Neurotic tactile sensations of EDC lights, a confession

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
Cold winter Saturday night confession time lol. I'm fairly new to every day carry of my lights, however, I'm getting up in numbers of lights this winter. One thing I've noticed, whether I'm at work, talking to friends, walking around, or chilling at home, is that I have a fairly constant habit of feeling of the light in my pocket, rotating it end to end, feeling of the knurling, the clip, etc. It's a kind of some weird therapy if you ask me. There's probably a term for this, but I'm afraid to know what it is. For instance, I just got a Noctigon kr1vn, while not a light I'm gonna EDC often, it has some very fine ridges on the body that feel great between the thumb and the index finger. My Sofrin Co1s has also been "felt up" quite a bit lately, so small, so easy to maneuver. I know I'm not alone, so feel free to come clean, we all do it. I'm also a right pocket kind of guy, even though I'm left handed, but that is a topic for another day.....

nbp

Flashaholic
That's called fidgeting. ;) There's a whole industry devoted to stuff to put in your pockets or on your desk to play with. Anything would probably suffice, but since you have flashlights in your pocket they're a good choice!

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
Probably just fidgeting because it's all new, both the lights themselves, and especially the sensation of then being there on your person.
A lot of CCW newbies can be spotted touching the bulging holster beneath their shirt, for the exact same reasons.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I get something similar but I`m not sure it`s fidgetting, I find that some lights just seem to resonate with me when I hold them, and has a sort of grounding / calming effect.
it`s almost quite specific too, they have to be very heavy for their size, cold, and fit just perfectly for a `tight as you can squeeze` type grip. Stuff that`s "built like a tank" but not too big is usually good, my Manker T02 is a perfect example and feels really good and substantial to hold, but as soon as it starts to warm up from holding it I have to put it down until it cools off again.

Crazy enough for ya? LOL :D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's not unusual to 'enjoy' fidgeting with a favored item. Some people carry coins and fidget with those, some a small knife or other items. To me it's like whistling a song stuck in your head only using your fingers tips. I carry chapstick all year but in winter I find myself fidgeting with that instead the small knife in the same pocket. I feel like it's because I use it out in the cold air so it's 'on my mind'. In summer I fidget with the little flashlight in my pocket and I figure it's because often times the work I do is done at night.

Oh at one point I nearly rubbed the coating off my little flashlight fidgeting with it but after 4 years of carrying the same light it's just another object now. And it has its turn at times but not always.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i was big into kickboxing, one of the tools we used to increase speed and strength was to use rubber "hotdogs ". They were metal bars dipped in rubber and we'd grip them while hitting the speed bags or heavy bags. After I went into other martial arts, I didn't use it as much, but I missed the sensation of hitting with it. I had gloves with a bar built in, but it wasn't the same. I would get the sensation from gripping a c-cell maglite or ultrastinger, and want to start hitting a heavy bag again.

I'm going to reach for the lights now for therapy. I haven't been able to make a fist since my car accident, and it helps with my grip strength.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
The light I enjoy fidgeting with the most is the Lumintop EDC01. It feels strangely satisfying to run my thumb over the rounded grooves in the body. Holding the Convoy S2+ is a close second, it fits my grip so well it's unbelievable, and the weight is just right.

Other than torches, I only fidget with Bic stic pens. No other brand or model feels as nice to fumble about with.

Last edited:

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
I get something similar but I`m not sure it`s fidgetting, I find that some lights just seem to resonate with me when I hold them, and has a sort of grounding / calming effect.
it`s almost quite specific too, they have to be very heavy for their size, cold, and fit just perfectly for a `tight as you can squeeze` type grip. Stuff that`s "built like a tank" but not too big is usually good, my Manker T02 is a perfect example and feels really good and substantial to hold, but as soon as it starts to warm up from holding it I have to put it down until it cools off again.

Crazy enough for ya? LOL :D

I can relate to the calming effect, I've been eyeing that T02 for a bit too.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
That's called fidgeting. ;) There's a whole industry devoted to stuff to put in your pockets or on your desk to play with. Anything would probably suffice, but since you have flashlights in your pocket they're a good choice!

It's an old phenomenon. So old that people previously used rocks called worry stones.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a big part of my EDC decision. Has to feel great in the hand. If you really want a light to fidget with in the pocket, or even to fidget with out in the open, try a Surefire C2. It's the one light that I truly feel you have to have in your hand to fully appreciate.

nbp

Flashaholic
It's an old phenomenon. So old that people previously used rocks called worry stones.

Yes, I just meant now people actually manufacture toys like fidget spinners and fidget cubes and the like specifically for those who like that sort of thing. I have some fidget cubes on my desk, along with random poker chips to flip or spin, and other things in case I get stuck on the phone or something and need to play.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Crazy isn't it? People used to make do with a lucky rabbit's foot, a treasured coin, or a rock they picked up off the ground. Now grown men spend good money on this new thing called fidget toys.

First world problems.

:crackup:

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
Crazy isn't it? People used to make do with a lucky rabbit's foot, a treasured coin, or a rock they picked up off the ground. Now grown men spend good money on this new thing called fidget toys.
People also used to 'make do' with 12-lumen torches the size of bricks and 'mobile' phones that were basically a car battery with handles and a handset...

I did contemplate getting into the spinner business at one stage, as a mechanic friend of mine regularly has precision bearings that he simply throws on the scrap pile. It wouldn't have been the £600 pattern-welded steel Batarang type of things, but we'd have been able to sell them for a good £50-100, I reckon.

I love the idea of a fidget toy, but have never found one I liked enough to buy. I'd get too bored of it and I have far cooler things to faff about with, anyway... which is probably why I started buying torches I don't really need!
The closest I came was a set of 'Thumbchucks', but they only did expensive titanium ones.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it only pertains to flashlights it is "flashaholism" if it pertains to anything in your pockets it is fidgeting and be careful you could go blind from either (temporarily if it is the first). :p