewalk. She paid me by check.

My daughter's friend was dying of leukemia, I was going to donate to the cause.

The following day, this women read my Father the riot act at how I had overcharged her. She met someone with a plow who would have done her driveway for $20. (Yeah right! I asked a guy to push the snow forward, the length of ONE parking spot 15 feet, in the street in front of my house. He wouldn't drop his plow for less than $100.)

This past summer my Dad pulled out a copy of the two page letter I had written her, and read it at his birthday celebration. Two well written pages, that had us all laughing. I returned her check.

I hope she forwarded it... I doubt it. :(

So here we are 30 years later. A neighbor offered $100 for my grandkids to shovel their driveway and sidewalk, etc.

The kids had virtual school and homework and virtual meetings. I would have helped the kids, with the snow blower, so I told my daughter to tell them that I would do what I could with the blower to remove the bulk of the snow, but not the steps, etc. I wanted them to know that it wasn't going to be squeaky clean. She never made the call.

Fortunately, they were out there with shovels for an hour before I got there. They cleared the steps and walkway and were in the process of clearing the cars. Once I got started, I realized that I would never have done this for $100. They had a triple wide driveway and about 150 feet of sidewalk. All deeper than the throat of my blower. I was committed... I hope this doesn't end up like the last time.

Today my daughter found that plow drivers were demanding $450 for clearing the driveways, and not doing sidewalks.

Thankfully, these neighbors were extremely thankful. I hope this is the beginning of a long lasting friendship. :thumbsup:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Today my daughter found that plow drivers were demanding $450 for clearing the driveways, and not doing sidewalks.

Whoa... $450??? I need to load up the tractor, drive up, and make some cash. Pretty sure I can get a snowplow/thrower attachment for the front.