Flashlight for urbex/cave etc.

Doubleblitz

Newly Enlightened
Hello, what do you think is the best flashlight for explore underground bunkers, abandoned buildings or caves from these list? I think that thrower isn't important in underground.

Nitecore MH12 V2

Wuben TO46R

Wuben TO40R

Wuben H8

Wuben A21

Wuben T102 Pro

Wuben T103 Pro

Fenix TK11 TAC

Fenix TK15

Fenix TK22UE

Fenix FD41

Fenix PD35

Fenix TK35 XHP35

Fenix TK35UE

Fenix E35 V3.0

Fenix E30R

Wuben T70

I like T70, E35 V3.0 and TK35UE but these are the most expensive from the list, especially TK35.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
Just me personally, but I would dismiss anything that isn't either a dedicated headlamp, or that is designed to be attached to your head.
These activities frequently involve climbing, scrambling, jimmying, opening, wrenching and other things that require having both hands free.

I would consider something like a Fenix HM61R - Clip into the included headband, clip onto your belt/rucksack/pocket/almost anything, carry it, hang it off something, or even use the magnetic tailcap.
18650 battery, long runtime at lower levels - You probably won't want more than 150lm inside buildings, so that's about 12hrs of light at least, but you have up to 1200lm if you need.

All depends on what you want it to do....

Doubleblitz

Newly Enlightened
I have 350 lm headlamp. My friend has 850 lm handy light and 350 lm is too low for me in an underground bunker.

Handy light is ok for me and these list is available in my country.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Personally I recommend a headlamp and a flashlight both as anytime you are in an unknown situation you could be trapped or hurt or lost and a thrower can help you see at greater distances while a headlamp can help you when you need both hands or have one hurt one and need the other one and it is hard to juggle a flashlight when you only have one hand to use.
I recommend getting one that does around 700-1000 lumens in turbo and sustained 400 or so and has modes around 5-10 and 80-150 lumens as these lumen amounts for me tend to cover most of the bases indoors and outdoors and the Turbo is good for longer distances to get your bearings. Another issue with hand held lights is you can drop them and even with lanyards they can get tangled up on things while a headlamp stays close to your head and at worst it pulled off when it gets tangled.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I've started to appreciate mildly floody lights more I have noticed something interesting. While something like a Sofirn If25a has the raw output to light up a large area and throw decently, due to the beam shape the overly bright foreground will result is overly reduced throw in confined spaces like hallways or trails.

Not sure if that makes sense but check it out, definitely happens. So, might not be a bad idea to have a somewhat throwy light as well.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
As I've started to appreciate mildly floody lights more I have noticed something interesting. While something like a Sofirn If25a has the raw output to light up a large area and throw decently, due to the beam shape the overly bright foreground will result is overly reduced throw in confined spaces like hallways or trails.

Not sure if that makes sense but check it out, definitely happens. So, might not be a bad idea to have a somewhat throwy light as well.

It has to do with reflected light shutting down your eyes light sensitivity. If there is nothing around you like out in a field then the throw seems better. The same thing happens with all floody lights trying to look down a dark hole the bright light around you saturates your eyes and even though an adequate amount of light does get down the hole from the light the light reflected from closer objects somewhat blinds you to that. Remove the close objects and put something the same distance away as it is down in the hole and you can then see it.

Doubleblitz

Newly Enlightened
Lynx: That is what I am looking for. I want around 1000 lumens and long runtime.

I can use my Energizer HDA323 (200 lumens, not 300 asi I mentioned in third post) as a headlamp.

My top four candidates are: first three have almost same price.

Fenix TK35 XHP35 - used with extra batteries Graph

Fenix E35 v3.0 - new
Graph

Wuben T70 - new
Graph

Fenix TK35UE used, two battery packs and about 1/3 more expensive than another three flashlights
Graph

I think that these four lights can be used also little throwy. I want work light for bigger spaces, especially for some photos. My friend has a 1200 lumens work light and that is great but it is not ideal to use it as more universal light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I looked up your headlamp and would strongly recommend upgrading it first off, as a decent 18650 headlamp can all but replace the need for a separate flashlight and not need an uber output one to boot. As for a flashlight I do like the AI on my Sofirn A32 V2.0 and it is not too expensive can get it with a battery and charger also. It has 4 regular mode and hidden Turbo and blinking modes plus ramping if wanted.
Depending on how much run time you need on a work light an 18650 headlamp may suffice for some things not sure about picture taking may need a high CRI light of some sort that is a floody model.

Last edited:

Doubleblitz

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thank you. I upgrade headlamp first off. What do you think about Nitecore HC30. I like 600 lumens for 2,5 hours and it's also right angled flashlight.
Graph

