Malkoff M61HOT vs Hounddog 18650

ShayAllen

Newly Enlightened
I want a Malkoff flashlight for "urban spelunking."

This would replace my Fenix (iirc) 4xaa light that was great but malfunctioned after a few weeks of use.

The idea is to have something

• throwy (indoors, NOTHING is 200-yds away, but I do have my headlamp for flooding)
  • bright (I had a cone for my Fenix that could turn it into a lightbulb for taking pictures)

But the Malkoff offerings confuse the Hell out of me. I thought I wanted a "Hound Dog 18650", but I can't find that on the website. There is a M61HOT, and all the specs are given, but I've nothing to measure them against.

Recommendations, please (I prefer to use rechargeable batteries).

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The HD 18650 will have more throw then the M61HOT. Both about as bright.My pick would be a wildcat. Huge flood of light or take the defuser film off " a 2 second deal" and you have a long throw with pretty good spill.

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
I wanted a "Hound Dog 18650", but I can't find that on the website.

I can't offer any experiences with either flashlight sorry, but here's a listing for a Hound Dog 18650, with some specs: https://malkoffdevices.com/products/malkoff-cool-turnkey-hound-dog-18650?_pos=8&_sid=b5fb8b5c7&_ss=r

"The output is approximately 700 measured Out the Front lumens on high [...] This flashlight will illuminate objects at 1200+ feet. The Lux at one meter is approximately 90,000 (many artifacts on a white wall). The Lux with a 1 degree diffuser is 70,000 (some artifacts on a white wall). The Lux with a 5 degree diffuser is 35,000 (no artifacts on a white wall). The tint is 5700K."

Hope that helps

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes that's the 18650 XT extra throw. That would work if you use the real diffused filter on it. Without it its all throw. Gene makes another one that's meant to be very similar to his older reflector HD. Can't seem to find it on his site.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know when/if the Hound Dog 18650(latest version was the XT) will be available again.
My two most recent lights are the Hound Dog XP-L Neutral and M61HOT.
Playing with the Hound Dog at work(night shift, industrial setting) is what led me to buy the M61HOT, because I wanted a big spot without a lot of spill in a MD2-sized light
Much as I love that thing, I did not really need either the throw or output of the Hound Dog, and it was too big to carry in my pocket.

The 18650 XT version of the Hound Dog will have less full output runtime than the M61HOT, a narrower beam(unless used with a filter), be less pocketable, and more expensive. Unless you are having to overcome a lot of ambient light, or genuinely do need to reach 200yds, I'd go for the M61HOT, as it's a more practical general purpose light, in a more convenient package.

If you do want a compact screamer, with lots of throw and a narrower beam, there's also the Malkoff E2HT. Looks like it's sold out at the moment, but what's in-stock at Malkoff tends to change regularly. It's made for Malkoff and Surefire E series bodies that would use a 16650(also used on Arisaka weaponlights), but there are a few options for 1x18650 bodies, too.
^^That was tempting for me, but again, the M61HOT's large spot and the lack of need for more throw won out.

ShayAllen

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, everyone, for the input. Malkoff made this decision VERY easy for me (they only had the M61HOT in stock). Still, judging from Owen's reply, it's a good choice for me anyway.

I 95% would have bought from them five years ago if I'd understood their options better. Specs are fun for a lot of people--and they're fun for me with other products--but I'm more of a Costco shopper for most things: give me five distinct choices, and I'll pick in 5 seconds then move on.

I went to the Malkoff site a few times over the past few years, shrugged, and left.

M61HOT is on the way.

Bronc6901

Newly Enlightened
Have an M61HOT coming in too. Did you get yours yet and how do you like it?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Malkoff has the Neutral Hound Dog XP-L in stock At the top you go to products and large Malkoff flashlights. The lux on that is 45,000, so it is more like the old Hound Dog 18650. This one runs on 3 or 4 CR123s, or 2 18500s or 2 18650s. I believe I have most of his lights and they are all great. I use 2 at work on a regular basis, the old Hound Dog 18650 and the MDC XP-L 16650.That 16650 light is a great all around light and is thin enough to ride in front pants pocket easily.