HDS Systems        
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 391

Thread: Modern Technology and times

  1. #181

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I miss flying toaster screen saver.
    John 3:16

  2. #182
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I've had to tell people that Coke isn't that harmful to your stomach by asking them what they know about hydrochloric acid. Once I convinced them that the concentration of HCL in their stomach was a LOT stronger than the acid in colas and that your stomach doesn't melt under it they realized that they had been duped to believe it.
    As for phones in the microwave frequencies again people are being mislead as to how harmful it was. If they were truly seriously afraid of microwaves the standard wifi router is on the edge of wifi frequencies in fact if you get at the higher channels a running microwave oven that is near your wifi receiver can interfere with it to the point that you can't get any data reception at all. People would have to turn off their 2.4Ghz router and some older cordless phones also. Basically speaking running a microwave oven gets you some leakage from it although not enough to be harmful to you but harmful enough to mess with some pacemakers.

    Also bluetooth is close to microwave and wifi frequencies at 2.4Ghz
    Last edited by Lynx_Arc; 03-07-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  3. #183
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I miss flying toaster screen saver.
    I had the starfield one most of the time.... space cadet.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  4. #184
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,939

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Flying toasters! Yes I liked that one also.

    Now that we're pretty much done with CRTs and plasma screens, the whole purpose of a "screen saver" is pretty much moot. These days it's useful more as a "hey I'm still turned on" indicator.

  5. #185
    *Flashaholic* idleprocess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    dfw.tx.us
    Posts
    5,830

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    As for phones in the microwave frequencies again people are being mislead as to how harmful it was. If they were truly seriously afraid of microwaves the standard wifi router is on the edge of wifi frequencies in fact if you get at the higher channels a running microwave oven that is near your wifi receiver can interfere with it to the point that you can't get any data reception at all. People would have to turn off their 2.4Ghz router and some older cordless phones also. Basically speaking running a microwave oven gets you some leakage from it although not enough to be harmful to you but harmful enough to mess with some pacemakers.

    Also bluetooth is close to microwave and wifi frequencies at 2.4Ghz
    There's wifi interference a-plenty on the GE Spacemaker band.

    Wifi is pretty much limited to 100mW transmit strength. Bluetooth can be as high as 100mW, but is usually lower.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

  6. #186
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    There's wifi interference a-plenty on the GE Spacemaker band.

    Wifi is pretty much limited to 100mW transmit strength. Bluetooth can be as high as 100mW, but is usually lower.
    Yes, when I use the microwave oven in my room here my wifi often cuts out it depends on what frequency it has drifted to sometimes it works fine other times I'm lucky to get 1mbps.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  7. #187
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I talk too much, so y'all carry on while I read more and talk less.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-10-2021 at 03:20 PM.

  8. #188
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Deleted.

    We don't bump. Threads will live or die by it's own value and content.


    Ok, sorry Empath. Why do y'all have the bump smilie for? That confuses me.

    There's some places a bump can be recognized as purposeful beyond trying to keep a thread alive, such as a marketplace sales thread.

    Ok
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 09:22 PM.

  9. #189
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,939

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Yes, when I use the microwave oven in my room here my wifi often cuts out it depends on what frequency it has drifted to sometimes it works fine other times I'm lucky to get 1mbps.
    This is a well known issue with microwave ovens and wi-fi. I stood in front of an oven while watching a wi-fi signal on a spectrum analyzer. When I turned on the oven, it stomped all over the wi-fi carriers. Some ovens leak more than others - it depends largely on how well t he door seals when it's closed. An older oven might have bent hinges or worn gaskets and will leak more RF energy.

  10. #190
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    This is a well known issue with microwave ovens and wi-fi. I stood in front of an oven while watching a wi-fi signal on a spectrum analyzer. When I turned on the oven, it stomped all over the wi-fi carriers. Some ovens leak more than others - it depends largely on how well t he door seals when it's closed. An older oven might have bent hinges or worn gaskets and will leak more RF energy.
    I think also the closeness of it to receiver/transmitters is a problem If your router if farther away than the oven from your device connected via wifi then it could overwhelm it with RF garbage but if the signal is strong enough to overcome the microwave oven bleedover then you won't have a big problem. I tried putting a metal shield over my antenna for my computer to reduce or block the microwave interference and has limited success. I don't have 5Ghz wifi on my computer but my phone does have it so it escapes the interference. It is sad that the folks at the FCC and computer companies and microwave manufacturers couldn't have made it so the frequencies were not so close together to make for any problems.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  11. #191
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    They have microwaves with inverter technology. I had one, but it didn't last long.

  12. #192
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    They have microwaves with inverter technology. I had one, but it didn't last long.
    I have 2 of them. Panasonic makes them and they have one huge advantage in that unlike normal microwave ovens that cycle on/off they work 100% on at the percentage rate which means that you can run them on circuits that cannot handle 1000+ watts. I used mine in a house on a circuit that couldn't handle is on 100% duty running at 80% it almost never tripped the circuit but 100% it would trip the circuit if anything else was running in the house. Mine lasted about 7 years then died and I bought a new one and then I found a used one that was broken and got it for nothing and the inverter board was fine in it while mine had burned up... swapped boards and back to running again. I could probably run it off an 12v input car inverter that puts out 400watts by running the microwave oven at 30%. It would take longer but I could cook with it I think.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  13. #193

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    microwaves the lerfect device if ya eant the plate as hot as lava the food freezeing in tge midfle hot ad hell in some parts and if you want to cook soup and have the potaoes explode scaring you thinking its a hime invasion
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  14. #194
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I have a panasonic inverter type and it didn't even last a year. I looked up user reviews and they said on there that panasonic was bought out and it isn't a quality product anymore. It's just a cheap product with quality name.

    A friend of mine that is a nutritionist and herbalist said that microwaves change the composition of the foods and nuked foods have no nutritional value to them anymore. Also if you want the highest nutritional value you have to eat stuff raw (vegetables) or lightly steam them.

  15. #195

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    i do like the instant cooker type of cookers. i can put jn a pork roast that cost like 90 cents per pound a hour latter its so tender that ya cant even getit out of pot it just falls apart. so i empty cooker into a strainer theni add it to rice and use some asain sauce i forget which one but i promiise u willl love it
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  16. #196

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland,Oh
    Posts
    2,774

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    I would like to see data on this. Claims like this are suspect. Microwaves basically excite the molecules in the food, producing heat. They donít change the chemical composition.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    A friend of mine that is a nutritionist and herbalist said that microwaves change the composition of the foods and nuked foods have no nutritional value to them anymore. Also if you want the highest nutritional value you have to eat stuff raw (vegetables) or lightly steam them.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

  17. #197
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,939

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    Microwaves basically excite the molecules in the food, producing heat. They donít change the chemical composition.
    Exactly. They cause the water molecules in the food to vibrate really fast, producing friction and thus heat. It's why you can put a dry paper towel in a microwave oven and it won't even get warm because there are no water molecules to vibrate.

  18. #198
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    No big deal if y'all believe different and don't want to change your mind. I just put my opinion out there. I don't want to argue, so ya'll just believe what u want to believe. Peace
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 09:46 PM.

  19. #199
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    i do like the instant cooker type of cookers. i can put jn a pork roast that cost like 90 cents per pound a hour latter its so tender that ya cant even getit out of pot it just falls apart. so i empty cooker into a strainer theni add it to rice and use some asain sauce i forget which one but i promiise u willl love it
    Mmmm.....lol, I'm coming over to ur house to eat raggie.

  20. #200
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    I have a panasonic inverter type and it didn't even last a year. I looked up user reviews and they said on there that panasonic was bought out and it isn't a quality product anymore. It's just a cheap product with quality name.

    A friend of mine that is a nutritionist and herbalist said that microwaves change the composition of the foods and nuked foods have no nutritional value to them anymore. Also if you want the highest nutritional value you have to eat stuff raw (vegetables) or lightly steam them.
    I didn't know that.. my 2 panasonic inverter ovens are I think between 10 and 20 years old so likely they are made by panasonic and are the "quality ones".
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  21. #201
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I didn't know that.. my 2 panasonic inverter ovens are I think between 10 and 20 years old so likely they are made by panasonic and are the "quality ones".
    I think so. There is a website about this that has costumer complaints on it. It is mighty informative. All I can say is almost $300 want down my drain and I have a big ol useless thing taking up space. It has been replaced by a very cheap one that my mother in law gave us and has outlasted that other one. The thing is the cheap one was old and well used when it was given to us. It probably cost $50-$75 new 5 or 6 years ago.

  22. #202
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    I think so. There is a website about this that has costumer complaints on it. It is mighty informative. All I can say is almost $300 want down my drain and I have a big ol useless thing taking up space. It has been replaced by a very cheap one that my mother in law gave us and has outlasted that other one. The thing is the cheap one was old and well used when it was given to us. It probably cost $50-$75 new 5 or 6 years ago.
    I've had similar happen. I bought a 4 cu ft dorm fridge and it had a 3 years warranty and died a little over 2 years and I had to pay $15 for shipping to get another one that is still working 10 years later fine. I've found the pressure to save money in manufacturing has often resulted in things just not lasting very long as they are built to last long enough that the warranty won't cover it. My two panasonice inverter ovens cost about $125 for the first one at Sam's and $160 for the second one at Target. I'm using the second one still but not that often since my roommate moved out I inherited his microwave oven and even though it isn't as good it fits in the dining area and at that location most often it doesn't affect my wifi at all while the space in my room almost always messes things up. I wish I had the smaller model now for one of them they are both the 2.1 Cu ft models
    When I was a kid I was given a microwave oven when I went to college and it died on me and I fixed it once then it died again and prices on them were a lot cheaper so I bought my first panasonic. Now it is hard to find anything that you can trust to last many are buying warranties and I've seen the prices rising on them and coverage shortening more and more.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  23. #203
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    There was a time when refrigerators used to last 50 to 60 years. When I went to work at Auto Armature in early 89 my boss had a microwave in the dining room that he had bought new for his home back in the 70s. When I got layed off from the third time I worked there was December 2008 and if memory serves me right it was still there and working. I think it was a sears kenmore.

  24. #204
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    There was a time when refrigerators used to last 50 to 60 years. When I went to work at Auto Armature in early 89 my boss had a microwave in the dining room that he had bought new for his home back in the 70s. When I got layed off from the third time I worked there was December 2008 and if memory serves me right it was still there and working. I think it was a sears kenmore.
    I had a sears kenmore microwave oven that lasted over 30 years it had one feature that they no longer have and that is a temperature probe which you can stick in something type in a temperature and it runs till it reaches that temp and holds it there as long as you want.
    It was one of the first lines to have a digital readout and keypad I think.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  25. #205
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Sears had some good stuff and I hate to see them go. I think whirpool made their kenmore appliances.
    The one my boss had didn't have the digital display- it had a rotory knob, so that must have been early to mid 70s.

  26. #206
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    Sears had some good stuff and I hate to see them go. I think whirpool made their kenmore appliances.
    The one my boss had didn't have the digital display- it had a rotory knob, so that must have been early to mid 70s.
    Yup.... whirlpool and other companies made their appliances. We have a plant here where they make stuff. My mom's microwave was purchased in the mid 70s so it could be the late 60s to early 70s.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  27. #207
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Could have been that long. It had a high and low switch on it. It heated good- I used to heat my sandwiches in it in the winter. That was a good place to work. We could cut up and even the boss man would cut up with us. I had some good friends there- most have passed on now. Most died from cancer.

  28. #208
    *Flashaholic* Lynx_Arc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    10,383

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    Could have been that long. It had a high and low switch on it. It heated good- I used to heat my sandwiches in it in the winter. That was a good place to work. We could cut up and even the boss man would cut up with us. I had some good friends there- most have passed on now. Most died from cancer.
    I hate cancer.... it is a lot worse than Covid is to me as it took my father and I doubt Covid would have affected him as he never was sick from flu or colds
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  29. #209
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I hate cancer.... it is a lot worse than Covid is to me as it took my father and I doubt Covid would have affected him as he never was sick from flu or colds
    Me too. It also doesn't have any age limits. They ought to have a way to cure it by now a person would think.

  30. #210
    Flashaholic* Katherine Alicia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central UK.
    Posts
    813

    Default Re: Modern Technology and times

    a Good many things could be cured by now but there`s no money in that, you make a lot more selling drugs to mask symptoms instead, and still be perceived as being "Helpful" and "Good".
    Last edited by Katherine Alicia; 03-12-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •