Puma white hunter

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Wanted one of these since I was a little kid and seriously thinking of getting one.I'm a little confused about a few things. First what's the difference between the 6377 and 6399 ? And are the brand new models that puma makes just as good as there old stuff? Thanks for the help

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
6375 has stainless.......6399 has wood grips and carbon .......6377 should have stag and carbon steel. And....... nothing new is ever as good as anything old. : D

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm looking at 6377 and 6399 and both have stag and SS written on the blade. What gives?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be pumaster or 440c

I'll do some digging or maybe somebody will chime in. If you don't get an answer I'll ask Bill Hall of tricities knife and gun.

Second update. 6399 should 100% be jacaranda wood handled unless it's been rehandled or cloned or a special run.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm a going to get one come hell or high water. Definitely want a stag handle.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted one of those when I was a kid too – not sure how practical is it is as a knife, but it sure looks cool.

scout24

Flashaholic
Not a White Hunter, but as close as I could come... :) A 6396 Bowie. A friend of mine got a killer deal on two of these back in the 90's and shared his good fortune, selling me one at what he paid. The cost at the time escapes me... This survived our house fire three years ago in a plastic tote in the basement that partially melted. It was a bit waterlogged, but the box survived too. Uncarried, never sharpened or used.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I had two White Hunters when I was a teen...one stag and one rosewood. Cant even remember what ever happened to them but I wish I had them now! Foolish youth...I probably traded them for something stupid...It was a great chopper, could hack down a 3" sapling in no time.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 2, one 1966 and 1 before the numbering system was introduced. I gave both of them to a friend, they cut cool, but for planing they are not so convenient. And they are beautiful!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well think I have waited long enough for one. Ok so the searching now begins😁 wish me luck.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Another stupid question. If your white hunter doesn't have a date code it's pre 64 right? So how do people date them and say it was made in 1959?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Not in bad shape for being 63 years old!

F825-AC4-D-83-B1-4-B0-B-B7-ED-55348-C809488.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thanks man. Seriously can't put the thing down. It feels so good in the hand. It's a user with some scratches and a stain or two. But wanted to be able to take it to the woods and not worry messing it up.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real nice knife!

Looks like a sharpmaker would be good for sharping with all those curves.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have always sucked at sharpening knives. I really should learn how to do it right.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always sucked at sharpening knives. I really should learn how to do it right.

The sharpmaker is easy to use and great for blades with curved edges (using the corners of the stones). The standard stones don't take off a lot of metal which is good most times, but can be slow if you have a seriously dull or damaged edge. Spyderco sells diamond stones which are faster, but I use sand paper wrapped around the ceramic stones if I need to take off a lot of metal.