Wuben        
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 391

Thread: Modern Technology and times

  1. #331

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

    Almost impossible to wrap your head around the amount of electricity bit coin mining uses [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
    [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
    [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0HC1Udk6-E
    i thought trying it on my m1 mac she sips power
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  2. #332
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    its crazy today what you csn bet for 1 hundred bucks
    It's a trip. My four gegabyte ram and 320 megabytes hard drive (hp pavilion) was good enough for anything I needed to do on a pc, but now you can do way better for way cheaper. My hp cost around $590 at circuit city and I bet I couldn't give it away now- not that I want to. I have some spare parts from my wifes pc along with a new seabreeze hard drive (low milieage). I just don't know where the boot sector is- that is where the rooted bootkit resides. I'm paranoid about even using the ram chips. That bootkit was still on it when I did a fresh restore from a cd. It was from Bangladesh and it was ALIVE! It even fought me over control of the mouse. I got fed up and slung that $629 pc out the door and it hit a tree and then hit the ground and it was raining. About two and a half hours later I felt bad and fetched it back. It's apart now and has some salvageable parts. That all happened before 2013. I still wonder how I could have solved that. That's the only virus, malware or spyware I knew of that I couldn't beat. I shouldn't have given up, but it was ALIVE!

  3. #333
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I've listened to folks talk about bit coins, but I still don't know much about them. All I know is that's too much change for me.

    Raggie33, that mack is built upon the linus kernel and so is android. You can add linus mint to your pc if you have enough room and chose whether to boot up in it or windows. I considered it a while back and almost had enough room on my laptop, but I wanted more room so I could have a wider margin just in case things expanded and crashed my computer. Linus mint is easier to get going for inexperienced folks like myself and it is lighter than other linus installs. Linus is also open source.

    I don't know if you have to start from scratch or not with mint, but I think you do with other versions. The only question is what to install first so that other stuff can piggyback on it and blend in. I reckon you'd have to install apps from a cd.
    I'm somewhat ignorant on linus, but I just wanted to put the ideal out there.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-18-2021 at 08:14 PM.

  4. #334
    *Flashaholic* turbodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    5,174

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I pretty much knew early on that FB was all about selling as much of the info they could get about you to anyone for profit. They didn't get super rich protecting your privacy as FB has had endless circumstances of privacy issues that is why I never opened a FB account, too risky and too insecure I don't like people making billions off of selling out information of others at all while pretending that they are all about privacy etc.
    I would bet they use cookies to track you across the internet if they could and sell that info too and their apps probably help track your habits.
    You didn't dream big enough.

    https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...030-15651-0_13

    Take inertial sensor data, aggregate it, and you can find all SORTS of interesting stuff.

    If you combine inertial sensor data, keyboard/touchscreen typing patterns, web surfing patterns, and so on... you have a very unique fingerprint of an individual person. Impossible to fake. Impossible to get away from. Cookies are just a distraction...

    Also, facebook collects data on you, even without an account.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1HM0DR
    Last edited by turbodog; 04-18-2021 at 10:09 PM.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

  5. #335
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You didn't dream big enough.

    https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...030-15651-0_13

    Take inertial sensor data, aggregate it, and you can find all SORTS of interesting stuff.

    If you combine inertial sensor data, keyboard/touchscreen typing patterns, web surfing patterns, and so on... you have a very unique fingerprint of an individual person. Impossible to fake. Impossible to get away from. Cookies are just a distraction...

    Also, facebook collects data on you, even without an account.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1HM0DR
    I agree with you turbodog. I knew it was worse than what Lynx_Arc and I said- I just held back because I already have my tin foil hat wearing label. I'm glad you mentioned it so it will be out there and be said.
    Firefox and fennec have the noscript add on that vertually blocks almost all javascript until you loosen it up per website and then it remembers your choice. You can block or loosen javascript at will. Noscript will block the fb, twitter, etc apps that lurk in hidden corners of websites. They hide in plain open sight really and you can see their symbols, but a lot of folks don't understand that if you can see their symbols they are embedded into the page and can collect data on you.
    I try not to use google apps- not even their keyboard. I use a google chrome variant that is part ungoogle chrome and part brave browser and is part other stuff. It is called bromite. I haven't tested it with a firewall yet, but it isn't supposed to call home to the google servers.
    Technically I'm fighting a loosing battle since android is google's operating system built over the linus kernel. I've got to try though and if they really want to find stuff out about me they will have to work for it.
    I use gmail, but not the app. Every time I sign in it asks for my birthday- saying it is manditory by law. What law? That's bull. They try not to leave an option of escaping the page, but I've found a way. I have to log in before I can see that page anyway, so I close it out and then click on my bookmark again and the other page is gone.
    Y'all know my age, but if google wants it they are going to search for it- I'm not giving it over willingly because of some crazy law. They probably already know my age- it's probably just a shuck and jive designed to cause me to believe they are really respecting my privacy. There isn't any real privacy on the net- not even through a vpn or thor servers.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-18-2021 at 11:02 PM.

  6. #336
    *Flashaholic* turbodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    5,174

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I threw facts out there. To think you can avoid it, or even mitigate it, is tinfoil hat territory.

    You forgot DNS history, mac addresses, ip ranges assigned to a specific ISP, and more.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

  7. #337

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    I agree with you turbodog. I knew it was worse than what Lynx_Arc and I said- I just held back because I already have my tin foil hat wearing label. I'm glad you mentioned it so it will be out there and be said.
    Firefox and fennec have the noscript add on that vertually blocks almost all javascript until you loosen it up per website and then it remembers your choice. You can block or loosen javascript at will. Noscript will block the fb, twitter, etc apps that lurk in hidden corners of websites. They hide in plain open sight really and you can see their symbols, but a lot of folks don't understand that if you can see their symbols they are embedded into the page and can collect data on you.
    I try not to use google apps- not even their keyboard. I use a google chrome variant that is part ungoogle chrome and part brave browser and is part other stuff. It is called bromite. I haven't tested it with a firewall yet, but it isn't supposed to call home to the google servers.
    Technically I'm fighting a loosing battle since android is google's operating system built over the linus kernel. I've got to try though and if they really want to find stuff out about me they will have to work for it.
    I use gmail, but not the app. Every time I sign in it asks for my birthday- saying it is manditory by law. What law? That's bull. They try not to leave an option of escaping the page, but I've found a way. I have to log in before I can see that page anyway, so I close it out and then click on my bookmark again and the other page is gone.
    Y'all know my age, but if google wants it they are going to search for it- I'm not giving it over willingly because of some crazy law. They probably already know my age- it's probably just a shuck and jive designed to cause me to believe they are really respecting my privacy. There isn't any real privacy on the net- not even through a vpn or thor servers.
    Google is the greatest spy agency ever.

    They know every web site you ever visited and for how long (chrome).

    Every google search you ever did.

    Your birth day, phone numbers, address, work place and passwords (chrome/android)

    When you go to sleep and when you wake up (chrome/android)

    Everywhere you go (android phone) they can even tell if you are walking, riding a bike or driving.

    Every phone number you have ever called or has called you (android)

    Every Email you have sent or received including the contents (gmail)

    The contents of anything you put up on google docs or on google drive, along with pictures that you may have uploaded through google products.

    Every video you have ever watched on youtube.

    Your on line purchases. They know where you shop off line too if you have an android phone.

    Credit card and smart pay details.

    All of the above information about your friends and family.

    If you have Google Assistant they can listen in to anything is being said and tell what appliances you are using and when.

    Data (including medical data) from your fit bit or smart watch.

    Google also stores personal medical records from your health care providers, including vaccination records.

    And the list goes on and on, not to mention the spyware they put on your phone and computer to hoover up anything they may have missed.

    With all of this, google has a pretty good idea of your interests, sexual preferences, income, politics, ancestry and just about everything there is to know about you.
    Last edited by xxo; 04-19-2021 at 12:44 AM.

  8. #338
    Flashaholic* Katherine Alicia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central UK.
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I`m so glad my android phone has absolutely NO google affiliation or code on it whatsoever.
    it`s about the only good thing to come out of petty politics since forever!

  9. #339

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    The thing that freaked me out was when I would email somebody new at work and soon after facebook would show that person as a potential friend to befriend. If I sent an email to them through my company outllook account they'd show up at my personal gmail account. Privacy settings be dam'd. That's scarey.
    That stopped when I switched to iPhone.

    I recently applied for a move in my company and the boss says "it's yours". I said "well I don't want to jump for joy just yet as there may be some things I did 15 years ago that the company don't like"…… my boss laughed, but I was serious.
    John 3:16

  10. #340
    Flashaholic* Katherine Alicia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central UK.
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I used to use a PAYG phone, but then moved to something less expensive, I had quite a bit of credit left on the phone so I donated it via text to a charity, next day I was seeing facebook adverts for this charity on my feed that were never there before!?
    My phone didn`t even have facebook on it (it was too old), so I`d like to know how texting a private number ended up in facebooks possesion?
    So glad I have one of the new Huawei phones

  11. #341
    Flashaholic* orbital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    2,905

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    Google is the greatest spy agency ever.

    They know every web site you ever visited and for how long (chrome).

    Every google search you ever did.

    Your birth day, phone numbers, address, work place and passwords (chrome/android)

    When you go to sleep and when you wake up (chrome/android)

    Everywhere you go (android phone) they can even tell if you are walking, riding a bike or driving.

    Every phone number you have ever called or has called you (android)

    Every Email you have sent or received including the contents (gmail)

    The contents of anything you put up on google docs or on google drive, along with pictures that you may have uploaded through google products.

    Every video you have ever watched on youtube.

    Your on line purchases. They know where you shop off line too if you have an android phone.

    Credit card and smart pay details.

    All of the above information about your friends and family.

    If you have Google Assistant they can listen in to anything is being said and tell what appliances you are using and when.

    Data (including medical data) from your fit bit or smart watch.

    Google also stores personal medical records from your health care providers, including vaccination records.

    And the list goes on and on, not to mention the spyware they put on your phone and computer to hoover up anything they may have missed.

    With all of this, google has a pretty good idea of your interests, sexual preferences, income, politics, ancestry and just about everything there is to know about you.
    +

    sorry for the long quote ^


    Also, the reason our government puts Google & Facebook on Capital hill yearly for anti trust hearings, is for political theater only.

    Google & Facebook do all the background work on mining information about people & our government uses it at their disposal (it's a quite agreement)
    Because of that, nothing will ever get done on regulating those two information mining behemoths.

  12. #342
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Amen to all that. I forget the name of the phone, but it is a pure android format with no google in it at all. It's expensive though. Since android is supposed to be open sourced it can be tweaked and built upon just like the chromium project my browser uses. I have tried to disable and replace my google apps. My sensors and location are blocked including maps. I have different dialer, contacts and messaging apps and google play services and the google play store are disabled along with that stupid google app. I use f-droid app store and also APK pure for my apps and set up f-droid to maintain my bromite browser. I use the duckduckgo search engine and any preinstalled fb foolishness is disabled.
    I think I have control over my phone, but maybe I'm just fooling myself, but at least I'm trying and not making it easy (I think) for big brother.

    What can I say- ignorance is bliss and we just about have to use all this "necessary evil" bull unless we become preppers and go off grid and live off the land. I think though that THAT fine art has been lost to our great, great grandparents and all this tech has spoiled and weakened us IMHO.
    Who of us can say they could survive a year without electricity? Not me.....

    What about clean creek water? Like what's that?
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-19-2021 at 11:21 AM.

  13. #343
    *Flashaholic* idleprocess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    dfw.tx.us
    Posts
    5,850

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    I think I have control over my phone, but maybe I'm just fooling myself, but at least I'm trying and not making it easy (I think) for big brother.
    The baseband processor is wholly independent of the phone OS, extremely closed-source, and entirely out of the user's control. While encryption might get around some of the baseband processor's ability to sniff your data, it can still utilize the phone's capabilities just like the application processor. And even if the baseband processor isn't tagging your location, the network operator surely is since knowing where handsets are is critical to network deployment and optimization to say nothing of providing you with service as you move around.

    And even if you never interact with Google or Facebook, odds are they know about you to some degree or another. You have surely brushed against the googleplex one way or another via their ads or platforms; if nothing else someone you know probably has used one of their platforms to contact you. Someone that you know surely uses Facebook and Zuck's brogrammer AI plus the many commercial databases they've no doubt bought access to likely allow them to build a general dossier on every person in the industrial world regardless of whether or not that have a facebook account.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    What can I say- ignorance is bliss and we just about have to use all this "necessary evil" bull unless we become preppers and go off grid and live off the land. I think though that THAT fine art has been lost to our great, great grandparents and all this tech has spoiled and weakened us IMHO.
    Who of us can say they could survive a year without electricity? Not me.....
    As with all change, something lost, something gained. The general consensus is that the gain is greater than the loss thus the deal is accepted - compromises and all.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

  14. #344

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Google shares information with other sources so they get your data one way or another. And I hear that duckduckgo might not be as safe as it used to be. Big tech also shares information with government and even stores and manages gov't data bases, so there is not a lot you can keep from them unless you live in a cave with no contact with anyone.


    What is most troubling is how all of this data is being used against us, people are being fired and rendered unemployable, doxed, and harassed for things that they tweeted or posted on social media when they were in middle school. Recently, a Parametic in Utah was doxed for a $10 donation made to Kyle Rittenhouse's defense fund and had the press camped out at his home and a official investigation made by the fire department that employs him.


  15. #345
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Well, my chickens said everything would be alright if I put my tin foil hat back on .
    I guess there is no winning against "big tech". I need to now channel my frustrations and go slap the hogs now and hope I don't get bit.

  16. #346
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,945

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    There are folks who jailbreak their iPhones for the purpose of adding their own hosts file to block a lot of the "phone home" activities.

  17. #347
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    There are folks who jailbreak their iPhones for the purpose of adding their own hosts file to block a lot of the "phone home" activities.
    Androids also. They call it rooting and you can also install a custom rom/system.

  18. #348

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    ill say it again i realy think intel is going under. with apple silicon and amds progress and even nvida is in the game
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  19. #349

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    Androids also. They call it rooting and you can also install a custom rom/system.
    My first couple of androids were rooted. That was actually kinda nice but by the HTC M8 it was no longer a thrill. I do miss watching Mario walk across the screen at start up though. I have not persued a jail break of my current iPhone.

    I bought a pay as you go Motorola E6 phone dedicated to Verizon and it kept wanting me to sign up for a contract. It would not even let me to the home screen or anything without signing up. Going back to an old trick I learned long ago on getting past child proof pill bottle tops and BiC lighters, just hand it to a kid and soon after you know the work around. I lucked up and found a lad who hit "don't activate" rapidly and soon he was in like Flynn. The phone was now unlocked. Being dedicated to Verizon meant it was half the price of an unlocked phone, I suppose because they figure on getting it back later in selling me minutes. All I wanted it for was the MP3 player since those things have gone the way of the VCR.

    The surprise was that my Windows 7 from 2012 was able to install the driver of a 2019 device in about 8 seconds. The Windows has only been online twice. Once to install and once to update in 2017. I asked the guy who unlocked my phone if I can install WinAmp on it. He said "winamp? Ha, I aint heard that word in a minute"……so I guess WinAmp also must've gone the way of the VCR?

    The phone was purchased to replace a Moto Play something or other that I had used for a bluetooth MP3 player recently after being set aside a couple of years back when the battery swelled and cracked the screen. It had gone back to normal size so I tried it out. Yesterday I heard a click and saw the thing had swollen again. Turn it off, toss it in the bed of the truck I was driving in a rain event and that's it for that one.

    I was reluctant to buy another Moto but the E6 has a replaceable battery and an SD card slot for $74 and now $20 off that at WalMart. So I ended up with 128gb memory card and the phone for about $80. It's a dawg of a hand held computer with a lot of lag and a really slow camera but the andriod 9 music player does exactly what I need it to do. Now I also figured out how to get it to install my windows playlists like WinAmp did. The trick though is you have to install one list at a time then name it, otherwise say you downloaded a few playlists, it turns that into one big "recent" playlist. It has an equalizer, which helps a little and it communicates with my car stereo so I can forward/reverse and see what's playing. So I'll now be time warping down the highway each commute digging on some jams using my VCR tech wireless gizmos.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-20-2021 at 02:38 AM.
    John 3:16

  20. #350

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Winamp!!! I remember downloading a bunch of crazy "skins" for that.

    Last night I installed Doom II on my computer from the original CD. Took an extra patch to get it to run on Windows 10. I remember buying that at the mall in 1994.
    GOOD TINT!

  21. #351

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    watching the live apple event
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  22. #352

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    m1 ipad pro will be amzeing
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  23. #353

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    1 miilion to 1 ipad pro 12 contrast ratio
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  24. #354
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,417

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    My first couple of androids were rooted. That was actually kinda nice but by the HTC M8 it was no longer a thrill. I do miss watching Mario walk across the screen at start up though. I have not persued a jail break of my current iPhone.

    I bought a pay as you go Motorola E6 phone dedicated to Verizon and it kept wanting me to sign up for a contract. It would not even let me to the home screen or anything without signing up. Going back to an old trick I learned long ago on getting past child proof pill bottle tops and BiC lighters, just hand it to a kid and soon after you know the work around. I lucked up and found a lad who hit "don't activate" rapidly and soon he was in like Flynn. The phone was now unlocked. Being dedicated to Verizon meant it was half the price of an unlocked phone, I suppose because they figure on getting it back later in selling me minutes. All I wanted it for was the MP3 player since those things have gone the way of the VCR.

    The surprise was that my Windows 7 from 2012 was able to install the driver of a 2019 device in about 8 seconds. The Windows has only been online twice. Once to install and once to update in 2017. I asked the guy who unlocked my phone if I can install WinAmp on it. He said "winamp? Ha, I aint heard that word in a minute"……so I guess WinAmp also must've gone the way of the VCR?

    The phone was purchased to replace a Moto Play something or other that I had used for a bluetooth MP3 player recently after being set aside a couple of years back when the battery swelled and cracked the screen. It had gone back to normal size so I tried it out. Yesterday I heard a click and saw the thing had swollen again. Turn it off, toss it in the bed of the truck I was driving in a rain event and that's it for that one.

    I was reluctant to buy another Moto but the E6 has a replaceable battery and an SD card slot for $74 and now $20 off that at WalMart. So I ended up with 128gb memory card and the phone for about $80. It's a dawg of a hand held computer with a lot of lag and a really slow camera but the andriod 9 music player does exactly what I need it to do. Now I also figured out how to get it to install my windows playlists like WinAmp did. The trick though is you have to install one list at a time then name it, otherwise say you downloaded a few playlists, it turns that into one big "recent" playlist. It has an equalizer, which helps a little and it communicates with my car stereo so I can forward/reverse and see what's playing. So I'll now be time warping down the highway each commute digging on some jams using my VCR tech wireless gizmos.
    Winamp is still available for windows but the android version is likely not compatible as it was out there at one time long ago but abandoned and there is no google app download. winamp.com for the latest version and I have an android app that makes use of winamps ratings if you do rate songs via the windows program.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  25. #355
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,945

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    1 miilion to 1 ipad pro 12 contrast ratio

    Yes, only the 12" version due to an array of mini-LEDS for the backlight, creating a couple thousand local dimming zones.

  26. #356

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Yes, only the 12" version due to an array of mini-LEDS for the backlight, creating a couple thousand local dimming zones.
    the m1 cpu is mind blowing good so is mini led
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  27. #357
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Winamp is still available for windows but the android version is likely not compatible as it was out there at one time long ago but abandoned and there is no google app download. winamp.com for the latest version and I have an android app that makes use of winamps ratings if you do rate songs via the windows program.
    Have you tried apk pure or f-droid? They might have what you need. They seem as safe as the google play store and I wouldn't be using them if they weren't.

  28. #358

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Winamp is still available for windows but the android version is likely not compatible as it was out there at one time long ago but abandoned and there is no google app download. winamp.com for the latest version and I have an android app that makes use of winamps ratings if you do rate songs via the windows program.
    My brother keeps me up on all the latest this or that. He has apps for (in my view) too many things in life. I think he tracks how many times he chews his food. Smart lights, smart watch, heck I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has a smart toothbrush. I use technology as it ends up in my path if I don't see it as an obstacle. WinAmp at one point became my go to music app since it was the best one for my purpose at one point. After being hacked a couple of times really watch for things that allow intrusion.
    I figure the little Moto e is not completely anonomous but at least it's limited by not signing up for services. Now if I can just figure out how to invert a playlist on the default music player……see, it downloads my Windows playlists, just upside down. And many were made to have a flow that raises and lowers tempo or has a certain feel and when it's inverted that blows the experience.
    Eh, first world problems.
    John 3:16

  29. #359
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,417

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    Have you tried apk pure or f-droid? They might have what you need. They seem as safe as the google play store and I wouldn't be using them if they weren't.
    I'm using PlayerPro (paid version) and although it could use a few features (that Winamp doesn't have either) it works very well for me.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  30. #360
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,417

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    My brother keeps me up on all the latest this or that. He has apps for (in my view) too many things in life. I think he tracks how many times he chews his food. Smart lights, smart watch, heck I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has a smart toothbrush. I use technology as it ends up in my path if I don't see it as an obstacle. WinAmp at one point became my go to music app since it was the best one for my purpose at one point. After being hacked a couple of times really watch for things that allow intrusion.
    I figure the little Moto e is not completely anonomous but at least it's limited by not signing up for services. Now if I can just figure out how to invert a playlist on the default music player……see, it downloads my Windows playlists, just upside down. And many were made to have a flow that raises and lowers tempo or has a certain feel and when it's inverted that blows the experience.
    Eh, first world problems.
    I have only a handful of apps on my android phone, none of which have any ads at all I researched all of them and the ones that looked good I paid for them. I have no problem paying a few dollars for an app that looks good as I grew up with computers from Commodore 128 to 386 PC and foward I've had to pay dearly for some programs and even paid a lot for shareware versions of stuff so $1-$5 for a good program is not a big risk. I find however trying to figure out what app to get for a purpose a mind boggling experience too many of them and the Google app store is rather unhelpful overall with their ratings and search limitations.
    If I'm going to do something more series I go to my computer... not the phone.
    I Total Commander (paid), Smart Tools (paid) Wifi Analyzer (freeware, No ads), Physics Toolbox Suite, Barcode Scanner (free no ads) and one cheesy game called Pathos (free no ads).
    I have a few apps I need to find better ones as I'm using google docs and their picture library app. They work ok but the doc viewer is slow and seems to always want to check my account I think and wants me to log in to use it.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •