ArmyTek        
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Modern Technology and times

Default Re: Modern Technology and times

My secretary could do 60 WPM and out-type the typewriter, until I got her an IBM Select-type. To change the fonts, you changed the print ball.

My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Wow! been while since I`v seen an old Golf ball printer, I think the Daisy Wheel came next IIRC?

Pretty cool! I picked up an old IBM Selectric II from work. Mint. I have no use but didn't want to see it just get trashed.
    GOOD TINT!

I learned to touch type in high school on an electric typewriter with manual return and got up to 55 WPM. I did faster on a computer because I didn't have to take a hand off the keyboard to hit return which at times got me on the wrong keys for a second or two. I rarely write anything these days other than short notes as messing with a note program/app takes more effort for me than writing a line on a pad.
    I think the one huge step in tech was computer printers they were the game changer in printing as you could create or download text files and print them on demand. I think a new tech is around the corner 5 years out and that is projection tech on phones. Imagine a low res imaged of what is on your phone projected a few feet in front of you and a bluetooth remote. It would make reading things easier as you could project them to a lot larger size for easier reading, maybe even project movies and games from phones and tablets even.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Popular Mechanics predicted projection keyboards and screens from smart phones would be 'normal' in 10 years back around 2006. Still waiting……

The printer can now produce a heart, a gun, a traffic cone, all kinds of things. I'm still not on board with a 3D printer (as I'm still trying to learn how to program my vcr) but definitely admire the process.
    John 3:16

+

Can't believe Office Space will be a 25 year old movie in just a few

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjsSr3z5nVk

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Can't believe Office Space will be a 25 year old movie in just a few

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjsSr3z5nVk

That's crazy!!

What would you say, you do here?
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    In a remember when discussion at work today we were remembering when we were hooked on a personal computer. I remember talking with a lady while she typed and she has misspelled a word. She highlighted it and hit the back key and the word was gone. I said "woah, woah, woah what just happened?" She chuckled and said "pretty neat, huh?" A few minutes later she highlighted a sentence, cut it and pasted it elsewhere.

That was it for me. After re-writing countless reports by hand because I left out a word or decided a sentence would be better somewhere else…… back then it was called a word processor. Later on I learned it remembered stuff way better than I do.
    The word processor really made a big impact on my life.
    Spreadsheets were the big moment for me - in particular spreadsheet formulas, which allowed the user to take real and immediate advantage of the power of their computer.

In a different career some ~25 years ago I was tasked with estimating materials for bids to install pneumatic tube systems (generally for cash-handling). The usual method was to draw the routes on a set of paper plans, sum the length of each run to get raw footage, then start calculating materials by hand (i.e. 90° bends deduct from footage of straight material by two radiuses, 15' sticks of tube have fewer couplings than 10' sticks, running 2+ tubes together requires unistrut rather than solitary tube hanging materials, single-tube bends take sway bracing and multi-tube bends don't etc etc). I was able to devise a spreadsheet that would do all of this for the user while providing solutions for nearly all scenarios. Varying bend sizes, different material margins, different hanging scenarios - all accounted for.

I've since progressed to using spreadsheets as brute-force tools for data manipulation, lookups, script-generation, timesheet/tax calculators, hack databases, and countless other utilitarian functions. It's not an elegant, scalable, nor often repeatable in the sense that explaining to someone else how the formulas work is ... difficult ... but it's installed on most desktop computers thus a widely-available tool.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    I've since progressed to using spreadsheets as brute-force tools for data manipulation, lookups, script-generation, timesheet/tax calculators, hack databases, and countless other utilitarian functions. It's not an elegant, scalable, nor often repeatable in the sense that explaining to someone else how the formulas work is ... difficult ... but it's installed on most desktop computers thus a widely-available tool.
    Spreadsheets and word processors are the two things which increased my general productivity by leaps and bounds over what came before. I can't even begin to list the myriad things spreadsheets are useful for.

On the tax calculations, don't know if you ever heard about this little tip for progressive income tax calculations:

https://www.extendoffice.com/documen...ncome-tax.html

I had made a spreadsheet to help with my taxes. It was crude, and the formulas for even calculating taxes in the first two brackets were cumbersome. I wanted to make something which could in theory do tax calculations for any amount of income, and do them for state and local taxes as well. I searched around, and discovered how useful SUMPRODUCT is. The same simple formula can take care of any arbitrary number of tax brackets. Now my spreadsheet does it all. I even included capital gains tax in it.

When I saw you could type 3 in one box, 4 in another and a third box said 7 I was intrigued. When I learned how place a number in cells D3 thru D36 and D37 had the total……awe yeah I was hooked on that. I probably use about 0.09% of a spread sheet potential but I'm having fun. That is until the next version comes out and they rearranged some of my favorite features.

and i thought i was old lol. btw you word proceser guys did the modern computer blow your mind since it does the work of a word prceeer?
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    and i thought i was old lol. btw you word proceser guys did the modern computer blow your mind since it does the work of a word prceeer?
    Yep. My first "PC" was actually an Amstrad word processor. I got it used from one of my mom's friends in the early 1990s for about $200, with a nice computer desk thrown in as a bonus. I couldn't afford a full-blown PC at the time as they were going for upwards of $3,000 ($6,000+ in today's money). It had no hard drive and odd-ball type floppy disks which weren't compatible with the standard 1.44 MB floppies then in use in PCs. All software ran from the floppies. Mine came with a dot-matrix printer. Very rudimentary but still orders of magnitude better than a typewriter. When I got it, I said I wished I had this in college. It would have saved me loads of time retyping term papers. I blame that in part for my carpal tunnel syndrome.

A friend of mine who owns a taximeter shop gave me my first "real" PC in 1998. A 33 MHz 386 with 4 MB of RAM, a 1.44 MB floppy drive, and a 1.2 GB hard drive. I was blown away. I could store stuff on the hard drive. Didn't have to swap floppies constantly. It even had a tape drive for back up. I soon upgraded the monochrome monitor to color. IIRC that also entailed a new video card. I also added a CD-ROM drive so I could buy modern software which started coming on CDs instead of floppies. First thing I did after getting the machine was copy my cycling records. I couldn't read them off the Amstrad floppies I saved them on, but I had printed copies to use to enter the data on my PC. Took a while but once done I knew that was the last time I would ever need to retype something. Once I started using MSWord I was blown away even more. Now I had fonts! And things printed exactly as they appeared on screen (more or less). Not long after, I "upgraded" to a 40 MHz 386 which my former coworker in the taxi shop gave me when he upgraded to a new machine. I upgraded that to a whopping 32 MB of RAM. I also recall adding a 387 math coprocessor to both of these machines. That made a lot of things I used much faster.

Fast forward to now. I'm using a machine with an AMD A10-7870K APU, 16 GB of RAM, a total of a 4.4 TB of storage (2x 960 GB SSDs, 1x 500 GB SSD, and 1x 2TB HDD). By most metrics this has about 1000 times the computing power, storage space, and RAM of the stuff I started out with. This is why I love modern technology.

how times have changed my laptop has 8 gigs a ram and most days i wonder if i should of gone 16 gigs
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

*Flashaholic*

how times have changed my laptop has 8 gigs a ram and most days i wonder if i should of gone 16 gigs
    My laptop is about 10 years old. I don't use it much but it still serves my needs just fine. I bought it for $70. It was a little flaky, and would sometimes randomly reboot. A few years ago, it crashed while trying to boot up. I bought a new CPU for a few bucks on eBay. Fixed the problem. The CPU was probably on its way out from the time I got the machine. Upgraded from 4GB to 8GB of RAM, swapped the 100GB HDD for a 240GB SSD I no longer needed in my desktop machine. Great machine now. Rock solid stable, much faster with the SDD and additional RAM. An SSD can give new life to older machines.

I remember when a 56k dialup fax modem was great.

my ssd is super small but its crazy fast like 2500 mbs

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    im guessing where the same age. btw my first time onilne i was looking for info on mental disabilties some how i ened up in chat but i had no idea the people was humans and typeing live back to me. my mind waas blown

I remember when I went to 14.4k from 300 baud and used Zmodem protocal that allows resuming downloads.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

128K DSL... now THAT was the bomb!
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

When I put one in my computer I was excited, only to find out AOL would only connect at 32k. If i kept hanging up and redialing I may hit 48k with the right number.
    GOOD TINT!

I remember the 300 baud modems. You could hit send, then go make a sandwich. When you got back, maybe there was a response.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I remember the 300 baud modems. You could hit send, then go make a sandwich. When you got back, maybe there was a response.
    I once tried to download a large picture with 300 baud, after 45 minutes there was a hiccup and I had to start over again.

im pretty sure my first was 56k how many k is 300 baud?

*Flashaholic*

Thankfully since I didn't get online until the late 1990s I never had the "pleasure" of dealing with 300 baud. I do remember 56K. It never was actually 56K. Best case I think you got high 40s because of the error-correction bits. I recall when I had to load a web page with lots of pictures I would just grab a cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    128K DSL... now THAT was the bomb!
    My kids were estatic. I still thought "eh, it's just a fad" lol

im pretty sure my first was 56k how many k is 300 baud?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    id jump off the roof!

At 300 baud you could watch the characters type across the screen one at a time, sort of like the computer scenes from the movie "War Games."

How about a nice game of chess?

and i hate my 200 mbs lol

Is there any practicality to a 150mbps connection compared to 25mpbs? I think you need about 5mbps (actual) to stream Netflix right?

For what I do, my 800mbps plan doesn't seem any different from the 15mbps plan years ago. I understand it has more to do with the actual server you're connecting to right? So the weather forecast model page I use is still going to be slow no matter what. And practically back into the 1990s speed when there's a big hurricane and everyone else is logging in.
    GOOD TINT!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast