New Light To Check Out

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellow light fans might want to check two new interesting LED lamps-possibly great for the upcoming holidays:
@ www.lightsickle.com

p.s.-be sure to read the write-up on the sound-generated MusicLamp (not as cheap as the CK LightWand), but certainly worth a look.
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I can see on a couple of the pictures that there are seperate red, green, and blue LEDs similar to the Color Kinetics products.
The plastic diffuser is shaped differently and it also appears to be on its own self-supporting base.
If you've seen a CK lightwand, you already have a general idea of what the light emitted by this lamp will look like.

Might be a nice light to put on top of the TV next to the plastic Jesus and the burnt-out votives.
grin.gif

A pair of them, mounted at opposite corners on a ceiling, might also look quite cool.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes very nice light.

I had done some experiments with a small
computer used to control the light output
of a bi-color LED (red and green only).
By modulating the two colors in a certain way, you could get the LED to look like
a flickering candle. It was a pretty cool
effect. It made you almost afraid to touch it, as it looked like it might burn your finger.
If you're into PIC controllers or Basic Stamps you could build some of your own
displays also. There are some really
high intensity LED's out there now of all
three primary colors.
--Al

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
Fellow light fans might want to check two new interesting LED lamps-possibly great for the upcoming holidays:
@ www.lightsickle.com

p.s.-be sure to read the write-up on the sound-generated MusicLamp (not as cheap as the CK LightWand), but certainly worth a look.
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where was the write up on the MusicLamp? On the same website? I didn't see it, but it sounds interesting!

cool.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
Where was the write up on the MusicLamp? On the same website? I didn't see it, but it sounds interesting!

cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just hit the highlight [box] on "MusicLamp"-only a few paragraphs, but I thought the operational description of the effects was kinda interesting ..
smile.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the music lamp sounds reeeally cool! I remember the light organs thier talking about but this sounds much, much nicer. Two of them hooked up to each stereo chanel might be great....four for surround sound might work as well...just wish the price was lower. Brock, Craig, Chris...I feel reveiws are in order. I recommend grobeling at the manufactures feet A.S.A.P. Perhaps offer to return it after the reveiws are completed.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
....Chris...I feel reviews are in order.

I wish
wink.gif

But the Arc-AAA LE made a fair sized dent in my bank account and the way things are going, the LS is going to make an even bigger dent (where is that Proto I was promised all thet time ago?
frown.gif
). And I never did like giving things back after playing with them
icon10.gif

You know, when I was in high-school, one of the things I used to do was disco and concert lighting. I sort of wich I still did, those shows were the highlight of my school time. But despite the fact that it`s been a fair few years since I moved on from there, I do still have all the equipment including a (refurbished) genuine 1980s vintage Light Organ Controller that I happened accross. Called "sound-to-light" here, it`s pretty neat and works with a set of light-boxes I made specially for it. If I can find them I`ll get it all out and show you all how it used to be done before those nifty little LEDs came along
grin.gif

tongue.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I bit bigtime! I ordered one of each. Hope they're worth it!
blush.gif
I've been waiting for the sauce products to show up in the stores, but these just seem too cool to wait any longer!

After my impulse buy, I searched google for any reviews, etc. and came up with this link:

Lightsickle

It mainly says "Wow!"
grin.gif

Check this one out for a simulation:

Lightsickle sim

I just ordered a digital camera last week - so maybe I'll be able to snap a few shots of them in action. Stay tuned to this channel for more updates as they occur!
wink.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Artie Choke:
Alright, I bit bigtime! I ordered one of each. Hope they're worth it!
blush.gif
I've been waiting for the sauce products to show up in the stores, but these just seem too cool to wait any longer!

I just ordered a digital camera last week - so maybe I'll be able to snap a few shots of them in action. Stay tuned to this channel for more updates as they occur!
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope those work out great for you, and as I remember, there was a refund/guarantee of satisfaction with that offering....
I'll be looking for your pix.
cool.gif

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
They finally showed up!
shocked.gif
It was worth the wait, but I was definitely getting impatient! I've only tried out the lightsickle so far. Very impressive in the dark. I showed it to some co-workers and they were all impressed. One thought it would make a good Xmas present.

I tried taking some pictures of it, but they don't do it justice. The simulation site is fairly close to what it does - although the real one changes color somewhat slower - which gives it a better effect - IMHO.

Now I've gotta set up the musiclamp and put on some Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and see how it rocks! They actually recommend using Pink Floyd to get the best effects. The old Laserium ain't got nothin' on this one any more!
wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
And I never did like giving things back after playing with them
icon10.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... if you're going to be a light reviewer, always be ready to give the occasional light back. Most manu's will let you keep the test units, but you will come across a relative few who will want them back. This of course doesn't count any "loaners" sent by fans of your website.
smile.gif

Recent cases re: manufacturer or other commercial provider wanting test items returned: the Photon Fusion, and the FrontaLED Trekker.
I gotta give em back when I'm through thrashing, dunking, and stomping them. For this reason, the use of a particular test location that flushes is out of the question.
blush.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Even so, you'll see your "test stock" grow so fast it will make your head spin, and give you a full-time occupation to do when you get home from your regular job.
blush.gif

Let's see here... in the last few weeks or so:

2 LEDCORP Professional Series III lamps
1 FrontaLED Trekker
2 Starlite 128R (2-AA)
1 Starlite (1-AA)
1 Night Pearl lamp
1 HDS Action Light (2nd generation style)
2 Abitax Tag Light
2 Princeton Tec Impact
1 Mini-Mag
1 Abitax white LED lamp (already discontinued)
1 Lightwave 4000
1 Photon Fusion
1 Updated Photon 3
1 Princeton Tec Attitude
1 Tek-Tite Nav Lite
4 Updated Pelican L1 (white, red, aqua, IR)
2 Pelican Mini Flasher (red, IR)
4 Snap-It & Blink-It theatre markers
And a number of different LEDs, LS modules, and other related stuff, and more is known to already be on the way.

Not to mention I have a dozen or two OTHER websites; some of which also require regular maintenance... I'm not just about LEDs and flashlights.
wink.gif

Keep this up for another 6-8 months, and you'll be as busy as I am. Hope you've got lots of free time, hahaha!!!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're going to be a light reviewer, always be ready to give the occasional light back. Most manu's will let you keep the test units, but you will come across a relative few who will want them back. This of course doesn't count any "loaners" sent by fans of your website.

I know what you mean, one or two that they want me to return, I don`t mind that at all. I suppose the main reason I prefer to be able to keep a hold of them is that since I`m here in South Wales, and most people who send them are overseas, the return shipping costs can be expensive (as everything is here) especially if it were quite a big or heavy light.
Another reason is that, as I`m sure everyone is aware, I`m pretty darned slow! Free time is currently quite scarce so if someone were to send me a loaner light for a couple weeks, and in that time I had hardly any chance to "play" with it and complete a write-up, it would be a bit of a waste of time. I`m working on that though, my site is due for a very big overhaul soon- in fact a whole re-launch, probably this side of the Festive season, and it will include a more organised point-by-point review structure that should not take too long to complete for each one (at least not initial things like battery changing, durability/waterproofness, etc).

Even so, you'll see your "test stock" grow so fast it will make your head spin, and give you a full-time occupation to do when you get home from your regular job.

I know exactly how that feels! Recently, all these showed up here....

Tektite Trek 2 LED
" Trek 4 LED
" Expedition 300
" Expedition 1900
" Trek-6000 (what a light!!!)
" Knife-Lite

Arc-AA-LE
Arc-LS proto (amazing!)
Starlite-128R 2AA
Starlite-128R 1AA
CK Sauce Light-Washer (yes it does work on my transformer at 50Hz
smile.gif
)

Plus numerous bulbs and christmas light sets for the "Bulb Museum", I`m currently buried under tons of boxes, foam peanuts and bubble-wrap!

What a time for my video camera to quit on me again. Now where`d I put the soldering iron....
frown.gif

tongue.gif
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Even so, you'll see your "test stock" grow so fast it will make your head spin, and give you a full-time occupation to do when you get home from your regular job<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I hate to sound like I was going to "cut in" on your fun, but I have my light review pages all ready to go, I just haven't uploaded the info to the server. Test criteria, methodology, and everything. After Brock sent me a Sino Union for review, I decided if I'm going to do reviews, I may as well do them right! A lack of a digital camera is the only thing holding me back right now. However, the last thing I need is a "full time" job besides my regular full time job (or a divorce for that matter)!
shocked.gif
I'll have to give this some thought - don't want to be too "hasty"
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think that the more reviewers we have here, the better! Within reason, of course- it`d be a bit of a nightmare if we were all reviewers!

I don`t have a Digicam either, just an increasingly screwy video camera. Pretty pictures are nice (well, it`s about all you get from me so far!) but it`s the actual content that counts. Don`t jump in too soon until you`re sure of what you`re getting yourself in for- this was my big mistake. Full of plans, ideas and good intentions, but then I hit into a little problem, that being the total lack of time to work on the "format" I had originally devised.

The only thing I can do is start again, and re-launch it- but only after I`ve worked some more on the new format (yes, including new pretty pictures and page formatting- does anyone here seriously dislike orange
wink.gif
) to ensure it`s not going to take 2 days to write each one.

Looking forward to seeing your reviews though!

grin.gif
tongue.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to believe. I sent Mrs. Phred the link for the lightsickle and she told me to buy THREE
shocked.gif
cool.gif
Now maybe I can get more toys for ME.
smile.gif
Thanks for the link.
....dana....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:

I know exactly how that feels! Recently, all these showed up here....

Tektite Trek 2 LED
" Trek 4 LED
" Expedition 300
" Expedition 1900
" Trek-6000 (what a light!!!)
" Knife-Lite

Arc-AA-LE
Arc-LS proto (amazing!)
Starlite-128R 2AA
Starlite-128R 1AA
CK Sauce Light-Washer (yes it does work on my transformer at 50Hz
smile.gif
)

Plus numerous bulbs and christmas light sets for the "Bulb Museum", I`m currently buried under tons of boxes, foam peanuts and bubble-wrap!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee Chris... it sounds like you're in the same situation as me - so many boxes of ghost turds and bubble wrap you don't know what to do with, yet it's expensive to replace if you throw it all out and then find you need the stuff.

Yesterday, a box of Litecubes showed up, and there's only one way to "field test" those things... (now where did I put those pictures...???)

lc10.jpg

lc13.jpg

lc15.jpg

So don't be at all surprised if your test venue isn't always where and what you expect.
Sure, I could just throw these in a toliet and take some pictures of them bobbing around in Ty-D-Bol water, but that's not normally how real people would use them.
Needless to say, this has been one of the more fun products to cross my desk in recent times.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

P.S.
Never sell or give away anything from your "test stock" no matter how tempting.
Because sooner or later, you'll get a nice e-mail from some nice guy or gal nicely asking if you could compare such and such flashlight to some other flashlight. And all you will need to do is reach for the shelf and pick them out.

Anyway, since we're on the topic of "new lights to check out", you can see the Litecubes for yourself at http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/litecube.htm
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...I`ve worked some more on the new format ... to ensure it`s not going to take 2 days to write each one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I've taken that into consideration - I'll be using the K.I.S.S. method - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Simple, short, straightforward and to the point - probably 1/2 hr per light, beampics and all - I'll re-do the Sino Union lights in the new format and post is as a test to see how people like it, but not until everythings ready.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That`s probably as busy as it`s ever got- and the crate of stuff from Tektite came as a total surprise- I had almost given up on hearing back from them, so big thanks to Scott Mele if you`re watching! Even came with batteries, can`t fault it!

so many boxes of ghost turds and bubble wrap you don't know what to do with, yet it's expensive to replace if you throw it all out and then find you need the stuff.

I take it all into work. We`re only a small company and are too stingy
grin.gif
to buy in our own custom shipping boxes so we re-use everything- even candy bar boxes! Fire alarm components reguarly show up at our customers doors in Mars and Twix countertop boxes! And if I ever need any of it back then they don`t mind me dipping a hand into the big tub of "ghost turds" (I`ll have to remember that one
icon10.gif
)

Yesterday, a box of Litecubes showed up, and there's only one way to "field test" those things

Wow those things are pretty cool! What ever will they think of next!

Oh there`s no danger of that! I`m an addicted collector and habitual hoarder- once things arrive here, they almost never leave unless they break. Even then I tend to keep broken stuff too for spare parts- the old "it`ll come in handy one day" routine. I havn`t broken any torches yet while testing (OK well maybe the FlashLED but that was an accident...honest), but that may change?
shocked.gif

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I take it all into work. We`re only a small company and are too stingy
grin.gif
to buy in our own custom shipping boxes so we re-use everything- even candy bar boxes! Fire alarm components reguarly show up at our customers doors in Mars and Twix countertop boxes!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me? I just wait for the next natural disaster to take care of the overflow for me.
Nothing beats down cases of bubble wrap and ghost poop to a useless pulp better than a nice earthquake.
Guaranteed to get rid of at least half of it or your money back.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
blush.gif

I too have been in the candy bar box recycling racket. They're not bad boxes for lighter weight material if you tape them up correctly.

Yesterday, a box of Litecubes showed up...

Wow those things are pretty cool! What ever will they think of next!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most who saw the things were pretty amazed by them, yet the underlying technology is deceptively simple.
But then again, it's not every day your drink glows like one of Homer Simpson's radioactive drums either.

Oh there`s no danger of that! I`m an addicted collector and habitual hoarder- once things arrive here, they almost never leave unless they break. Even then I tend to keep broken stuff too for spare parts- the old "it`ll come in handy one day" routine.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. Usually it's the old laser disc player that "someday I'll get around to pulling the laser" or a flashlight with a broken switch, or old PC boards because "I might need a resistor or cap off it someday".
Half-used batteries are also a common "find" here. They're too dead to qualify as good, but there's still enough life in them that it would be wasteful to just throw them away.

Flashlights that get broken in testing usually hang off a thick link chain above my work table, like some trophy the Hirogen killed.
And don't even get me started about all those damned insulators.
grin.gif