Jetbeam        
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Modern Technology and times

Default Re: Modern Technology and times

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    Yup, me too, DOS or CP/M with an S100 or ISA bus

CP/M - we used to have a Kaypro "luggable" CP/M machine at work.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    It's easy to get addicted to the internet. Hard to believe it used to not exist, but I vaguely remember.
    As a 1980s kid I'll always remember life before The Great Link. In the early/mid 90s I got a bit of a head start on things with BBSs, but it wasn't until circa 1998 that routine internet access was a thing for me.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

3g was really good enough. Now it is 4g Lte and fixing to be 5g. 5g is supposed to be unhealthy for us and critters. .
    3G couldn't keep up with demand thus is being phased out so that spectrum can be re-allocated to more efficient protocols.

5G is no more harmful (which is to say "best we can determine, not at all") than 4G. The main impact will be more efficient utilization of spectrum through better protocols and segmentation via microsites. High-band mmWave ~gigabit performance is likely to be extremely limited since just about anything attenuates that signal - your hand, vegetation, glass, the air itself - and thus it demands true line-of-sight to work.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic*

3g did get overcrowded, but it did work just fine when it was new. To be honest I liked analogue the best, but it couldn't handle too much traffic either, but it sure had the range.

Well you're welcome to your opinion about 5g, but I disagree with you on that. I've heard that it is at microwave frequencies and could have an effect on people and creatures the same as being slow microwaved, but the ones behind it would downplay it because they want it. I'm not going to drink their cool aid, but I can't do a thing about it cept wait and see. I'm going to avoid it as long as I can though.
    Whoops, got to go....my tin foil hat is crooked.

Well you're welcome to your opinion about 5g, but I disagree with you on that. I've heard that it is at microwave frequencies and could have an effect on people and creatures the same as being slow microwaved, but the ones behind it would downplay it because they want it. I'm not going to drink their cool aid, but I can't do a thing about it cept wait and see. I'm going to avoid it as long as I can though.
    Whoops, got to go....my tin foil hat is crooked.
    Modern cell phone standards have always used microwave frequency, which is generally defined as being between 300Mhz and 300Ghz. Best I can tell, net transmit power at cell sites for 5G is limited to tens of watts while handsets are unlikely to transmit at even a full watt. Contrast with microwave ovens that are 700 watts or more, directing all that power into a very small volume and still taking longer than you'd like to warm up that Hot Pocket.

Flashaholic*

Well, we'll see. What you said sounds good and I will consider it in with the rest of what I heard and read. I myself hope your're right because it's coming with no way of stopping it. That line of sight thing doesn't sound too good though if 5g is going to be all that's out there and someone is in a rural area with no signal. I wonder how they will fix that?

Well, we'll see. What you said sounds good and I will consider it in with the rest of what I heard and read. I myself hope your're right because it's coming with no way of stopping it. That line of sight thing doesn't sound too good though if 5g is going to be all that's out there and someone is in a rural area with no signal. I wonder how they will fix that?
    Electromagnetic radiation (i.e. radio, microwave, IR, visible light, UV, x-rays, gamma rays) has two pathways to harm you - ionization and heating via absorption. The upper reaches of UV is where ionization starts, so the microwave frequencies used for cell phones cannot hurt you via ionization. As mentioned previously, microwave absorption that cause significant heating takes far more power than your handset is physically capable of at all and the power levels any normal distance from the transmitter will be a fraction of the full transmit power because of inverse-square; even literally hugging the transmitter will only bump that energy up to tens of watts.

The are three frequency bands for 5G:
    • Low-Band : ~700MHz, which has excellent signal propagation through foliage and buildings. A downside is that sites will have to be separated by considerable distances. Expect low-band to be deployed in rural and as a backup channel for phones that end up in sutuations where the other bands can't reach.
    • Mid-Band : ~1.5GHz - ~5GHz in numerous bands (mixed in with existing 4G LTE bands) will do the real heavy lift of 5G; for most users this will be similar to 4G LTE
    • High-band : 26-41GHz in numerous bands, the mmwave that's been the subject of so much hype; only expected to be deployed in places with large numbers of pedestrians with good lines of sight to the likely numerous transmitters due to the very short effective range of the signals and the fact that they're blocked by almost anything - 100 meters under perfect conditions may be a stretch

There's been a major deployment of mid-band sites in my area. The towers are tiny relative to the ubiquitous ~20m mast with a triangle basket - they're ~8m tall with 3 sector antennas at the peak and occasionally what looks to be a 4th omnidirectional antenna atop, spaced about every ~500 meters along major roads.

In 1969 my grandma told me Kool Aid would put a hole in my stomach. In 1973 my dad said he uses Coca Cola to rid the battery terminals on his pickup of corosion so obviously it would kill me. In the 1980's I was told Florida would be under water by 1990. In 1999 I was told the world was going to collapse due to the Y2K thing murdering every computer. In 2007 I was told the world has 2 more years worth of oil left. In 2012 or so I was told that 4g would give me brain cancer. In 2019 I was told that 5g would give me brain cancer.

Welp, kool aid and Coca Cola did not harm me, Florida still aint under water, I made it past Y2K and so far……no brain cancer from a celphone.

Now at my work I'd love to see teleport technology just simply because the project I'm starting soon is 50 miles long and will have things spaced out throughout. Never mind it's 60 miles from home. It's like I could get in my truck at 6am and drive until 8 just to ride past and wave at everybody. Then turn around and head back the other direction and it's lunch time. So far I put in about 200 miles a day. No biggy yet. But once it kicks off say Fred at one end needs to see me but Paul at the other end does too? I either need a teleport or a doppleganger……
    John 3:16

OK. I am willing to admit the world coming to an end in 2012 Mayan calendar thing may have been a hoax and the global warming palm trees in the north pole predictions might been off by a few decades, but I'm telling you Y2k is a thing, it is just taking some time for the full impact of the devastation to be realized.

..................That line of sight thing doesn't sound too good though ...................
    Other than low frequency, and getting beyond the AM spectrum, it's all line of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    Other than low frequency, and getting beyond the AM spectrum, it's all line of sight.
    While this is true, the high-band 5G frequencies have problems penetrating much anything. Typical 4G frequencies between 410Mhz and 5.9GHz do not suffer these problems and will penetrate the likes of vegetation, metal, glass, sheetrock, wood, concrete to varying degrees to the point that your handset, generally transmitting at less than a watt, can reach a tower miles away with obstructions between you. Contrast with high-band 5G which is rapidly attenuated by oxygen in atmosphere and for the most part outright blocked by the things that 4G can go through with relative ease.

Flashaholic*

Ok, I do feel better about 5g now.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:22 AM.

I`m still waiting for my 1949 Interocitor* and those jet packs and hover cars we were promised and they haven`t even Started a Moonbase yet!

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intero...rocitor_device

[but I'm telling you Y2k is a thing]
    The Y2.03k crisis still looms for anyone that hasn't performed a proper fix on their code:
    They hope "windowing" will prove adequate until these computers are replaced - or until programmers can devote enough time and money to make permanent repairs.

Windowing sets up a logic program that tricks a computer into functioning as if it is processing dates in the year 2000 and beyond. But the method lasts only for a certain period, or window, of time, such as 30, 50 or 70 years.

In a 30-year fix, for example, the computer would interpret any number from "00" to "29" as years in the 2000s. But after "29" it goes back to years in the 1900s.

Most companies and government agencies are choosing to use windowing because it is quicker, easier and more economical. The permanent fix, called "expansion," requires a tedious line-by-line repair of all the dates expressed in two-digit years rather than four digits.
    2.03 for 30 years, since that's of special relevance to the financial industry ala the 30-year mortgage.

My employer still has a backend application with the AS400 greenscreen UI ... running on native hardware. There's a part of me that hopes it hasn't been fixed and they're forced to replace it when it can't calculate dates correctly since it's absolutely horrible to deal with.

Flashaholic*

Lets see... to understand it from a blonde's perspective- (all this is over my head)....

I guess there is a real problem looming then that might rear its ol ugly head again by 2029 or 2030 and the quick and easy fix was to put a band aid on a rabid dog bite when in reality a rabies shot is the solution.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-04-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Lets see... to understand it from a blonde's perspective- (all this is over my head)....

I guess there is a real problem looming then that might rear its ol ugly head again by 2029 or 2030 and the quick and easy fix was to put a band aid on a rabid dog bite when in reality a rabies shot is the solution.
    If the software hasn't been fully patched, yes. But most Y2k crash-remediation plans had full fixes baked in - at least for widely-used software - to move to 4-digit date standards (or better, lest there be a Y10k crisis 8000 years from now).

Flashaholic*

Oh, ok. That's good then.

If I recall correctly some older MACs have a Y2.034k bug and will roll over to the Unix epoch birthdate of Jan 1st 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Unix epoch birthdate of Jan 1st 1970.
    A major enterprise system I used to use ~5 years ago logged occasional 1969-12-31 23:59:59.999 timestamps that confused me until I learned about the beginning of time in the UNIX universe : 1970-01-01 00:00:00.000. I then figures that pre-1970 timestamps were likely null or invalid values.
    Last edited by idleprocess; 03-05-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo

+

blue pill or red pill

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

blue pill or red pill
    HA! What a great question.
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    As a 1980s kid I'll always remember life before The Great Link. In the early/mid 90s I got a bit of a head start on things with BBSs, but it wasn't until circa 1998 that routine internet access was a thing for me.

I was Sysop of my own BBS for nearly 10 years, I remember having to eventually get a second landline in for it. I mostly dealt in warez and later when I got a more powerful computer (an Amiga 1200) I also served as a FidoNet node (early email of sorts). I`ll never forget the time in the mid 1990`s having a chat with Cactus Jack (one of my regulars) and asking him about "the Internet" and him telling "Don`t bother, I`v been on there, it`s crap!" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    HA! What a great question.
    +

Matrix 1999

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Matrix 1999
    Yes, and my life 2021.
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    I was Sysop of my own BBS for nearly 10 years, I remember having to eventually get a second landline in for it. I mostly dealt in warez and later when I got a more powerful computer (an Amiga 1200) I also served as a FidoNet node (early email of sorts). I`ll never forget the time in the mid 1990`s having a chat with Cactus Jack (one of my regulars) and asking him about "the Internet" and him telling "Don`t bother, I`v been on there, it`s crap!" LOL
    The good old days of computer hardware. I still have my Amiga 1000 although I haven't touched it in ages. I used to have it hooked up to a Hayes compatible 2400 baud modem for BBS use. That was screaming fast in those days.

I had a US Robotics Courier 9600 and later the Courier 14.4, I actually used the same 14.4 for my first trip into internet land, it was totally dead back then there wasn`t really anything on here (I was using Voyager) AMirc was better though because there were people on there at least, mostly hackers and tech savy sorts but it was really neat to be able to have Live Group chats unlike the one to one in BBS land. Slowly as the years passed it took off, probably 1998 I saw the most growth and started seeing this "WWW." thing in the real world occasionally, then the AOL CDs started pouring in! LOL
    I knew a guy that worked at local(ish) University science dept and he got me my first Internet conection via a private number known only to his dept, technically my first ISP
    Re your A1000, I`d get it re-capped before powering it up and also check your RTC batt! I can put you in touch with a guy that`s Amiga crazy to this day and has all sorts of upgrades and spares if You need them?

Thanks Katherine. I'm sure the RTC battery is shot and has corroded the nearby copper foils by now. I will carefully check out the mobo before I power it up. I also doubt that my copies of Kickstart and Workbench are usable any more. I mostly used that machine for BBS stuff and learning 3D animation with Videoscape. We had a couple of Amigas at work that we used as character generators. We also has a Video Toaster 1.0. Good times.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast