Malkoff        
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Modern Technology and times

Default Re: Modern Technology and times

I just reviewed our internet plan. We have up to 40mbps. In the evening The Lovely Mrs Gardiner and I stream Amazon Prime while our two sons game on line. Everyone is pleased with their performance. Our provider, Century Link, doesn't offer anything faster for the time being.
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Meanwhile after 20 minutes Windows is still showing "getting Windows ready, do not turn off your computer"……
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Is there any practicality to a 150mbps connection compared to 25mpbs? I think you need about 5mbps (actual) to stream Netflix right?

For what I do, my 800mbps plan doesn't seem any different from the 15mbps plan years ago. I understand it has more to do with the actual server you're connecting to right? So the weather forecast model page I use is still going to be slow no matter what. And practically back into the 1990s speed when there's a big hurricane and everyone else is logging in.
    If you have a lot of people streaming on your connection at once, or are into gaming there can be a big difference. I have a 50Mbps plan and the upload speed is nowhere near that it is lucky to be 2Mbps. Latency is also a big issue in that slower speeds I think have less priority leading to higher latency which in gaming means the other guy gets there first while you are stuck in a micro limbo waiting for the server to send you the first packet. Another thing to consider is you often don't get what is advertised either and when congestion happens your speed drops such that a 10 drops to a 5 and 150 may drop to 75. As the money and internet speeds advance you may find a lot more streaming is 2K or even 4K and will test lower speed connections.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

i switched to mac os becuase intel kind of sucks now. i love my m1 mac
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Meanwhile after 20 minutes Windows is still showing "getting Windows ready, do not turn off your computer"……
    Oh man you gotta switch to a SSD (solid state drive). I bought a nice one for my main computer, about $65 and a cheap one for my basement (not often used) computer for $25. Both made the computers start up in about 9 seconds compared to a minute or more. Shutdown is about 5 seconds after you click "Shut down". Amazing upgrade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    If you have a lot of people streaming on your connection at once, or are into gaming there can be a big difference. I have a 50Mbps plan and the upload speed is nowhere near that it is lucky to be 2Mbps. Latency is also a big issue in that slower speeds I think have less priority leading to higher latency which in gaming means the other guy gets there first while you are stuck in a micro limbo waiting for the server to send you the first packet. Another thing to consider is you often don't get what is advertised either and when congestion happens your speed drops such that a 10 drops to a 5 and 150 may drop to 75. As the money and internet speeds advance you may find a lot more streaming is 2K or even 4K and will test lower speed connections.
    Good to know, thanks!
    GOOD TINT!

*Flashaholic*

Is there any practicality to a 150mbps connection compared to 25mpbs? I think you need about 5mbps (actual) to stream Netflix right?

For what I do, my 800mbps plan doesn't seem any different from the 15mbps plan years ago. I understand it has more to do with the actual server you're connecting to right? So the weather forecast model page I use is still going to be slow no matter what. And practically back into the 1990s speed when there's a big hurricane and everyone else is logging in.
    I don't think there is for most people. Here's a true story. A few years ago I switched from Spectrum to FIOS. Included in the new package was 1Gbps Internet. I'm actually getting close to that according to the app from FIOS that tests the speed between my modem and the fiber optic line. Last year I ran some of the regular broadband speed tests. They all capped out at around 100Mbps. This is a real head scratcher. I have Gbit ethernet on my motherboard. Maybe I need a new cable. But in any case the fact I haven't bothered pursuing fixing the problem that aggressively tells me for my uses there's no real difference between 100Mbps and 1Gbps. It's similar to the situation for storage. For a lot of people a few hundred GB to one or two TB is enough. Those who need a lot more already know it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    I don't think there is for most people. Here's a true story. A few years ago I switched from Spectrum to FIOS. Included in the new package was 1Gbps Internet. I'm actually getting close to that according to the app from FIOS that tests the speed between my modem and the fiber optic line. Last year I ran some of the regular broadband speed tests. They all capped out at around 100Mbps. This is a real head scratcher. I have Gbit ethernet on my motherboard. Maybe I need a new cable. But in any case the fact I haven't bothered pursuing fixing the problem that aggressively tells me for my uses there's no real difference between 100Mbps and 1Gbps. It's similar to the situation for storage. For a lot of people a few hundred GB to one or two TB is enough. Those who need a lot more already know it.
    I'm wondering if there is some trickery going on as I have 50Mbps internet and got a new smart TV using my phone I tested it around 50 but my TV set registered only 5, then after a month it averages around 25. I'm wondering if certain sites/devices/apps are allowed full speed and normal stuff is throttled. There was providers throttling sites that streamed video at one time like Netflix and such and cell providers throttle video either by speed or limiting resolution. Long ago before there were speed tests the test that most used was download speed watching the KB/s and you could also see the speed on your dialup connection I think but now they don't show speed on connections they force you to use second party software to try and figure out things. I do see my Wifi speed but 54Mb/s is meaningless if your Internet only is 1Mb/s you won't every use all the bandwidth provided by your router.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Oh man you gotta switch to a SSD (solid state drive). I bought a nice one for my main computer, about $65 and a cheap one for my basement (not often used) computer for $25. Both made the computers start up in about 9 seconds compared to a minute or more. Shutdown is about 5 seconds after you click "Shut down". Amazing upgrade!!!
    It's a unit provided by the client I work for. You get what you get when you make a living as a consultant for big brother.
    I just find other stuff to do while waiting.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-16-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Upgraded from 50Mb (symmetric) to 500Mb (symmetric) about 2 years ago primarily drop TV service and force migration to a new fiber platform (BPON >> GPON). I occasionally send/receive data beyond the ~6.25MB/s threshold of 50Mb service - have very occasionally gotten into the 40MB/s (320Mb/s). The main benefit is parallel operation - no single device will saturate the uplink any more.

Whenever the next speed tiers become available I might again upgrade by a factor of 10 - however the motivation is the same as last time: to force migration to a new platform (GPON >> XGSPON) since BPON is being retired and those customers are being migrated to GPON. Glad I re-routed the Cat5e last year - running Cat6e for 10GigE will be a relatively short project next time.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Good to know, thanks!
    upgrading from sata to m2 drive makes a big diifernce to
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

I`m really digging how cheap and fast electronic manufacturing has gotten in the music industry, there are so many previously impossible to afford things being made available now and accesible to almost anyone with an interest in it. Behringer have cloned in Eurorack format the old Moog System 55 from the 1960`s, I`v even bought a few modules myself, an original would set you back as much as a house!

This is so true. Back in the day I was fascinated by early synths to the point that I wanted to build one myself. Anyone else remember PAIA kits? Anyway I got as far as building a swept bandpass filter from scratch. This made a neat wah-wah effect when I ran a square wave through it and this taught me about harmonics. But then I ran into a brick wall with the cost of a keyboard at the time so I never went any farther with it. These days everything is so inexpensive and accessible.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 04-17-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Flashaholic*

I get faster speeds when I use up my high speed data by clearing the browsing data and for chrome I have it set for "all time" and then I go to apps and clear the rest of my browser's cach there. It won't mess with passwords or bookmarks or even sign you out of inportant sights unless you let it. I can just about chose what I want to save. Y'all talking about connections being slower and I figured I'd suggest that- you all probably already know that. It can make the difference of loading a page or not loading it or loading it 5+ minutes later. Those little cookie spies add up and drag down your speed and you can't take full advantage of the speed you have. Also, on android there is a way to give apps full internet access or take it away. Seems like the google apps get more access than the browser. If you can root your phone and get superuser access you can delete that garbage. Samsung phones have even more bloatware. If you want to know what apps are accessing the internet in the background you can get a firewall and just set it to filter and show all traffic. Most google apps call home and also spy on you. They say that they do it so they will know what kind of adds to throw at you. One time before I almost entirely quit using fb they were throwing flashlight adds at me. Fb scared me when they could guess what I was going to type and while I was typing I saw that what I was trying to say was already there and the way I was going to say it- talk about profiling someone.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-18-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Flashaholic*

Bykfixer, you might be able to boot faster by changing some of your startup programs and apps so that they will start up only when (or if) you need them and not at boot. Windows has some utilities to also help you to clean up your pc so it will run more efficient. Cclean/Ccleaner goes way beyond that and cleans the registry be careful with that although I never had a problem and I lack common since sometimes. I don't recommend you use the "wipe free space" option in Cclean if you have a solid state hard drive. I also like to run checkdisk and also delete unessential files and then compact files to tighten up where the unused files were, but then uncompact them so they will pull up faster. Once uncompacted the files will still take up less space. I've done this for the whole "c" section of the disk.
    Majorgeeks is a good safe place to get apps and software. Some websites will try to attach something extra to your downloaded file, but not majorgeeks- at least not the last time I've used them a year or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    ... The main benefit is parallel operation - no single device will saturate the uplink any more.

Dropbox will come close. We are seeing it hit sustained of a few hundred meg. It will saturate a 200 meg line. Gig line will see sustained of a few hundred with spikes higher.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

It ran fine, then did an update and for a couple of days I wondered if it didn't have a spyware or something. Then yesterday it began running normal again.

Flashaholic*

It ran fine, then did an update and for a couple of days I wondered if it didn't have a spyware or something. Then yesterday it began running normal again.
    Sometimes windows updates will do more harm than good. I like to set it to notify me of available updates and try to go through one by one. It's time consuming, but I like to have more hands on control since one or two of them messed with my internet and wifi connection. I don't care if they are trying to keep a hacker at a public place from hacking into my pc. My computer isn't any good to me if I can't get on the internet myself. Seems like (if I can remember) the the updates I'm suspicious of has "local" in their description. I'm also very careful about what I install and don't "automatic" or just "run" (on installation) anything. I save the files to documents or downloads and scan it with my resident antivirus and then two or three on demand scanners. I then check for windows' seal of verification and if it doesn't have that I will probably just delete the file or leave it in limbo while I get back on the web and investigate it on some forums. I don't want another rooted bootkit.

Edit: I'm glad your pc straightened itself out. I think to some degree software can communicate with and cooperate with other software and learn/determine how to play well with each other.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-18-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Flashaholic*

If you suspect that a lot of others have logged in after you did on a particular connection you could kill the connection and reestablish it. The ones that come on after you usually get priority over you and then theirs slows down as others come online.

Flashaholic*

[I wondered if it didn't have a spyware or something]

I does bykfixer- except it's one designed for the system by the designer of the system. They say it's for advertising purposes and maybe so, but what's up with fb selling our data? I bet other companies are also doing it. I guess it's called the web because everything is intertwined, but it also entangles folks. I wonder who's the spider?
    I wish I had a quarter for every dollar microsoft, fb and google made off of me- might be able to afford a new doublewide to go fry something in.

i just reinstall my os if computer is slow

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    i just reinstall my os if computer is slow
    Done that a few times and it works well. Only thing is I always lost everything I had and I was either too lazy or I didn't know how to save stuff back then (2005-2006). Time I got everything back on it and reinstalled windows updates it was kind of bloated again, but still it better. I try to go deep and locate what is weighing it down now. When I wanted another antivirus I had to download an uninstall tool made by the makers of the antivirus. It deleted more than the windows delete feature, but it still left bits in the program files and registry. Sometimes I has to manually go through the registry. I had to learn where to look. If there is a search feature when reviewing files, if you know the keywords for the files you're searching for it makes things much easier.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-18-2021 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    [I wondered if it didn't have a spyware or something]

I does bykfixer- except it's one designed for the system by the designer of the system. They say it's for advertising purposes and maybe so, but what's up with fb selling our data? I bet other companies are also doing it. I guess it's called the web because everything is intertwined, but it also entangles folks. I wonder who's the spider?
    I wish I had a quarter for every dollar microsoft, fb and google made off of me- might be able to afford a new doublewide to go fry something in.
    I pretty much knew early on that FB was all about selling as much of the info they could get about you to anyone for profit. They didn't get super rich protecting your privacy as FB has had endless circumstances of privacy issues that is why I never opened a FB account, too risky and too insecure I don't like people making billions off of selling out information of others at all while pretending that they are all about privacy etc.
    I would bet they use cookies to track you across the internet if they could and sell that info too and their apps probably help track your habits.
    Last edited by Lynx_Arc; 04-18-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I pretty much knew early on that FB was all about selling as much of the info they could get about you to anyone for profit. They didn't get super rich protecting your privacy as FB has had endless circumstances of privacy issues that is why I never opened a FB account, too risky and too insecure I don't like people making billions off of selling out information of others at all while pretending that they are all about privacy etc.
    I agree. Zukerburg is two faced.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    Done that a few times and it works well. Only thing is I always lost everything I had and I was either too lazy or I didn't know how to save stuff back then (2005-2006). Time I got everything back on it and reinstalled windows updates it was kind of bloated again, but still it better. I try to go deep and locate what is weighing it down now. When I wanted another antivirus I had to download an uninstall tool made by the makers of the antivirus. It deleted more than the windows delete feature, but it still left bits in the program files and registry. Sometimes I has to manually go through the registry. I had to learn where to look. If there is a search feature when reviewing files, if you know the keywords for the files you're searching for it makes things much easier.
    what cpu and ram does it have?

Flashaholic*

Another thing about fb and even any forum. Anything that lifts you can also drop you. I think fb is more of a platform than a forum though. As I have always said- fb promises much, but delivers little. The last time I actually had an account I just got back on there to recover a stolen whatsamacallit and it worked. In my pretition to the suspect I pronounced some bad things on them and the ones involved if they didn't return it. I liked something that the girlfriend of the supposed suspect said and I could see that she had a flirty profile and yep, she couldn't help checking out my wall and read what I has wrote. Her boyfriend was innocent, but the real fellow lived across the steet cadycorner from her and she knew them. She hit me up on messenger and told me who had my stolen property and before the sun went down that day I was holding the item in my hand.
    I stayed on fb a while longer and deactivated my account again. My wife still has one and she has the same friends and kinfolk I did, so I droped in every now and then. I haven't been on there in over a year or two and it was only to say hi to everyone and check messages (no fb apps and no more messenger-only opera browser and opera mini). That was also the last time my wife got on there. I liked those redneck and mexican word for the day pages. Some of it was clean and bust your gut funny, but on stuff like that I had to take the bad with the good and was learning new cuss words that I didn't want to learn, but what ran me off in a hurry was them guessing what I was going to say before I said it and a friend seemingly turning on me. I just had enough already of fb and needed a little shove and got one.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-18-2021 at 02:16 PM.

I just figured why there were times I would be notified a document I sent was the same one I sent before with a new file name.

I pull up a document, say a word document that is a daily report. Often there are a bunch of places on it with the same information like my name, project number, report number etc. I just hit "save as" and give it a new name. Now if it's a repetative assignment I can change the date and a few words. Other days the body of the report is rewritten. Now in the DOS years I'd hit "control s" every few minutes as I typed. But I got out of that habit after I started using a mouse.

Anything I save on my company computer goes to their cloud first. Then saves to my hard drive if I'm online. Because of that when using a celphone vpn hotspot there are times it'll take an entire minute to save to the cloud. So between using about 5x the amount of data the company phone is contracted for each month and that ridiculous lag time I usually type my reports off line. Things are fine. But sometimes I'm online when writing a report, because I need to check emails and do stuff at the server. And that's usually because I'm strapped for computer time. And this week I realized I hit save and shut down the computer. So my new report "file" name made it to the cloud but the work didn't make it before I turned off the computer. Nor did it save to my hard drive. So later on I send what I thought was a correct report when it's just a carbon copy of the previous one under a different name.

The trick it seems is to go back to some habits from the DOS days while typing.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-18-2021 at 06:01 PM.

its crazy today what you csn bet for 1 hundred bucks

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    what cpu and ram does it have?
    I don't remember. It was an old e-machines with windows xp home edition. I got it used from my mother in law in 2005. It was bought new 2 or 3 years before that. That thing is long gone and now I have a hp pavilion from 2007 or 2008 with vista on it. No problem with that one, but it has been a couple of years since I've used it because of the convenience of smart phones.

Flashaholic*

I just figured why there were times I would be notified a document I sent was the same one I sent before with a new file name. I pull up a document, say a word document that is a daily report. Often there are a bunch of places on it with the same information like my name, project number, report number etc. I just hit "save as" and give it a new name. Now if it's a repetative assignment I can change the date and a few words. Other days the body of the report is rewritten. Now in the DOS years I'd hit "control s" every few minutes as I typed. But I got out of that habit after I started using a mouse. Anything I save on my company computer goes to their cloud first. Then saves to my hard drive if I'm online. Because of that when using a celphone vpn hotspot there are times it'll take an entire minute to save to the cloud. So between using about 5x the amount of data the company phone is contracted for each month and that ridiculous lag time I usually type my reports off line. Things are fine. But sometimes I'm online when writing a report, because I need to check emails and do stuff at the server. And that's usually because I'm strapped for computer time. And this week I realized I hit save and shut down the computer. So my new report "file" name made it to the cloud but the work didn't make it before I turned off the computer. Nor did it save to my hard drive. So later on I send what I thought was a correct report when it's just a carbon copy of the previous one under a different name. The trick it seems is to go back to some habits from the DOS days while typing.
    I never did any documents or anything professional on a computer. I just fooled around with computers till 2005. When big trucks came into mercedes I had to enter their trailer numbers on a computer- I didn't even know how to use the back button in 2002-3. I didn't know such a critter existed, but it made sence that one would be needed. I thought I was going to lose my job over my ignorance. A lady there was giving computer classes, but after I learned about the back button I figured I knew enough since I already knew how to enter numbers. I squeaked by somehow and not long after that I still made good money and got raises and such and didn't even have to mess with computers anymore till I wanted to some years later. Computers scared me because I was afraid I would mess something up and get fussed at and have to pay for something I broke. It's a wonder I can do as much as I do now. I would be bogged down if I had to use one of those office programs, but I know where the back button is.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-18-2021 at 07:19 PM.

+

Almost impossible to wrap your head around the amount of electricity bit coin mining uses [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
    [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
    [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0HC1Udk6-E

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast