Malkoff        
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Technology and times

Default Re: Modern Technology and times

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

The world needs more family owned hardware stores.
    But don't you remember the rise of wal-mart? They were open and selling a HUGE range of stuff when the local mom/pop stores were closed at 5pm.

ALL classes of business go through a birth, maturation, and consolidation. The mom/pop stores had a hand in their own demise.

There are still a few ones around... the local Ace hardware comes to mind. But their friendliness, knowledge, and service sets them apart from big box/walmart/HD/etc. If not for that... they would be toast also.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

This all is NOT a new occurrence. Tech/society/etc moves forward and we ALL benefit.

Good example was the old job of weaving socks by hand. Then the machine to weave them came out... and the weavers had the inventor in the street, in the process of beating him to death.

Police intervened; the man was saved. The weavers lost their jobs, but the other 99.99999% of society now can buy a better, cheaper, more readily-available sock.

Capitalism isn't perfect, but it's so much better than anything else.

Flashaholic*

Bykfixer, I had a 4 speed 73 toyota corolla. That was a good car and had a strong motor. I wish I never traded it for that 74 elite, but I traded the elite for a 71 datson pickup, traded that for a 67 dodge army truck which I traded for a 74 gran torino with a 428 cobra jet engine in it and later traded that for a 74 mustang. I don't remember if I sold or traded the mustang- probably sold it to buy a 71 dodge shortbed pickup which I kept for a while. Ol truck had a positive traction rear end and although it was a half ton I hauled 4520 pounds of scrap metal in it once. It had a straight pipe on it and would buzz on the highway (225 slant 6). I also had a 75 corolla and liked it.

Edit: I must have been posting and didn't realize that the thread had turned a page. My post was in reference to what bykfixer posted. I really like the older vehicles.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-09-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    ...I really like the older vehicles.
    Yeah, but when you were enjoying those 'old' cars, a model t owner was saying the same stuff about them... compared to his model t, model a, packard, etc.

And a real old coot was comparing the new fangled gasoline engines to his stanley steamer.

Flashaholic*

"
    "Capitalism isn't perfect, but it's so much better than anything else."

I agree. As time goes on though some quality stuff loses their quality. For example, I had wanted a benjamin air rifle for a while, but couldn't afford one. One day I could, but they were bought out by crossman. I didn't think anything of it and bought it. The seal on the chamber exhaust valve failed me, so I put in another one from an o-ring I had. It worked a little, but I think it was made from a different type of rubber. It has been sitting up for years. I've been meaning to send it off to mack1 to have the chamber modified and have viton seals put into it. I found out that the bean counters at crossman had cheapened the rifle. It looks the same as the old designs, but the insides are different.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Yeah, but when you were enjoying those 'old' cars, a model t owner was saying the same stuff about them... compared to his model t, model a, packard, etc.

And a real old coot was comparing the new fangled gasoline engines to his stanley steamer.
    Lol, I agree. The newer ones rust less, but they sure have a lot of plastic in them that cracks.
    I like to work on my own stuff. The way these newer vehicles are designed it makes it more difficult to do that and I tend to get a little on the ignorant side of thinking when this happens. If I have to go to a mechanic or dealership I'm worried that they might try to take advantage of my ignorance. I look like I don't have any smarts about me and one time when getting a 77 Ford F100 aligned the mechanic told me that I needed this and that. Now I knew my truck and figured it might be a bunch of bull. I looked him in the eyes and told him with an attitude that I would fix that myself. His face turned red lol. They tried to charge me with an inspection fee of $20, but I raised so much cane with them and they were glad to just get rid of me and I got out of there with no charge at all.
    I took it to another alignment place that was good to me in the past and I told him what the other guy said. He inspected it real good and showed me the printout after he aligned it. He said there was nothing wrong with that front end. If memory serves me right I only paid $31 for that alignment.

Flashaholic*

That 77 ford was a pet truck I was real picky about. A friend of mine was the original owner that had taken good care of it since it was new and took off like he had a grass of water on the dash. I got that truck for $1000 with only 89000 on it. I drove it the same way he did and tried to keep it clean- even underneath. Basicly I over maintained it and because of that I knew my truck.

Flashaholic*

But don't you remember the rise of wal-mart? They were open and selling a HUGE range of stuff when the local mom/pop stores were closed at 5pm.

ALL classes of business go through a birth, maturation, and consolidation. The mom/pop stores had a hand in their own demise.

There are still a few ones around... the local Ace hardware comes to mind. But their friendliness, knowledge, and service sets them apart from big box/walmart/HD/etc. If not for that... they would be toast also.
    I don't even know why we needed a walmart around here. We had grants, sears and zayre's in Bessemer and kmart and sears in Tuscaloosa. Sears was kinda high, but those craftsman's tools, wow. Kmart was a little farther away, but they had good prices and it seemed like good stuff. Remember that kmart smell? All of them smelled like that. The one in Indiana smelled like that when I was 3 and they also had a round bin up front with the purdy green and white flashlights. I used to beg dad to buy me one.
    The first walmart around here was 20 miles away in Centreville and the first supercenter came around 97 or 98 in Bessemer. By then the regular walmart was already there (where grants used to be) and so was kmart where zayre's used to be. Seems like kmart didn't last long after the supercenter came though. Food world eventually disappeared along with winn dixie. In other places within a 30 mile radious Bruno's, foodmax and delchamps disappeared. Before long within a 40 mile radious we had 6 or 7 walmart supercenters along with some walmart markets. They are planning on building another market one now 3 miles away also. I miss sears and kmart. Walmart never had that good kmart smell. I also miss the old walmarts. The regular walmart (before the supercenter one) is where I bought my first maglite and I think dad got his there. I still have his.

I don't even know why we needed a walmart around here. We had grants, sears and zayre's in Bessemer and kmart and sears in Tuscaloosa. ...
    You just gave the reason, 4-5 stores that sold the same thing, the same way, for decades. WM comes in, sells everything, and cleans house. All industries consolidate. The weaker players get squeezed out or bought up.

Same thing happened with Circuit City, Best Buy, Rex TV and Stereo, Hooper's TV & Electronics, etc. Only Best Buy is still standing, and to their credit... seem to be doing a pretty darn good job adapting and battling with Amazon/WM.

Flashaholic*

I like best buy. I sure hated it when circuit city went out of business though. My wife and I bought our first laptops there. After they went out of business I went to best buy and got a new hardrive for my wife's laptop.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    nm nm
    Hey raggie33, do you have any good memories from past times and technology? I forgot to mention that flashlights and batteries have sure gotten better and there is stuff out there now to improve the old ones even if you keep using the incandescent bulbs.

Hey raggie33, do you have any good memories from past times and technology? I forgot to mention that flashlights and batteries have sure gotten better and there is stuff out there now to improve the old ones even if you keep using the incandescent bulbs.
    i love most tech
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Thanks raggie33 for joining in. As long as tech is meant with benefit of the consumer in mind only without serving an ulterior motive and the bean counters stay out of it I don't have any problem with old or new tech. I don't want to be forced to spend money to upgrade though if what I have works for me.
    Those self driving vehicles would be alright if we were given the option to drive ourselves or let it drive. It could be beneficial if like someone had a hunting accident and they couldn't drive to the hospital, but the vehicle could. The on star system used to be good, but I don't know if they have that anymore. If they don't- why? They ought to have better now. The tornado sirens was a good ideal, but are being phased out. There are warning radios, but some can't afford them. Some people don't have a tv or even a cell phone, so those sirens were a life saver. Turbodog sent me a link for a electric Ford ranger and I liked it. I guess electric vehicles are alright, but I just don't want to be forced to buy one since I have enough vehicles to last me a lifetime if I do some work to them. Lol, I got me a hutch mobile- it's a 1980 Ford LTD coupe with a 302 in it. I have a 6 gallon boat tank strapped down in the trunk and vise grips holding the windows up on the track. You flip up a switch to turn on the ignition and push a button to start it. It only has front brakes, but it stops good. I need to reconnect or replace the back shocks- I think they fell off. It is sitting up right now because I need to replace some rusted freeze plugs.
    Presently I'm driving a 1971 chevy C10 and fixing on a 1975 Ford F150 and I have an 1985 short bed Ford truck I need to finish connecting stuff up on. Someone stole my starter and starter bolts and it discouraged me, but I have 2 more starters I reconditioned. One might work. It has a 1981 engine in it and I need to wire it up for the duraspark ignition.
    I took out the points distributor on my chevy and put in an electronic one. It puts out more spark, but if the module in the distributor goes it will not run and it could go out at anytime and anywhere.I thought about buying a spare, but still it is more difficult to install than points. With points, you can file them and make them work long enough to at least get to the parts store and get some more, but with the improved ignition you have to call a tow truck.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-09-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Flashaholic*

You know, whether new or old tech you have to take the bad with the good.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-09-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Flashaholic*

I hope I'm not posting too much.
    Wanna mention car batteries... They have come a long ways. Seems like in the mid 80s you could get a good one that lasted at least 5 years for $35. Later on they stabilized around $50-$60 for a good while and were good batteries till sometime after 2013 or 14. Now you'd be fortunate to get one that will last 3 years for around $100. And if you don't use them often the plates sulfate easily. They also have a lower voltage when fully charged.
    Most are made by johnson controlls, but the better ones are made by east penn manufacturing. One of east penn's batteries is the decka brand- not sure if I spelled that right. If you want a good battery though you're going to pay a premium for it.

*Flashaholic*

Wanna mention car batteries... They have come a long ways. Seems like in the mid 80s you could get a good one that lasted at least 5 years for $35. Later on they stabilized around $50-$60 for a good while and were good batteries till sometime after 2013 or 14. Now you'd be fortunate to get one that will last 3 years for around $100. And if you don't use them often the plates sulfate easily. They also have a lower voltage when fully charged.
    Most are made by johnson controlls, but the better ones are made by east penn manufacturing. One of east penn's batteries is the decka brand- not sure if I spelled that right. If you want a good battery though you're going to pay a premium for it.
    Lead-acid batteries are yesterday's tech. Some people are replacing their car batteries with LiFePO4. Yes, it costs more, but as far as I can tell it's literally a lifetime battery. The battery management system in the battery keeps the battery within parameters.

Those self driving vehicles would be alright if we were given the option to drive ourselves or let it drive. It could be beneficial if like someone had a hunting accident and they couldn't drive to the hospital, but the vehicle could.

The problem with that idea is self-driving vehicles are much safer if all the vehicles on the road are self-driven. Every vehicle knows where every other vehicle is. More importantly, they communicate their intent to other vehicles and behave very predictably. That virtually eliminates collisions. It totally eliminates traffic jams. It safely allows 100+ mph speeds on highways. If you have even a small percentage of human operated vehicles it puts an element of unpredictability into the system. In fact, nearly every incident involving an autonomous vehicle wasn't caused by any defect in the vehicle or its software, but was due to human drivers in other vehicles making errors. Besides, why would anyone even want to drive if they could safely get from point A to point B at twice the speed in an autonomous vehicle? Utility driving of that type really isn't interesting or enjoyable. I get wanting to drive fast on a closed race track to test your abilities, but that will certainly still exist even if all vehicles on regular public roads were self-driven.

I guess electric vehicles are alright, but I just don't want to be forced to buy one since I have enough vehicles to last me a lifetime if I do some work to them.
    I'm thinking EV conversions of existing vehicles will be a big thing eventually. No reason you can't keep your 1970s vintage vehicles forever other than swapping out the engine for a motor/battery pack. Remember as EVs displace gas cars there will come a time gasoline isn't readily available, if at all. No idea when that will be, but likely easily within our lifetimes. The nice thing is these EV conversions may provide plenty of jobs. They're also something DIY people would love to do. I've talked many times with my brother about eventually converting his 1994 Mark VIII to electric. With the nice aero body it has it would get great range.
    Last edited by jtr1962; 02-10-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Flashaholic*

I was wondering if they could be converted like that. Hate to yank out my 302 though. That engine has taken some abuse. I want to rebuild it later on and maybe restore the car. I got it for $100 with a new battery in the trunk. I sold it twice and got it back. Turned down a thousand for it. Probably won't ever get rid of it again. Might dig a hole and bury it someday.

*Flashaholic*

Yeah, it's already a niche thing, and I can only see it growing in the future:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-...ny-classic-car

The thing with keeping classic cars on the road is the fact they're a maintenance headache, and as my brother will tell you, parts aren't always easy to come by. Going EV mitigates that since most of the maintenance headaches are for the drivetrain.

I'd miss the exhaust note........

Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Flashaholic*

Some newer vehicles seem like they are made to use to a certain point and then throw away (scrap yard). My wife got a 1996 toyota avalon. It was a rag when she got it and it is still a rag. She got it with the money from a lawsuit she won after an accident. She was all for fixing it up. In reality the engine and trans should have been pulled and sold for $300 and the rest of the car hauled to the shredder. Underneith it is rebuilt with napa's best parts including almost $900 in struts. After about $4500 in parts it is probably worth $750, but my wife likes her Napa Avalon.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I'd miss the exhaust note........

Maaan...., that thing was boogety boogety at the end.
    Hey Chauncey, what if they came out with a computer program that could sense engine speed, acceleration and shift points and produce an inside engine noise with a volume control. Also it could have a select switch to select different types of exhaust notes from different types of engines. V8, v6, 4cyl and diesel. Or even Ferrari, lambaginie, corvette....etc. No kidding, this just might work. If passengers don't want to hear the noise the driver can put on earphones. If you want to listen to the radio the engine noise can be blended into the background of the music.

Edit: my brother in law just said that has already been invented and it can be for inside and outside.
    Well my friends, it looks like we can still make some noise....he,he
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-10-2021 at 09:12 PM.

*Flashaholic*

So long as the sound is confined solely to the inside of the car that's the best of both worlds for drivers who might miss exhaust noises. I've seen some systems which have the noise outside the car, which kind of defeats one of the benefits of electric cars for those outside the vehicle, namely the absence of load noises. I personally don't like noisy vehicles. I'm used to a bike, or electric trains. Neither one makes much noise beyond wind, and in the case of trains, wheel/rail noises.

Best ones I've ever seen are the panasonic ones. Never found them for sale... OEM only during mfg process.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    Yeah, it's already a niche thing, and I can only see it growing in the future:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-...ny-classic-car

The thing with keeping classic cars on the road is the fact they're a maintenance headache, and as my brother will tell you, parts aren't always easy to come by. Going EV mitigates that since most of the maintenance headaches are for the drivetrain.
    Niche indeed. My dad restores Mopars, so Iíve been around that scene my whole life. I donít know any classic car guys who are likely to put one of those in their cars. Maybe it would be okay for a car that has little collector value but is fun to drive, or is a more modern car to begin with. But complete numbers matching drivetrains are so integral to the value of a car as well as the driving experience I doubt very many people are going to be interested in putting it in true collector cars.

In any case, I donít think either new or old tech are wholly good or bad. I think there is room for both in our lives. Would I trade an efficient water saving washing machine for an antique washboard? Heck no! But are there cool tools and products made in the old style with more traditional methods that are more satisfying to use and enjoy? You bet. I also believe there is a level of nostalgia surrounding objects and experiences during a certain swath of our developmental years that can cause us to look back on things more positively than they really were. Not that that is always bad, but nostalgia can also blind us at times to the reality of past situations. We may look fondly on something because we got comfortable with it, not necessarily because it it is actually better. For example, If you and your buddies liked getting together and tinkering with your cars as teens you may think fondly of carbureted motors because of the memories that they evoke, but by basically any metric a modern FI engine is a better machine.

Flashaholic*

Best ones I've ever seen are the panasonic ones. Never found them for sale... OEM only during mfg process.
    Wow, I didn't know panasonic made car batteries also. I wonder if they are lithium-ion. I also didn't know about LiFePO4 in cars. I thought agm gell cell batteries were the cream of the crop.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Niche indeed. My dad restores Mopars, so Iíve been around that scene my whole life. I donít know any classic car guys who are likely to put one of those in their cars. Maybe it would be okay for a car that has little collector value but is fun to drive, or is a more modern car to begin with. But complete numbers matching drivetrains are so integral to the value of a car as well as the driving experience I doubt very many people are going to be interested in putting it in true collector cars.

In any case, I donít think either new or old tech are wholly good or bad. I think there is room for both in our lives. Would I trade an efficient water saving washing machine for an antique washboard? Heck no! But are there cool tools and products made in the old style with more traditional methods that are more satisfying to use and enjoy? You bet. I also believe there is a level of nostalgia surrounding objects and experiences during a certain swath of our developmental years that can cause us to look back on things more positively than they really were. Not that that is always bad, but nostalgia can also blind us at times to the reality of past situations. We may look fondly on something because we got comfortable with it, not necessarily because it it is actually better. For example, If you and your buddies liked getting together and tinkering with your cars as teens you may think fondly of carbureted motors because of the memories that they evoke, but by basically any metric a modern FI engine is a better machine.
    I agree. There is good and bad in both old and new tech. I also like the older mopars. Those older mopar engines have good low end torque. The newer style hemi's are more efficient, but the torque is higher up the rpm range and that isn't good for a truck. Transmissions nowadays have so many gears it might not matter anyway.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    So long as the sound is confined solely to the inside of the car that's the best of both worlds for drivers who might miss exhaust noises. I've seen some systems which have the noise outside the car, which kind of defeats one of the benefits of electric cars for those outside the vehicle, namely the absence of load noises. I personally don't like noisy vehicles. I'm used to a bike, or electric trains. Neither one makes much noise beyond wind, and in the case of trains, wheel/rail noises.
    Maybe we can make noise by burning some rubber.

My chickens think I'm henpecked and hog tied
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-10-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Wow, I didn't know panasonic made car batteries also. I wonder if they are lithium-ion. I also didn't know about LiFePO4 in cars. I thought agm gell cell batteries were the cream of the crop.
    Yes. They are lead acid. But expect them to last 8-9 years. One of my cars came with one... and every person on the forum I am part of got 8+ years from the original panasonic battery.

That car is rough on batteries also... all replacements usually last 2 years in that particular vehicle.

Panasonic accolades:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/pan...ndary.8094554/

MANY mentions of 10+ years and 100k miles on the OEM panasonic.

And, 26 years with 189k miles: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/pan...ndary.8094554/
    Last edited by turbodog; 02-10-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Flashaholic*

Yes. They are lead acid. But expect them to last 8-9 years. One of my cars came with one... and every person on the forum I am part of got 8+ years from the original panasonic battery.

That car is rough on batteries also... all replacements usually last 2 years in that particular vehicle.

Panasonic accolades:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/pan...ndary.8094554/

MANY mentions of 10+ years and 100k miles on the OEM panasonic.

And, 26 years with 189k miles: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/pan...ndary.8094554/

Turbodog, I checked out those links. Sounds like panasonic is sure enough a good one.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-10-2021 at 11:43 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast