Recommend a waterproof capsule that holds two cr123’s?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Hello folks. I am in need of a sealed capsule that can carry two cr123 batteries. I am looking for something that is made to properly hold 123's so they don't rattle all over the place and takes up as minimal bulk in a pocket as possible. Is there anything like that available?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapest would be a waterproof matchbox like Coughlans, I have a few and put a bit of foam top and bottom and a small plastic disk between the two batteries.

I also have one from Oveready, awesome but a bit more money.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the match case for this. The rattle can be taken up with a bit of foam or index cards rolled around the batteries. Very cheap and effective. If you want something nicer, the Surefire carries are top notch, of course, but they are best for backpacks and such.

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
As Arch said, the Thyrm CellVaults are really great for this - waterproof, rugged, and they stay closed until you want it open. They're not inexpensive, though. The original size holds 3 CR123A (which is what I've got in my backpack), but their new 18650 size might be better if you only want to carry two cells.

I'll also second the suggestion of CountyComm's delrin capsules too - they've got 1x CR123A or 1x 18650 options. I have a CR123A one which works well.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CellVault-18 will be your most waterproof of the Thyrm options. An Oveready sleeve or similar will help reduce rattle if storing CR123A. We have four CellVault-18 and two CellVault-XL across multiple BOBs.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a cheap shiny aluminum pill fob from mallwart that has an o-ring on the lid and carries 1xCR123a. I put a little bit of padding in both the bottom and the lid, and it's fine. If you get two of them you're covered.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Why in the hell did they pick 3......... like great if you have a 9P but why don't they have 2 or 4 options?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Thanks for all the recommendations.

It looks like the capsules from county comm are pretty much what I'm looking for. The surefire and cell vault look great for carrying spare cells in a bag. Just like ammo you can never have too many batteries available.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The delrin capsule from Countycomm is a great product. I've been carrying a 1xCR123 as my keychain for about two years. Never leaks. Shrugs off abuse. In fact, I like it so much that it displaced the remote to my car. Now I just go full twentieth century and use the ignition key to unlock my driver door. Millenials everywhere are beside themselves.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CellVault-18 will be your most waterproof of the Thyrm options.
Be aware that the CellVault-18 will not clasp across two PALS rows which feature thicker webbing (e.g. Maxpedition) but will clasp against one PALS row instead. No issue across thinner webbing such as those found on Kirafu products. The CellVault XL will clasp across two rows of thicker PALS webbing and secures via a plastic latch; an elastic band (e.g. medium ranger band) can help secure vault contents in the event of an accidental opening. Note the small band added around the bottom of the CellVault XL (black)...

img1.jpg

A Malkoff MD2 holds 2X123 perfectly. 😁
That is does :thumbsup:

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
CellVault-18 fits 2xCR123A...

img2.jpg

CellVault-18 silicone foam insert...

img1.jpg

CellVault-18: Metal-to-plastic latch
CellVault XL: Plastic to plastic latch

img3.jpg

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I bought a couple of capsules from county comm and the arrived today, a single cr123 capsule and an 18650 size. They are made of delrin which is perfect. Unfortunately they don't have one that fits two cr123's perfectly but the 18650 works fine once you space it with something like bubble wrap, foam etc.

Place bits of cotton as a spacer between the bottom of the tube and each cell. This prevents battery rattle. (The cotton can double as an emergency tinder, if you're at all inclined to pay attention to that sort of thing.)

Latest posts