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ok, thank you. I upgrade headlamp first off. What do you think about Nitecore HC30. I like 600 lumens for 2,5 hours and it's also right angled flashlight.
Graph
Two things about that light..... it looks like it may have been discontinued, uses an XML LED and many have gone to more efficient XPL-HI LEDs and many lights now offer more neutral or warm tints. The design appears about the same as my Wowtac A2S and also the Sofrin SP40 and costs about $20-$30 more. Personally I wouldn't buy a light that has been discontinued for full price as if you have issues within getting parts or replacement could be an issue. The specs on the lights look like 400 lumens on high, and I think Turbo at 1000 is probably not a cotinuous mode the graph you showed me contradicts with the specs the manufacturer lists and 600 lumens for over 2 hours with only 1000 lumen Turbo to me seems innaccurate that graph may be wrong entirely I would double check it by looking it up elsewhere. The headlamp is also listed as being for sale for 3-4 years or so now using the same emitter and newer headlamps now that do 600 lumens on high have 1200 or more lumens on turbo modes like the SP40 has. Both the Wowtac and the Sofirn are right angle versions and Fenix I believe has one out now too but I'm not familiar with the specs or model number but mentions of it in the forum are good so far I think it may be something like hml 61R not sure though. I strongly recommend you do some research on these headlamps as the offerings changes every year new models with newer emitters and differing modes and UIs and features come out getting stuck on one brand may have you missing out on something better. UI on these headlamps can differ too and you may find you like the UI of one type better than another in use. I have two 18650 headlamps that the modes are very close to identical for the most part but the UI is very different. My Fenix headlamp (HL60R) requires a long press to turn it on and then you can click it to the next mode and all modes are available from red to lowest white to highest white modes. My Wowtac takes a click to turn it on and you hold the button down for it to cycle through 3 modes and if when off you hold the button down you can access moonlight and double click fast for turbo. I prefer the wowtac UI as most of the time I only need 3 modes and can quickly directly access the other 2 modes while the Fenix you have to cycle through the modes to get to another mode and there is 6 modes instead of 3 to cycle through and often I go past the mode I want and have to cycle through again and I find the red LED mode not useful for me if it were hidden that would be a lot better. There are also flashing modes which for me are unneeded and hidden I don't remember which light has them and how to access them right now. For me once I got a good headlamp I find I use it about 75% of the time I'm doing anything other than walking around upright so if that is the case for you I would consider concentrating on getting the best "fit" headlamp for your use and be willing to spend more on it than a flashlight which the focus of it would more likely be to extend your range of vision. I think most of these headlamps are good for about 50 feet if you need to see farther than about 25 feet a lot then having a good throwing flashlight can cover that. You can see farther than 50 feet on high and turbo with these headlamps but with less sharpness.
I would also consider neutral white and perhaps warm white tints and stay away from 6000K and above tints as they can tend to make colors a lot more inaccurate even though the efficiency of bluer emitters is higher many find them more stressful using them for long periods of time. I prefer 4000K to 5000K myself others I've notices like 3200-4300K range emitters more and there is debate over what is best I think it is more about what you are doing and personal preference but if you are taking pictures you may want to study on that as I'm no expert on that topic whatsoever.

parang

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest an Armytek, for they can survive falls, water and abuse better than the rest. A floody headlamp like the Wizard Pro.

Doubleblitz

Newly Enlightened
Lynx: I have found another graphs of the HC30 and they are same. I understand you, I'm beginner with flashlights so your words are really helpful for me. I like warmer white light too and I think the HC30 is cool white. A angled light isn't a prerequisite but it's a good feature. So I'm still trying to find the best one for me. I'm trying first to choose one available in my country. Fenix, Armytek or Nitecore isn't problem, other brands are less accessible.

Parang: Wizard Pro warm white is one of my candidates.

About performance what do you think about AceBeam H50 with three Nichias 219C? I haven't found any review with Nichias. I like more options of lumens. It's same price as Armytek Wizard Pro v3.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not sure if you can get Sofirn lights from their website sent there but they have an SP40 headlamp that looks decent and is a good price. I have one of their flashlights and like it seems well made. The 219C is one a lot like but you do take a hit on lumens going to more warm tints vs neutral tints but once you are in the 1000 lumen range it is not that noticeable.

busseguy

Enlightened
You sure never explore a cave without at least 2 lights and one of those should definitely be a headlamp.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You sure never explore a cave without at least 2 lights and one of those should definitely be a headlamp.

I would say 3 myself. 1)headlamp 2)throwy flashlight with low mode 3) keychain/pocket light as a backup with low mode. In a cave you can possibly get lost, lose your headlamp or damage it, drop your flashlight and still have a light to find stuff that you dropped or hopefully get out of there.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH10 V2 is good. Might want to use a Nitecore E4K. Battery charging port is on the battery sealed in a waterproof light instead of under a rubber gasket that could get worn out or popped up. In underground caves, I go for the most waterproof light with the longest runtimes. It's likely to get wet and covered in dirt and mud. Changing batteries in a wet environment doesn't work out well either (need long runtimes or spare lights).

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree about the need for a headlamp, but as I have never used one I won't comment on any, except that I thing the ones with a separate battery pack would probably work best - less weight on the forehead, and more runtime due to having a larger battery use.
As a hand-held, I would suggest the Nitecore P30. I had one of the first generation 18600 ones, and really loved it. Nice bright central beam at higher settings, with just enough spill to light up the immediate area. At the low power settings it was nice and floody as well.
And don't forget extra cells. Never hurts to have more along than you need, and if, God forbid, you should get caught in some way and have to spend more time than you thought in/down/under, extra cells will really come in handy. Nitecore has some L-series lipstick style lights that would be handy to carry in a pocket or pouch that would work really well to make a small pool of light so that you can see your surroundings while taking a break/resting/eating while you are in/down/under without having to use one of your main lights.
Whatever you choose, have fun and stay safe.