Malkoff        
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Modern Technology and times

Default Re: Modern Technology and times

With smart phones, instead of buying an Ipod better off buying a used smart phone as I added a 200GB memory card to mine so it can hold all my music which wouldn't fit on my 30G Ipod Video.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

lynx its crazy how big modern microsd cards are now 1000 gigs!
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    lynx its crazy how big modern microsd cards are now 1000 gigs!
    Yes, which is quickly eroding the hard drive market. I once considered them replacing Blu-Ray 4K with flash memory cartridges like the Atari 2600 etc so you could do 8K or whatever and put them on store shelves in a lot less space. My only concern about flash memory is longevity vs other media storage.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

i think movies will all be sold thru broad band
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

i think movies will all be sold thru broad band

The security of that physical copy though I like tangible things.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    i trust a copy on my local storage. and kf ha storage dies you will have a free download

Downloadable copies are good, but have serious drawbacks.
    1)You cannot sell a downloaded copy once you have gotten tired of it.
    2)You cannot easily loan a downloaded copy to others (family,friends)
    3)You cannot will or inherit a downloaded copy and if the site where your account is at knows you have died they can delete that account permanently the agreement is only with the owner.
    4)Downloaded copies often are inferior in quality to original discs as they compress them more to safe space and data costs to stream them to your device (download).
    5)You have to have devices capable of playing a downloaded copy if you want to view it, one to play the download the other to view it on if it doesn't have a good enough screen.
    6)Downloaded copies can become corrupt or deleted and have to be redownloaded.
    7)If you have a large enough collection downloaded takes up a lot of space and can take awhile to download.
    8)Downloaded copies often have no extras at all, no extra language or commentary tracks, no extra editions or features.
    9)When you get a bunch of lousy movies online in your library they are hard to purge so you have to scroll through a bunch of duds to see the good ones.

just for fun i like to edit 4 k movies useing h265 12 bit. it will blow your mind how small ya can make the file and still look pretty good. but a course it wont look as good as a 100 gig bluray disk

i trust a copy on my local storage. and kf ha storage dies you will have a free download
    If the sudden-death collapse of many an online service promising "lifetime access" to media has taught us anything it's that if you don't have full control of a local copy that's and the means to decrypt it, you don't "own" it.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

What I think is really nuts is they try and sell the digital copies for $15 when you can have the blu-ray and sometimes a DVD too for another $5. I've seen dvds of movies for $10 and the digital copy is $15. IMO digital copies are way too expensive I'd rather wait till they drop the price of the blu-rays some then get them AND the same $15 digital copy.

Flashaholic*

This is kind of related. I've seen some virtual reality clips recently and I kind of wonder if they can now make movies and other stuff so good that it could come a time where that would be the norm instead of the exception- I mean use computor generated people instead of real actors and actresses. It could put hollywood out of business. No more paying folks to act, no more stunt men or women and no more crashing and exploding real cars. It would save the movie industry a bunch of money and since it is all fake anyway what difference does it make if the people in it are also?
    Even if the plot is based off a true story what difference does it make if the people playing the parts aren't real?
    This is coming from a person though that still likes looney tunes.
    Lol, "space jam" saved our marriage on our first anniversary. My wife and I got into it pretty bad and then that came on the hotel tv and we watched it and got into a good mood.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-21-2021 at 06:13 PM.

I've thought about this also. While they can make photo-realistic CGI characters and effects now, it still doesn't look quite right to me. And just knowing that they're not real changes the whole mood of the film for me. I'm hoping that real actors stick around in the industry because it just makes the story feel more authentic, SFX notwithstanding.

Flashaholic*

You got a point there. I just put it down in theory, but I don't really know how I would feel if the entertainment industry totally went to that. At least now they use actors and actresses to do the voice parts in movies like shrek...etc. Eddie Murphy was perfect for the voice of the donkey. Actually though Shrek is still considered animation and is a weak example of what I was referring to. You can count on the industry taking the path that will make the most money.

I've thought about CGI actors and what I've decided is real actors will get popular and their likeness and voice will be "sold" to studios to use in fabricating movies with them all created on computer. The advantage of this will be like in the case of Paul Walker in FF8 where he was there in CGI after he had died. Imagine John Wayne making another dozen movies now in CGI. An actor could look in their prime in CGI after they have died 20 years and their family would remain rich. It could get cheaper not having to pay actors as high of a salary when you don't need them in person at all just sell your likeness and get a small check every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I've thought about this also. While they can make photo-realistic CGI characters and effects now, it still doesn't look quite right to me. And just knowing that they're not real changes the whole mood of the film for me. I'm hoping that real actors stick around in the industry because it just makes the story feel more authentic, SFX notwithstanding.
    Watch the credits of any CGI-heavy high-budget film from the last 20 years and you'll realize that it takes veritable armies of CGI/motion capture/post-production artists to insert a photo-realistic character into film - be it splicing into a live action scene or one that is wholly CGI. A-list Hollywood talent is by no means cheap, but they're cheaper than hiring hundreds of A-list VFX people.

This could change, of course. In exchange for a bit less detail and living closer to the trough of the uncanny valley than Hollywood will suffer, video game production tool can get this done for far cheaper. Seen countless versions of these with results varying from the equivalent of animated campfire skits using the original Half Life engine to some really interesting short films that look like they're but a post-processing pass away from being adequate for a second-tier Hollywood film.

There are also some stories and genres - fantasy and sci-fi come to mind - where using animation or all-in 3D CGI yields benefits and being freed from the constraints of reality can yield an aesthetic that's not possible with live action.

But I doubt filming live action of professional actors is in danger of being displaced by CGI anytime soon.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic*

All of you have some real good points. The entertainment industry could use you all as consultants.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    All of you have some real good points. The entertainment industry could use you all as consultants.
    I don't have the hutzpah to charge extravagant sums to borrow someone else's watch in order to tell them the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I've thought about CGI actors and what I've decided is real actors will get popular and their likeness and voice will be "sold" to studios to use in fabricating movies with them all created on computer. The advantage of this will be like in the case of Paul Walker in FF8 where he was there in CGI after he had died. Imagine John Wayne making another dozen movies now in CGI. An actor could look in their prime in CGI after they have died 20 years and their family would remain rich. It could get cheaper not having to pay actors as high of a salary when you don't need them in person at all just sell your likeness and get a small check every now and then.
    Greg Bear had similar thoughts in Slant - the likenesses of memorable actors were licensed out by their estates decades after their deaths. Technology had improved then to the point that inserting their likeness into reality as plausible interactive holograms is nearly trivial:
    The wall-length mirror is virtual not reflective and the bathroom in the mirror is filled with female celebrities from times past, and she’s right in among them. Marilyn Monroe emerges from one stall, in the mirror, and adjusts her calf-length white dress. She catches Alice’s sight-line and smiles that sun-honey smile. “Your turn, sweetie,” she says.

Marilyn’s Character Estate Manager—CEM in the trade—never rents her cheap. She’s a perennial, no matter what decade is sly.
    The technology of today doesn't seem to be quite on track to hit what Greg Bear imagined what the 2060s would be like when he published the novel in 1997. But it sounds likely once the AI is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    If the sudden-death collapse of many an online service promising "lifetime access" to media has taught us anything it's that if you don't have full control of a local copy that's and the means to decrypt it, you don't "own" it.

Not an apples to apples comparison, but reminds me of the Photobucket fiasco recently. All the photos shared for "free" for years suddenly went away overnight, turning so many forums into wastelands of garbage.

Even music on Amazon Prime. I have a decent amount downloaded, but sometimes you go to listen to something and it's now gone.
    GOOD TINT!

I've thought about CGI actors and what I've decided is real actors will get popular and their likeness and voice will be "sold" to studios to use in fabricating movies with them all created on computer. The advantage of this will be like in the case of Paul Walker in FF8 where he was there in CGI after he had died. Imagine John Wayne making another dozen movies now in CGI. An actor could look in their prime in
    CGI after they have died 20 years and their family would remain rich. It could get cheaper not having to pay actors as high of a salary when you don't need them in person at all just sell your likeness and get a small check every now and then.
    +

Deepfakes are the one thing that truly make tech executives nervous.
    Not only extremely dangerous to peoples lives & society, but the potential liability to tech companies.

Combine facial recognition software in the wild with deepfakes, and there's almost no combination more toxic...
    ..wait there is, add in: massive data breaches, voice recorded/recognition, dna profile uploaded, peoples signatures uploaded, remote access to everything, backdoor to all data/software ect. ect. ect.
    Last edited by orbital; 04-22-2021 at 07:17 AM. Reason: -

Not an apples to apples comparison, but reminds me of the Photobucket fiasco recently. All the photos shared for "free" for years suddenly went away overnight, turning so many forums into wastelands of garbage.

Even music on Amazon Prime. I have a decent amount downloaded, but sometimes you go to listen to something and it's now gone.
    The problem with downloading media is likely that it is a proprietary format such that only that platform/app can access it. As you iterated other problems include the ability of the app/program to "check" the validity of the media and the account and either stop the program from accessing the downloaded content you have or deleting it entirely. A problem that happened to me is I downloaded movies in one app and when I tried to cast it to my TV..... wouldn't work at all but in another app it did. If they were normal data files able to be read by any program that can read "normal" media files that wouldn't be a problem at all.
    I guess what I'm saying is in the end they have the ability to control what you can watch/view/listen to that is supposed to be "yours" but you are only able to "rent" it for the rest of your life at their whim. It is quite possible with some of this "correctness" going around that some titles you have could "vanish" because they deem it "hateful" or whatever.

You guys are making me glad I bought a few spare VCR's. lol

Some of the youngsters I work with have never known life without "press any key to continue".
    Sadly some are still trying to figure out where the "any" key is. Sure their entire entertainment library is held on a device that fits in a shirt pocket, but will it be there tomorrow?
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-22-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    John 3:16

i truuly hate old tech. i hated vcrs then and more so now beta was better

"Enter Disk 4 to continue..."
    GOOD TINT!

+

1 single Bitcoin, at it's current value, used the same amount of electricity as 33.8 homes for an entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

1 single Bitcoin, at it's current value, used the same amount of electricity as 33.8 homes for an entire year.
    for real? damn why would some one mine?

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Happy Earth Day, huh?
    John 3:16

for real? damn why would some one mine?
    often they get power for free, they do it at work or hack others computers and steal computing power.

ill be glad when the bubble breaks. so there will be tons of gpus and cpus for sale

often they get power for free, they do it at work or hack others computers and steal computing power.
    Mining Bitcoin proper has been the realm of ASICs for several years now, such is the nature of its difficulty. Other cryptocurrencies - i.e. Monero and Ethereum - can be mined with CPUs or GPUs.

Getting power for as cheaply as possible is important, especially with BTC. A typical BTC mining rig can easily consume 3400W. The other currencies are likely not as power intensive per unit of output, but power is still a significant factor in the profit calculations.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast