Wuben        
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Technology and times

Default Re: Modern Technology and times

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    Bykfixer, I had a 4 speed 73 toyota corolla. That was a good car and had a strong motor. I wish I never traded it for that 74 elite, but I traded the elite for a 71 datson pickup, traded that for a 67 dodge army truck which I traded for a 74 gran torino with a 428 cobra jet engine in it and later traded that for a 74 mustang. I don't remember if I sold or traded the mustang- probably sold it to buy a 71 dodge shortbed pickup which I kept for a while. Ol truck had a positive traction rear end and although it was a half ton I hauled 4520 pounds of scrap metal in it once. It had a straight pipe on it and would buzz on the highway (225 slant 6). I also had a 75 corolla and liked it.

Edit: I must have been posting and didn't realize that the thread had turned a page. My post was in reference to what bykfixer posted. I really like the older vehicles.
    22r engine? i replaced a motor in a toyota years of it was hard since i did not have a hoist
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    22r engine? i replaced a motor in a toyota years of it was hard since i did not have a hoist
    The 22r didn't come out till 1981. I'm not sure what engine it had in it, but it was a good and stout one.
    I didn't keep it long enough to do any work on it. I think the only thing I ever did to it was clean out the back section when a friend got sick back there
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-11-2021 at 01:44 AM.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Niche indeed. My dad restores Mopars, so Iíve been around that scene my whole life. I donít know any classic car guys who are likely to put one of those in their cars. Maybe it would be okay for a car that has little collector value but is fun to drive, or is a more modern car to begin with. But complete numbers matching drivetrains are so integral to the value of a car as well as the driving experience I doubt very many people are going to be interested in putting it in true collector cars.

In any case, I donít think either new or old tech are wholly good or bad. I think there is room for both in our lives. Would I trade an efficient water saving washing machine for an antique washboard? Heck no! But are there cool tools and products made in the old style with more traditional methods that are more satisfying to use and enjoy? You bet. I also believe there is a level of nostalgia surrounding objects and experiences during a certain swath of our developmental years that can cause us to look back on things more positively than they really were. Not that that is always bad, but nostalgia can also blind us at times to the reality of past situations. We may look fondly on something because we got comfortable with it, not necessarily because it it is actually better. For example, If you and your buddies liked getting together and tinkering with your cars as teens you may think fondly of carbureted motors because of the memories that they evoke, but by basically any metric a modern FI engine is a better machine.
    It sounds to me like you're talking about show cars, which are often only driven off the flatbed they're transported to car shows on. Or at best gently driven only on good days once or twice a month just to keep the mechanicals in shape. Sure, those aren't vehicles which the owner would want to swap out the gas engine for an electric.

I'm thinking more in terms of regular vehicles people might own, perhaps even vintage vehicles, which will never be fully restored, and don't have much value even if they were. For whatever reason they might like these vehicles, and want to keep driving them so long as the body is good. That's where EV conversions would come in, and I think it's going to be a huge market. If you follow trends, the first thing to electrify in a big way will be commercial vehicles. This is both to help the bottom line and the company image. Last I checked commercial vehicles account for about 40% of domestic motor fuel usage. Now consider gas stations are already a marginal business. In NYC quite a few have already shut down. Imagine when fuel sales drop 20% or 30% or 40% as commercial fleets go electric. Many more gas stations will fold. My guess is it'll be impossible to find a gas station in NY city limits when that happens. So the greater difficulty of finding gas will spur most people to buy an electric the next time they need a car. Or to convert their existing car to electric instead. And that spurs the numbers of gas stations further into a downward spiral. What does this have to do with classic cars? Well, at some point it's going to be very difficult for those people with stock classic cars to find gasoline for them. They may still keep their cars 100% stock, but they may have to at least convert the engines to run on ethanol.

I'm of the mind that not all newer things are necessarily better, but by the same token a lot of the love of old things by people comes more from nostalgia than these things necessarily being better. I might fondly remember some things about my first computer, but at this stage I really have no desire to fire it up any more. It's functionally useless to me. One trend I don't understand is the desire of people to surf the Internet on phones with tiny screens. In fact, I find the entire touch screen interface incredibly annoying to use, especially trying to type on one of those things. I have to correct every other letter. So that's a clear case of new not necessarily being better.

Flashaholic*

I'm on a smartphone now. I still have my windows vista laptop, but this is more convenient. Try getting on the net with a 2003 motorola cell phone with a 1 1/2x 2 inch screen. No pictures, only text. I read around 4500 free night time minutes that first month.

I was awakened at 3:30 this morning while dreaming that I was given the option of going back to 1973 or re-live 2020. I chose to stay in 2020 in the dream.

In the background the song Red Barchetta by Rush was playing and the MC of the dream was Wink Martindale. 1973 was gray and colorless while 2020 was in color. In big cities in 1973 everybody wore masks due to all of the pollution. In 2020 people wore masks because the Spanish flu was back.

When I woke up the morning I looked out my window and everything was gray and colorless and I thought perhaps I chose 1973? But then I looked across the room and saw my 20" flatscreen tv and thought "phew!"
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I was awakened at 3:30 this morning while dreaming that I was given the option of going back to 1973 or re-live 2020. I chose to stay in 2020 in the dream.

In the background the song Red Barchetta by Rush was playing and the MC of the dream was Wink Martindale. 1973 was gray and colorless while 2020 was in color. In big cities in 1973 everybody wore masks due to all of the pollution. In 2020 people wore masks because the Spanish flu was back.

When I woke up the morning I looked out my window and everything was gray and colorless and I thought perhaps I chose 1973? But then I looked across the room and saw my 20" flatscreen tv and thought "phew!"

Yeah, don't go back too far or everything will be in black and white.....when was it that they came out with color?

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    Yeah, don't go back too far or everything will be in black and white.....when was it that they came out with color?
    When I was a kid I actually used to ask my grandparents what year was it when the world became colored instead of black and white.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Niche indeed. My dad restores Mopars, so Iíve been around that scene my whole life. I donít know any classic car guys who are likely to put one of those in their cars. Maybe it would be okay for a car that has little collector value but is fun to drive, or is a more modern car to begin with. But complete numbers matching drivetrains are so integral to the value of a car as well as the driving experience I doubt very many people are going to be interested in putting it in true collector cars.
    Restomods are a thing for lower-end / more recent classic cars that people want to daily. A Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow isn't a candidate, but a salvagable junkyard C3 Vette might be. The general sentiment seems to be to preserve the exterior appearance while improving quality of life for the driver and passengers vis-ŗ-vis a modern powertrain, climate control, a modern head unit, etc.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

the new vette is even more pretty then lady gaga lol. i saw one a few days ago
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

I remember driving a 63 valiant convertible around. Someone was complaining about electronic ignitions just dying on you. With that valiant, I kept a ballast resistor in the glove box; that was the component that would leave you stranded.
    about 10 months ago, my Ď04 sienna left me stranded 70 miles from home with a dead cylinder. Turns out it was a bad coil pack,(at 225k miles) now I keep a spare one of them with me. Itís always something, and as much as I love the old cars, and trucks, for daily use Iíll drive something more modern.
    Iíve driven all sorts of stuff and I can say without hesitation that the most reliable have been the newer ones. Specifically, what we have now.
    what I do see as a problem though is that we are conveniencing ourselves to death. So much of what we ďneedĒ now are really just convenience items. I grew up without AC, electric can openers, Alexa, Siri, etc. We can do without it, but we choose not to. We have become lazier and at the same time expect everything immediately. Weíre drowning in our own trash, partly because no one bothers to repair what they own anymore, itís all viewed as disposable. Glorious, and yet sad time to be alive.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

a electic car should be more relaible . it amazes me that ice even last one year so many points to fail

Flashaholic*

I admit that charging systems have come a long way. Dc generators were direct current and seemed to work alright, but I don't know whether they put out a lot of current or not. I could rebuild them (they were more simple than a starter- although I never had to) and rewind the armatures within them. I'm kinda ignorant as to why they went to alternators except I reckon they could put out more power for their size. They produced ac current, but put out dc current with the help of the diodes within them. The only ones I've built were mainly the general motors CS and SI units along with the leech navils and police fords. When you rebuild used cores, sometimes you don't know if it is going to work properly until it is assembled. That though is mainly on the big SI 24 volt, yellow ones that go on heavy equipment. These units are also brushless. You have to put red loctite on them at assembly or else they can be shaken apart when put in use. Usually the rotor is a little warped and there was no way to easily tell that until assembled and tested. If bad you have to use a torch to heat them because of the red loctite- if you tried to dissemble without heat you will break the bolts.
    The smaller si units were way simpler and didn't require that and you didn't have to do any soldering like on the cs units. 10si and 12si were used on gm cars and trucks. I think the 10si was used from sometime in the 60s on into the 70s and the 12si was used from sometime in the 70s on into the 80s. The cs units were from the 90s. Cooling was an issue- the more amps they put out the hotter they ran. I forget what my truck had on it (the name), but when I built it I made it into a 10si when I bypassed the external regulator and put in an internal one and I used a higher amp rotor and stator to put out 60 amps instead of the stock 37 amps. The newer cs units have been replaced with newer units and they also have been replaced. All these vehicles with power everything need more amps. I think charging technology has come a long way......and then came the computor controlled charging systems.
    On those you have to replace the battery with the same one. You have to be careful when jumping another vehicle off- negative goes to an engine or body ground- not the negative post. If you replace the battery the computor has to be reprogrammed for the new battery or else it will overcharge it because it will still think it is the old battery. The computor chooses when to also charge the battery so the vehicle will get better mileage.
    That there is some messed up technology IMHO.
    The computer choses charging for mpg instead of for the overal health and performance of the battery. I myself care more if the vehicle is going to start rather than a few more measily mpgs.
    Also nowadays you have all those sensors and that is kinda difficult for the average do it yourselfer who has nothing to plug up to check the codes the computer is throwing out there. It can get expensive just replacing sensors till you finally replace the right one and it might be the computer instead of a sensor.
    If you go redneck and bog your vehicle down in water and the computer is under the seat or inside the kick panal you could ruin it if water seeps into the vehicle. On a old vehicle you might have to dry the inside of the distributor cap and you're good to go.
    Lol, when it comes to new and old tech it is kind of like "choose your poison". I think the epa has gone too far, but no worry for the rich folks because they can afford a new vehicle every year, but what about peasants like me? At least old tech is cheaper and easier to work on- especially if you're stranded on the road and the parts are cheap and for the most part still readily available. I'd rather drive a ol beater I can work on than some flashy newer thing that I don't know my grits from my gravy about.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-15-2021 at 03:18 AM.

Flashaholic*

Got to be careful when welding on them also. My brother in law messed something up just welding on his exhaust on a early 90s dodge puckup. He was supposed to disconnect the negative cable, but didn't know- I didn't even know. I forget what it was, but it was on some sort of assemble (maybe fuse box?) on the driver's side fender well. I figured a way to bypass it till he could get the part (it wasn't a fuse).
    On older vehicles you didn't have to worry about all that foolishness. When welding exhaust, if you had holes in your floorboard you would need to be careful and not let the sparks catch your carpet on fire.
    A mechanic did that on an old 64 3/4 ton chevy. He pulled the motor and maybe the trans and junked it. I probably could have gotten it for scrap price and fixed the inside wires, but I had forgotten that I had successfully tackeled something like that before on a 74 dodge that had the dash and some of the wiring harness melted and had run down to the floor.
    I got it where I could crank it with the key, got headlights and got it drivable. Only thing was it wasn't charging even after I had put on a new external voltage regulator and a rebuilt alternator.
    I asked a fellow I knew was into mopars and he said "did you connect the voltmeter wires together?". I finally figured out what he was talking about with my blonde mind (lol) and found the two connections for the in dash voltmeter and bolted them together and then it charged.
    The seat smelled like smoke though, so I took it out and put in a cement block to sit on- don't do that lol. I reinstalled the seat.
    All that- only with old tech.
    Man, that thing would burn the tires.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-14-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Flashaholic*

More about my dodge. It had no dash and I even took the heater out which left a big square hole in the passenger side firewall. If someone else drove and we were passing someone I could reach my arm out the hole and under the fender and wave at the person we're passing. Imagine someone passing you and a hand comes out from between the tire and fender lol. I took a lot of stuff off that truck to lighten it up. Yeah, it was almost too light to catch traction when trail riding and I never even took off the bed and tailgate.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-15-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:56 AM.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:57 AM.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:57 AM.

Flashaholic*

I don't mind the concept of electric vehicles now and I think a lot of that epa foolishness isn't installed on them because it isn't necessarily. Transmissions with more gears/speeds can help just about any ol engine pull good. The newer hemi's (as compaired to the old 426's) don't have any low end torque, yet can still pull well with these newer transmissions. I think chrysler corporation was the pioneer of these (please correct me if I'm wrong). When I first read about chryslers new transmissions a thought occurred to me that chrysler corp seems to be the worst one about bean counters, but were pioneers in much past technology. I wondered if these transmissions would hold up well if the bean counters leave them alone?

electric is so so much better but i understand the notalga of gas engines. but im a tech geek soon as new tech comes out i buy it i recall my switch from cassetes to cds the sound quailty was so much better now i am all about hd audio which sounds better then cds

Flashaholic*

I like mopars and had a few. From the early 60 on into the 90s car manufacturers have for the most part stayed true to their positives and negatives. Mopars tend to have wiring and front end (tie rods, ball joints, idler arms...etc) troubles. Parts are more expensive also. They seem different (in a fun way) from Ford and gm. Chevies were the cheapest to build for power and parts were readily available. Be careful putting big and wide tires on the 73- 87 model C10 trucks though, because the frame easily breaks where the power steering box mounts to it. It is a common thing and it cost me $400 to fix it. It never broke again till I got rid of it and the dude's step son wrecked it.
    The oldsmobile cutlass was a well built tank and their 350 was a good motor and I prefer it over the chevy 350. I had 3 cutlass's- the last was a 75 model. I traded it for a Ford truck. I never owned a pontiac, but their old 400 engine is a good one to make power and I have heard some amazing things about this engine and one time had a first hand experience with it.
    Back on mopars...please be wary of their hemi's. BPI's work truck has one and it went out before it hit the 200,000 mark- probably around 170,000 something. Engine was replaced and at under 10,000 miles it blew a head gasket. The newer mopar (chrysler corp) engines need good oil and it needs to be changed more often than what the dealer recommends. Use the oil they specify and change oil and filter at 3000 miles. Usually most of the stuff in oils is depleted at 3000 miles anyway unless you are using synthetics or heavy duty diesel oils. I prefer dino oils myself. The best mopar engine IMHO is the slant 6 and I've owned many of them and never killed one. That ol truck I stripped down and an old 4 wheel drive I've owned both had a 318 in them. I never killed those engines either, but a couple of folks I knew have broken the cams in them. They just snapped while going down the road- I wonder what's up with that?
    I mainly prefer Fords. They are full of surprises and chevy folk can mealy mouth about them all they want, but I've gotten good service out of them. I don't like their 250 six cylinder, but the rest of their 6's and V8 are alright. I prefer their small block windsor engines- 289, 302 and the 351. I also like their big block Fe engines. I had a 390 that made good power and got 20 mpg. You can spend $100 and get a good Ford (in 2007), but I've spent a lot more on a chevy and it still wasn't as good as the $100 Ford.
    Toyota, nissan/datson and honda all used to be quality vehicles. In the 70s they were ok. They got better and addressed the rust issues sometime in the 80s and were good on up to the mid 90s before they started giving problems like the other manufacturers.
    Fords and gm vehicles are different now and their engines are made from thinner casts than they used to be. Chevy's vortec heads are good and Ford has that ecoboost v6 that can outdo all their formal engines and also has good low end torque. The 3.5 ecoboost has some good reviews. I think their powerstroke diesel is still made by international and dodge still has the cummins diesel. The chevy duromax diesel was a failure, but I don't know what they are using now.
    Chevy addressed the frame issue in 87 (another manufactorer that had the old style and new style truck in the same year) new style truck which I both liked and hated. I hated it because of all the bragging they did even to the point of blowing up ford trucks in their commercials.
    Back to the ones made in Japan- gm, Ford and chrysler were putting out fairly good stuff in the 70s-90s (especially if you wanted a truck), but I didn't like their small cars and later on their small mid sized cars and later on their small full sized cars. The ltd/crown vic was alright till the end of it's run and so was the "real" full sized caprice, but all the rest of it....no way-IMHO. My cousin used to buy that junk and I would always say get one made in japan. His wife would say that the interiors rag out too easily. Well their new fancy mercury was toast (trans) at around 70,000, BUT the interior was still pert near perfect. If you ask me I'd rather have one that has a ragged out interior at 300,000-400,000+ than to have one the has a perfect interior still at 70,000 and I can't drive it anywhere. The Ford taurus was junk up to 2000 and then they got a "little" better. I liked the SHO taurus (I like sling shot vehicles), but it is also junk IMHO. The one my cousin had was a 2006 mercury montego.
    I still think mopars have a weak front end and they are high maintenance along with the jeep.
    The mercedes m class is also high maintenance.
    I had the privilege of twice driving one. Once on their test track. I drove it like it was an old Ford and I was impressed. It felt top heavy though. My 88 bronco 2 and 1979 Ford fairmont futura felt more stabile, but the punch of that engine and their traction control system is what impressed me. They aren't worth the money though and at best they are only a class symbol to impress people.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    electric is so so much better but i understand the notalga of gas engines. but im a tech geek soon as new tech comes out i buy it i recall my switch from cassetes to cds the sound quailty was so much better now i am all about hd audio which sounds better then cds
    Believe it or not, I'm also a tech geek when it comes to software. I like to try and play with different kinds of software. I'm using bromite and fennec for my browsers on this phone. Bromite is a varient of chrome that has been ungoogled. Fennec is an unbranded form of firefox. I use f-droid and apkpure for my app stores because I have ungoogled my android. I can also clean up and clean out computers including the registry and hunt down viruses and malware. Some of the good apps have gone away, but many are still around. Some of my special apps I like to hide and rename them to prevent sabatouge from a hacker. I'm not perfect, but I'm persistant and count any viruses and malware as a challenge.
    I also like audio without the white noise and jam systems are getting way better- even the cheap ones.

Flashaholic*

Radio stations...
    How do you old timers like the syndicated radio stations with big corporations buying out the independent local stations and putting their syndicated stuff on there?
    I don't. I long for the way it used to be with local stations and personalities.
    People like TC and John Ed 660 AM WSGN, Coyote Calhoun 960 AM WERC, Mark and Brian 94.5, Lucky Lip Lanier WACT, Syrup Sopper WACT, Patty and the Doc 104.7 WZZK, Joe Rumore 690 AM WVOK, Ben Chalker WPYK AM and later 96.5 WMJJ- Magic 96, Andrew and Jessica.....etc. Chicago had Jacky Raniese and Mark St. Bob on 890 AM WLS.
    I think the only local independent station we have now is 99.5- talk 99. It has Leland live (he's good) along with some others left over from when it was a rock station.
    I know about Rick and Bubba- I think the local Birmingham station WZZK is still their home base although they are syndicated. I never listened to Johnboy and Billy, but I like their BBQ sauce. There are others in other states including one in Nashville- 650 AM WSM (good station) and another that Empath mentioned in another thread.
    I'd like to hear some of y'alls favorites.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-16-2021 at 04:17 AM.

Unenlightened

OP - I think the feelings you are feeling are somewhat normal. A lot of people don't like change (unless they are the ones doing the changing).

I know for sure that although i'm younger, I dislike the change that has happened during my lifetime. And I know my grandad dislikes the change in his, and i'm sure people generations before were the same too...

We're stuck in our ways but have to embrace change to a certain degree, or else we'll become grumpy old farts, and the world will look at us as just "out of touch", to which sense we will become by that point.

My advice would be to stick to what you believe is right, and if you think some tech has goen too far - don't use it. But i certainly also wouldn't dismiss anyone for liking or using it, or else you could come across as a bit of a grump

Hope you stay safe.
    T

Flashaholic*

Phou1973, welcome to CPF.I really don't consider someone a grump till they remind me of Archy Bunker of the sitcom "all in the family". I reckon grumpiness can be interpreted by what you are used to being around. America wouldn't exist today if everyone kept their mouths shut and just put up with the british rule over us. But we didn't...we pushed back, we voiced our negative opinions and we pulled together and fought back. There is a balance though. Y'all do what you want to here, but I just want this thread to be a mellow, but informative and reminisive yet balanced with the present. A place to voice your fears and apprehensions of the present and future, but also the good things about the present and future. A place to miss, but a place to embrace. It's difficult to talk about modern times without at least referencing the past a little (in my case a lot). I have mainly been on the subject of vehicles, but there are so many subjects that can be covered here. I hope the mods jump in and keep it civil if it gets out of hand. I guess a person is on the subject as long as the present is referenced in some form and fashion and the past ties into it. The present technology contrasted by the past technology and living in it now and then. It is in a way difficult to reference the present and past without touching on tech.
    I guess even the mandella effect could be covered here- I don't know. If it can't the mods will let us know.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-16-2021 at 06:53 PM.

Flashaholic*

"My advice would be to stick to what you believe is right, and if you think some tech has goen too far - don't use it."

Well, that's half and thank you for posting.
    IMHO, don't use it and voice your negative feedback. I'm thinking that you might be referencing to me calling the Ford tarus junk. I'm sure though that if the bean counters stayed out of it the taurus would have been a dependable car and also the newest version of the montego. Bean counters are like pine beatles IMHO.
    Seems like Japan told them to go jump in a lake till the mid 90s. I myself believe in keeping costs down, but NOT at the expense of quality.
    A lot of modern stuff is disposable nowadays. Can anyone on here imagine someone restoring a "classic taurus" (lol) and taking it around to car shows?

Edit: probably one of the biggest lemons of all time (and I think y'all would agree) was the chevy vega, yet I wanted one as a kid and wouldn't mind having one now. They are fun to drive, but very high maintence. The bean counters had a hayday with that thing to keep it at a certain price point, but certain options helped, but I don't think they had anything to do with the aluminum block and the cast iron head. By design they thought that the block didn't need steel liners and because the vega was rushed to production the cooling system was insufficient. You had to baby it and keep it cool. One of the options was a bigger radiator.
    Rust was another problem and they could have addressed that with galvanized metal along with fiberglass hood, trunk lid and fenders. The fiberglass would have helped to keep the weight down, but make it more dangerous in crashes
    I wish chevrolet would come out with reproduction electric version. I would miss the vibration of the four banger though because that was part of the vega experience (along with being broke down on the side of the road).
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-16-2021 at 08:16 PM.

I generally avoid commercial radio anymore. We had a few great stations in the past, they were while independent at least. Now itís the same old everything.
    WMMS 100.7 used to push the envelope and release new albums a day or so early. They got fined, but it grew their audience enough so they didnít care. When the Wall came out the played it in itís entirety a day early. They also were the first station in the country to play many new bands not the least of which was Rush.
    WNCX 98.5 is another rock station ruined by corporate takeover.
    WGAR 99.5 used to be a real country station, well regarded all around the country. Now it just plays pop music with a twang like all the others.
    Thankfully, we have some great college stations and a really good public radio station in WCPN 90.3.
    Oh well, Iíll just have to deal with Pandora and Spotifyís algorithms.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I generally avoid commercial radio anymore. We had a few great stations in the past, they were while independent at least. Now itís the same old everything.
    WMMS 100.7 used to push the envelope and release new albums a day or so early. They got fined, but it grew their audience enough so they didnít care. When the Wall came out the played it in itís entirety a day early. They also were the first station in the country to play many new bands not the least of which was Rush.
    WGAR 99.5 used to be a real country station, well regarded all around the country. Now it just plays pop music with a twang like all the others.
    Thankfully, we have some great college stations and a really good public radio station in WCPN 90.3.
    i loved the buzard wmms

Flashaholic*

Y'all remember the pinto? That was a good car with a bad gas tank design. If driven in the country you didn't have to be worried about being rear ended so much. I seen one that could wind up to 70 mph in 2nd gear with a four speed. A friend was cutting doughnuts in one with me in the passenger seat enjoying it and his brother in the back freaking out and saying the driver was going to blow us up lol- only in a pinto.
    The newer escort wasn't a fire hazard like the pinto, but it was high maintenance and undependable. It was still more dependable than the vega though.
    The 74-78 mustangs also had the same issue as the pintos and so did all the older mustangs I later learned. I was disappointed to learn that. All the fox body mustangs were alright. The fox body was also the platform for the downsized thunderbird and the smaller version LTD. Those were tough vehicles and the mustang and LTD versions were good trail riders and handled great. I crossed the cahaba river (the sholes- 2-3 foot deep) in a 84 mustang.
    I wonder how these new trucks would do if taken off road with those panals under the front bumper?
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-16-2021 at 08:47 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    That's what I'm taking about. Thanks for posting that jabe1.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast