Acebeam        
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Modern Technology and times

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Modern Technology and times

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    a Good many things could be cured by now but there`s no money in that, you make a lot more selling drugs to mask symptoms instead, and still be perceived as being "Helpful" and "Good".
    I thought that too, but I was trying not to be so long winded. I heard there was a cure, but like you said.....no money in it. All those machines and drugs are profitable to them and money is all that matters- not the person suffering.

I miss Radio Shack.

When I was a kid Radio Shack was a place you bought parts to fix stuff with. They had some electronics too. Even radios. But later on somebody there decided to try to compete with Circuit City, Best Buy, even Wal Mart to a degree. The parts department was still there but instead of being located in some out of the way former post office or 7-11 they moved to expensive shopping malls and tried to play the game of commerce against larger rivals. So now if you want a cord for a printer or some electrical parts to fix a toaster you go online or just toss the toaster and buy a new one.
    Bummer
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Radio shack was where my dad bought electrical parts going back into the 70s. Later on I bought my first scanner there, a 102 inch steel whip antenna and my first android. In pelham they had a fellow at radio shack that looked and talked just like ol Detrick on that Barny Miller sitcom. Everyone was nice there. I guess I miss them also.

Check this out: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/i...#main_catalogs just pick your year and geek out for a while!
    Radio Shack was haunt when I was growing up, I`d spend ages in there every single time I got a dollar or 2, most kids would buy candy, not me, I`d spend all my money in there and visit regularly just to see what was new in that week. Naturally I was a "Battery Club" member too and used to claim my free 9v battery each month to use in my electronics kit,the 75 in One (I still have it! and others).
    I had a summer job at a place in the Japanesse quarter of the food hall of our local shopping mall (mostly peeling onions and cooking tons of rice), and I earned $129 (Canadian) when I`d finished there, I walked straight out the food hall across to the other side of the mall and into Radio Shack and bought the 160 in One kit!
    Exciting times for a youngster!

Flashaholic*

Thank you for that link Katherine. It sounds like you also had a good time there. They should have kept some of their stores.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-12-2021 at 09:18 AM.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    I thought that too, but I was trying not to be so long winded. I heard there was a cure, but like you said.....no money in it. All those machines and drugs are profitable to them and money is all that matters- not the person suffering.
    I'm skeptical that there's a cure for cancer sitting somewhere in a vault but I'll allow that it's possible for the reasons you mentioned. This would really hit home if that were the case because my cat passed away from cancer on February 23. If only there had been a shot which could have cured her when I bought her in to the emergency clinic 5 weeks before.

Ironically, there would be more incentive for "cures", instead of drugs to mask symptoms, if we moved towards government paying for health care instead of private insurance or out-of-pocket paying for it. Government wants to keep the taxes to pay for health care as low as possible, so they're going to favor things which either cure, or better yet, prevent, expensive health problems. Not so in the current system where hospitals can make huge amounts of money "treating" cancer patients but not curing them. Ditto for heart disease.

*Flashaholic*

I didn't even know about inverter microwave ovens until this thread. The concept is great, but it sounds like the implementation leaves something to be desired. I'd love to try one, but I'll look for one which has good reviews first.

I had a battery of the month card also. We had a Radio Shack right across the street from my workplace back then and it was a lifesaver when we needed some oddball part or connector in a hurry. I paid so many visits to their stores, usually for a pack of resistors, capacitors or transistors. It really started to slide downhill when they decided to get into the cellphone market. It seems that the electronics-savvy sales people drifted away when that happened and they were gradually replaced with cellphone sales staff. Bah.

I don't think the cellphone market is what caused their downhill slide but rather more availability of electronics in stores like Best Buy and Circuit city and the abandoning of the Optimus and other exclusive radio shack product lines plus either inability or lack of desire to compete with other stores. Radio shack had their own battery line yet you could find name brand batteries for the same or cheaper in other stores.
    I think with the advent of LSI components and disposable electronics and the internet.. all ganged up on them. When I can mail order from Mouser a lot cheaper than buying from Radio Shack and ebay electronic cables for a fraction of the cost for the SAME cables even.
    When they abandoned half the store to do the "look I sell cell phones too" bit that started the acceleration of a slow downfall for them.
    Radio shack slowly abandoned the hobbiest to sell overpriced gadgest to non geeks and it used to be they had their own products that were competitively priced and sales on them making them almost irresistible. I still use a pair speakers I bought from RS in the early 80s.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Valid points Lynx Arc. The advent of LSIs and SOCs really did contribute to bringing down the cost of electronic devices to the point that they became more disposable. It also didn't help that the technical schools like Devry were folding.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    I'm skeptical that there's a cure for cancer sitting somewhere in a vault but I'll allow that it's possible for the reasons you mentioned. This would really hit home if that were the case because my cat passed away from cancer on February 23. If only there had been a shot which could have cured her when I bought her in to the emergency clinic 5 weeks before.

Ironically, there would be more incentive for "cures", instead of drugs to mask symptoms, if we moved towards government paying for health care instead of private insurance or out-of-pocket paying for it. Government wants to keep the taxes to pay for health care as low as possible, so they're going to favor things which either cure, or better yet, prevent, expensive health problems. Not so in the current system where hospitals can make huge amounts of money "treating" cancer patients but not curing them. Ditto for heart disease.
    I believe there is also a carburetor out there or the blueprints for one that would get 100 mpg, but it was surpressed. There was a man on youtube that ran his push mower off of water (hydrogen tech).

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    I didn't even know about inverter microwave ovens until this thread. The concept is great, but it sounds like the implementation leaves something to be desired. I'd love to try one, but I'll look for one which has good reviews first.
    That's a good ideal. I thought panasonic was a good brand and I was right about the "was" part. I had no ideal they were sold out and cheapened. If I can remember I"ll look at user reviews next time.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I don't think the cellphone market is what caused their downhill slide but rather more availability of electronics in stores like Best Buy and Circuit city and the abandoning of the Optimus and other exclusive radio shack product lines plus either inability or lack of desire to compete with other stores. Radio shack had their own battery line yet you could find name brand batteries for the same or cheaper in other stores.
    I think with the advent of LSI components and disposable electronics and the internet.. all ganged up on them. When I can mail order from Mouser a lot cheaper than buying from Radio Shack and ebay electronic cables for a fraction of the cost for the SAME cables even.
    When they abandoned half the store to do the "look I sell cell phones too" bit that started the acceleration of a slow downfall for them.
    Radio shack slowly abandoned the hobbiest to sell overpriced gadgest to non geeks and it used to be they had their own products that were competitively priced and sales on them making them almost irresistible. I still use a pair speakers I bought from RS in the early 80s.
    They also had their own cb radios. I liked their "navaho" line.

I believe there is also a carburetor out there or the blueprints for one that would get 100 mpg, but it was surpressed. There was a man on youtube that ran his push mower off of water (hydrogen tech).
    I've heard those stories and if you do the science they are just fantasy. The "running off of water" thing may work but it takes more power to break down the water into hydrogen and oxygen molecules than you get back when you use it for fuel so basically it is fantasy also as a power source you are probably better off to buy an electric mower and charge batteries. Gas motors I believe are maybe 25% efficient or thereabouts so to get 100mpg it would have to be made out of cardboard and styrofoam and have a gerbil to power it.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

Could be about that carb. I saw the youtube video about the mower though. It worked and from what I could see the fellow had a lot of stuff on it and explained how it all worked. It looked like he put water in it, but you can't tell from just watching a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    Check this out: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/i...#main_catalogs just pick your year and geek out for a while!
    Radio Shack was haunt when I was growing up, I`d spend ages in there every single time I got a dollar or 2, most kids would buy candy, not me, I`d spend all my money in there and visit regularly just to see what was new in that week. Naturally I was a "Battery Club" member too and used to claim my free 9v battery each month to use in my electronics kit,the 75 in One (I still have it! and others).
    I had a summer job at a place in the Japanesse quarter of the food hall of our local shopping mall (mostly peeling onions and cooking tons of rice), and I earned $129 (Canadian) when I`d finished there, I walked straight out the food hall across to the other side of the mall and into Radio Shack and bought the 160 in One kit!
    Exciting times for a youngster!
    +

I'll go ahead & say it in this post.

Huge respect to Katherine for holding her own in a forum w/ 99.99% guys

..you add the proper seasoning to the discussion

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

+1
    Comment removed

Some comments and/or references will not be posted on CPF no matter how well obfuscated or concealed. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. - Empath
    Last edited by Empath; 03-13-2021 at 09:02 PM.
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

Mmmm.....lol, I'm coming over to ur house to eat raggie.
    it really is good lol i was thinking last night who taught me to cook since i moved out around 15 or so. i recall a roomate in cleveland ohio how to cook a chicken thigh . then some one else taught me how to know if pasta is ready buy throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks but now i.think he was teaseing me lol
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    +1

Some comments and/or references will not be posted on CPF no matter how well obfuscated or concealed. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. - Empath
    Awww Thanks, that`s really sweet! *Blushes*
    The company here makes it easy though, I tend not to think in terms of Male/Female but rather we`re just people that for some inexplicable reason love Flashlights, and that means we have more important things in common than not.
    Last edited by Empath; 03-13-2021 at 09:06 PM.

+

iI foresee a big run on incandescent drop-ins.

I was looking for a keychain for a car I just got and went to every parts store in town looking for one. A smiley face, a fish, anything. It's not a Ford, Jeep or Dodge so I struck out. While there I thought "why not get a windshield sun blocker?"……no dice. I was thinking folding cardboard with something cheesy like a palm tree, or perhaps some space age foil looking roll up number. Nope, nada. Ok, how about a car cover? Nope. Well not for a car.

So today Mrs Fixer and I went to WalMart and again the same thing. While walking in there we noticed much of the things we bought there just a year ago is no more. Not even a $5 movie bin. We both agreed we've been left behind as we heard 'country rap' playing over the PA system instead of 'muzac'.

I ended up grabbing a tiny nite ize keychan type number from Home Depot.

And I'm good to go on incan drop ins. Good thing 'cause you sure won't find those in stores anymore.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-14-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Flashaholic*

My local walmart is conspiring against me. Seems like once they find out what I like they quit carrying it

Flashaholic*

+1 to what orbital said Katherine

My local walmart is conspiring against me. Seems like once they find out what I like they quit carrying it

Yes. Or the manufacturer's marketing department changes the look of the packaging completely so you can't find it. I've never understood the logic behind this.

Flashaholic*

Me neither. Stores have changed so much.
    I also miss the $5 bin. My wife and I have gotten some good movies from there.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-14-2021 at 02:19 PM.

They still have the bins, but often $5 items are still on the shelves. Physical media is shrinking in all stores the digital market and streaming are destroying the market. Dvds are often in a $3.74 bin here.

+

How about something that has many advanced technologies in one small package.

Last week I stumbled onto endoscopes; thought to myself, never had anything like that before..hmm
    Well, the more I thought about how much cheaper all the bits of technology have come down ( monitor, camera, memory card, chips, battery,, everything)
    the more it became interesting instrument/tool to have on hand.

Looking at the TESLONG NTS450A and the overall value, I read from the manufacturer that it uses a 18650 for power.
    Now I'm in, if I can replace that w/ a Sanyo 3400mAh or maybe even squeeze in a 20700 @ 4250mAh, that becomes very interesting to me.

So for $84 shipped it was difficult to argue against it, even if it takes some resoldering to modify.

There are many technologies I really don't care for,,,,, but this endoscope isn't connected to the clouddddddddd}}**{{

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    It's funny how the 3˝" floppy icon has endured in many an application as the "save file" shortcut despite the medium being wholly absent from modern desktop for about 20 years. Wonder if it will endure like standard >50 year old media control icons which are a combination of intuitive (play, reverse, fast-forward, rewind) and merely recognizable because of their ubiquity (stop, pause, record, skip, eject)?
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-04-2021 at 01:24 AM.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast