KL4 on 1x123 - What's Not to Like?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
KL4 on 1x123 - What\'s Not to Like?

What's not to like with the KL4 on a single 123-cell? Here it is going head to head with some standard Arc lights.

KL4.jpg

KingSmono

Enlightened
Re: KL4 on 1x123 - What\'s Not to Like?

It's kind've hard to tell, but is the KL4 the one that starts very high, and drops at 65 minutes? Or the one that Starts relatively high and sloooooooowly decreases in brightness?

kubolaw

Enlightened

this_is_nascar -

While my tired eyes can't identify for sure the graphs of the different lights, I assume that the long sloping curve is the TW4 data. Nice! I think the problem with the combo is due to the 5W luxeon lottery. I believe that some here have reported that their KL4s barely light up on a single 123. So if you don't get a low Vf head, then the performance is not nearly as good as what you are experiencing. But if KL4 heads consistently produced the output shown in your graph, then I'd agree that there's nothing "not to like" (I guess some people who love regulated output might have a little nit to pick).

John

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

kubolaw,

That is exactly what's not to like. I had three KL4's that would barely turn on with fresh 123's. Probably high Vf on the LED's and the converer just can't get it up. If you bought one when Dan at TW was selling these, then you're one of the lucky ones that got handpicked KL4's that can run well of a single 123. Otherwise, it's Luxeon Vf lottery.

CM

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

The KL4 is the line that starts with the highest output and shows the least amount of constant regulation. It's also the one that runs the brightest for the first 1-hour and 40-minutes. At the 2-hour and 25-minute mark, it takes the lead again.

DumboRAT

Enlightened

Cool data. Pretty much confirms the more qualitative observations put up earlier by one of our own.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Like CM said, the lottery is the breakout point here -- win on the draw, like *_everyone_* who got a hand-picked unit from Dan at Tactical Warehouse did, and you've got yourself a nifty little light that ran long, bright, and cool, with a nice white color.

But lose out on that lottery, and it's anything but. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is yet another reason I just can't understand why SureFire spanked our beloved Tactical Warehouse and made Dan stop selling this awesome combo. They (SF) essentially had a unit which would have put up a very good fight with ARC's products in this segment, but instead not only dropped the ball, but sourly ticked off many CPF'ers, who, myself included, are highly loyal to Dan and Tactical Warehouse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I got mine from Dan "back in the days," and like CM and others have stepped forward to say, yup, they're winners. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

14C

Enlightened

Maybe SureFire did not want to see the comparisons of the units that work well in this configuration to the units that don't popping up?

That might open a can of worms with their customer base.

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
The KL4 is the line that starts with the highest output and shows the least amount of constant regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, then if I had to answer the subject question, I'd say "it has the least amount of regulation."

Great chart though, Ray!

kubolaw

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
kubolaw said:
(I guess some people who love regulated output might have a little nit to pick).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Ah, then if I had to answer the subject question, I'd say "it has the least amount of regulation."

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I call 'em or what?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

A KL4 head with one of the new 17335 LiIOns in a Vital Gear 1x123 body is probably the neatest combo of all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I'm going to do some more testing over the weekend with my other KL4's. Of the ones I have, all of them work in the 1x123 configuration.

DumboRAT

Enlightened

I believe "the problem" is not if the KL4s will work in this configuration, but rather, how well.

Losers of the lottery often come away with units that will work, just that they cast horrible light.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Mr. Blue

Enlightened

my KL4 on one cell would be ideal if I could have a dimmer switch on it...It is a great set up for me....my vendor handpicked the head

Phil_B

Enlightened

I never even thought to try run my KL4 on one 123A,assuming it wouldn't power up. I just did,and I've now stopped wanting an KL1 for my E1e.White and bright.
Great chart Ray and you just saved me $40 too! :-D

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

By the colors on my monitor, the one that has the highest initial output is the one that drops off at 65 mins. Can you replot that graph with different types of lines (dotted, dashes, etc.)?

alberto

Enlightened

Thanks very much for the chart. Initially I couldn't see the attraction of the KL4/E1e combo, but after using it for a while, its small size and bright white light have now made it my favorite. It simply beats any other light that I have for size, output, and performance. Highly recommended.

batterystation

Enlightened

This has been pointed out in other threads too, but I will briefly mention it again. Another plus is since you are under-driving the LED, it runs more efficiently and therefore produces more LIGHT where the Arcs produce HEAT. You will find your battery life is better with the KL4 on one 123 than the Arcs. Cooler and brighter and better battery life!!! Awesome Nascar!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

What I find interesting is how the KL4 rebounds afer the first few minutes, after suffering a drastic drop in output. I have another test of a different KL4 on 1-cell that almost finished. I'll add it to this same chart after it's done.