another alky leak issue

YAK-28

Enlightened
found another forgotten alky leak victim, a fenix ld 40. cleaned up the mess inside with some vinegar and then some deoxit. installed some new rechargeable batteries and it works great at full power, but won't step down as before. any ideas or thoughts on how to regain the use of different levels? i will still use it with one level, but if i could fix it i would like to. thanks for any ideas.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
found another forgotten alky leak victim, a fenix ld 40. cleaned up the mess inside with some vinegar and then some deoxit. installed some new rechargeable batteries and it works great at full power, but won't step down as before. any ideas or thoughts on how to regain the use of different levels? i will still use it with one level, but if i could fix it i would like to. thanks for any ideas.

It is possible that the alkaline leak got into the driver electronics and shorted out a component if it is not potted you may be able to take it apart and clean up the damage you missed.

YAK-28

Enlightened
thank you for your idea about leaking further into the head/driver area. i tried a quick check with some needle nose to look further, but i could not make any headway as to a quick opening. i might check with fenix if there is an easy, non experienced action i could take without damaging it further.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
thank you for your idea about leaking further into the head/driver area. i tried a quick check with some needle nose to look further, but i could not make any headway as to a quick opening. i might check with fenix if there is an easy, non experienced action i could take without damaging it further.

one thing that you could try is 90% alchohol as it dries and could possibly dissolve any dried liquid and get it off the board but beware it could gravitate to the reflector area and stain it and the lens. I doubt fenix will fix/replace it for a reasonable price if it is no longer in production for too many years they may not have any parts and the shipping charges both ways plus labor and parts may have you better off investing in a new light.
I hope you used a name brand alkaleak that has some sort of warranty and kept it as that may be your only choice of getting compensated for the leakage. This is why we rant on and on about these crappy cells as a 50 cent battery can destroy a $50 light and a $2 lithium primary or $3 nimh cell can "save" it from alkaleaks leaving you $47 ahead. in the end.

Last edited:

YAK-28

Enlightened
thank you again for your alcohol idea. i don't think i'm looking spend more on repairs. i am happy to use it as it is and continue my search for any more forgotten alky's before they leak to replace them with rechargable cells.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
thank you again for your alcohol idea. i don't think i'm looking spend more on repairs. i am happy to use it as it is and continue my search for any more forgotten alky's before they leak to replace them with rechargable cells.

If you do use alkaleaks better check into replacement warranty practices of the company that sells them as some will reimburse you for damages but I'm not really familiar with how that works. IMO if you can't afford non alkaleaks for devices and lights just remove the batteries and store them near the device so if they leak they don't damage it. As expensive as they are Energizer lithium primary AA/AAAs are pretty much leak proof I've only heard of a few incidents of them leaking and I'm not really sure if the incidents are valid or the damage was substantial. I've never had any of them leak at all.
I've been gravitating towards 18650 based devices because of the cost and problems of 1.5v based devices and the improved performance.

YAK-28

Enlightened
went thru 2 rooms today on a "remove and replace all alky leaks" hunt. found a 4d coast lantern, a 3d rayovac lantern and a 2c bright star flashlight. just emptied the lanterns and bagged the batteries and replaced the brightstar with rechargeables.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
went thru 2 rooms today on a "remove and replace all alky leaks" hunt. found a 4d coast lantern, a 3d rayovac lantern and a 2c bright star flashlight. just emptied the lanterns and bagged the batteries and replaced the brightstar with rechargeables.

:thumbsup: I use up excess alkaleaks in old incan lights that I put LED dropins in them so if they leak and destroy them I take the bulb out and toss the light. I've found I almost never use any of these lights as they are a lot dimmer and larger than my 18650 LED lights.