ArmyTek        
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Modern Technology and times

Default Re: Modern Technology and times

When the compact disc arrived it was about a year later I asked myself "wait a second, isn't disc supposed to be spelled with a K?"

Legacy symbols on clothing goes over my head. Used to be a label would say (for example) "machine wash cold, no iron" but now it has symbols in some cases. I look at that and say "huh?" I get the no iron symbol because it looks like an iron with a circle/line as in don't do that but the rest daunt me. The circle line is also universal. No parking, no nukes, that sort of thing.

Last evening as I was falling asleep for the night and Mrs Fixer was watching a how to video. The narrator kept saying things with three letter acronyms. At one point things went quiet. I asked her "is the video over?" She replied "no I'm searching the web to see what all those dam three letter acronyms stand for, why can't people just use words anymore?"

In my industry people tend to use three letter acronyms to show others "I'm in the know". Sometimes in meetings I'll say well it seems that all this ITK may just cause some folks to not understand what it is we are talking about, so instead of throwing around a bunch of TLA's perhaps we should just come out and say what it is we are talking about. The younger sect pick up their little smart devices and google ITK while the older crowd says "here here, good point"……
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

If they use those 3 letter acronyms on tv- time I look them up I would probably forget the conversation they were used in. I have looked some up before, but if I don't use them often enough they still fly over my head. It's a young person thing mainly I guess.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-04-2021 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    In my industry people tend to use three letter acronyms to show others "I'm in the know"
    My industry (telecom) is amok with TLAs (Three-Letter Acronyms), ETLAs (Extended Three-Letter Acronyms), and even HETLAs (Hyper-Extended Three-Letter Acronyms). This problem is aggravated with each department or team coining different terms for the same freaking thing. They serve some purpose for brevity when the term is widely-understood, but are overused otherwise.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    My industry (telecom) is amok with TLAs (Three-Letter Acronyms), ETLAs (Extended Three-Letter Acronyms), and even HETLAs (Hyper-Extended Three-Letter Acronyms). This problem is aggravated with each department or team coining different terms for the same freaking thing. They serve some purpose for brevity when the term is widely-understood, but are overused otherwise.
    When your network interface card sends a negative acknowledgement, that's a NIC NAK.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    When your network interface card sends a negative acknowledgement, that's a NIC NAK.
    LOL... and what's a "paddy whack"?

I thought that GPE would stand for "Gas Powered Equipment", but nope:
    Acronym Definition
    GPE Gross-Pitaevskii Equation (physics)
    GPE Graphic Parallelization Environment
    GPE General Protection Error
    GPE General Purpose Event
    GPE Group Policy Editor
    GPE Government Wide Point of Entry
    GPE Governmentwide Point of Entry
    GPE Gravitational Potential Energy
    GPE Group Policy Editor (Microsoft)
    GPE Greatest Potential for Exposure (Canada)
    GPE Grove Park Elementary (North Carolina)
    GPE General-Purpose Event (ACPI)
    GPE Great Plains Energy Incorporated (Kansas City, MO)
    GPE Gold Plated Everything
    GPE Germ Plasm Evaluation (livestock)
    GPE Global Pharmacovigilance and Epidemiology
    GPE Green Power Experience (New York)
    GPE Greatest Possible Error
    GPE Gas Phase Epitaxy
    GPE General Purpose Evaporator
    GPE Graphite Paste Electrode
    GPE Galena Peak Enterprises (mining; Las Vegas, NV)
    GPE Generalized Potential Energy (mechanics)
    GPE Gross Profit Estimate
    Copyright 1988-2018 AcronymFinder.com, All rights reserved.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

so it`s not `Gigantic Pink Elephant` then?
    I feel cheated now

My refrigerator gave me grief recently so I did some research. It seems these days there are smart refrigerators that remind you to get milk or tell you the 3 month old lettuce way in the back has rotted. Trouble is at some point the smart refigerator is no longer able to communicate with the host after an operating system upgrade. So the folks who paid an extra grand end up with one that has nothing better than the one where you look at the milk carton and decide "ok today's the day".

The company I work for laughed at people like me ten years ago who put a sticky note over the laptop camera or wrapped the company vehicle key fob with foil and kept wifi in the vehicle turned off. Recently they sent out an email with a link to obtain official okee dokee laptop camera covers complete with company logo. In addition it reccomends you manually lock your vehicle, don't use wifi to navigate and the best one……cover your key fob with……wait for it……alluminum foil. But there's more. For those who don't want to waste alluminum foil they reccomend you put your key fob inside your smart refigerator. Apparently hackers can't access your key fob through a refigerator……unless it's a smart refrigerator hooked up to the world wide web. Oh wait, they haven't thought of that yet.
    Now none of this is to protect the employees information (gasp), no it's to make sure hackers can't gain access to company information.

So remember next time you take a photo with a smart memory card or tell Alexis to turn on the living room light that it seems data thieves are now using your Bill Gates style smart house to steal your tax refund or worse……

There is truth behind the keyfob thing. Just don't keep it in the microwave, as that could end badly.

One day I showed Mrs Fixer I could download photos from her phone with mine and used NFC to do it. I copied about 500 photos onto mine in just a few seconds. Up to that point she was using some kind of insta-pay and had the NFC turned on without the "are you sure you want to do this" prompt. She turned the NFC off after that.

When I first saw at a gas station you could swipe a plastic card over a reader and get a discount I started thinking about how someone could get my info. I started using foil to wrap my cards inside my wallet. Nowdays they sell hack resistant wallets.

A neighbor has auto start vehicles where they can start up their vehicle using the wifi in it. Bad idea. Very convenient yes, for the e-klepto.

Now one cool hack I read about recently is how to extend the range of your older key fob that only worked a few feet away. Grab the key with a finger turn and face the automobile with the key between your fingers and it has turned your body into an antenna. Your fob that was good up to 3 feet away is now good for as much as 100……
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-04-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    so it`s not `Gigantic Pink Elephant` then?
    I feel cheated now
    Nope... it is Gross Pickled Eel
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

intel is dead apple cpus and amd are winning
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    intel is dead apple cpus and amd are winning
    Intel and AMD leap frog back and forth on processors as they have been for decades. Apple CPUs will do ok because people buy Apple stuff not because they are better or not compared to AMD/Intel but with Apples budget they should be able to compete well enough.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

+

Since chip lithography is going toward 0.9nm // good thing we have all those alien spacecraft to harvest parts off of,
    so we can add some antimatter to the chip 'nm process'

no real need to overclock for AI software @ 10.24Ghz, right
    Last edited by orbital; 04-04-2021 at 04:13 PM. Reason: word

Lol.

No discussion of modern technology would be complete without this schematic.

the m1 smokes intel cpus in laptops
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Lol.

No discussion of modern technology would be complete without this schematic.
    That guy we hired to open and close the switch really fast is slacking.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I purchased one of these today.

It's not high-tech, but it's definitely modern tech. Stores in a closet. Travels in a mini van, is five ladders in one, has a 375lb per side rating when utilized as a step-ladder, 41 positions, and a 26 foot reach.

We used it today to access a dimmer switch pack.

Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

im terrified of heights

Disregard

Not worth getting into
    Last edited by RWT1405; 04-08-2021 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Disregard
    In a SHTF scenario, the best of plans will go to sh*t, so Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) is the best plan

Modern ladders are cool.

Meanwhile gravity is still not your friend if you fall off one.

true story today while instaaling smoke alarm i was afraid to fall off foot stool lol

Modern ladders are cool.

Meanwhile gravity is still not your friend if you fall off one.
    I'm not afraid of falling. It's when the falling stops that scares me.
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

injury due to: "Failure to fly" sucks, gravity`s a real downer, curse Newton for inventing it!

Like Chauncey said, it's not the fall but that rapid deceleration at the end!

In a remember when discussion at work today we were remembering when we were hooked on a personal computer. I remember talking with a lady while she typed and she has misspelled a word. She highlighted it and hit the back key and the word was gone. I said "woah, woah, woah what just happened?" She chuckled and said "pretty neat, huh?" A few minutes later she highlighted a sentence, cut it and pasted it elsewhere.

That was it for me. After re-writing countless reports by hand because I left out a word or decided a sentence would be better somewhere else…… back then it was called a word processor. Later on I learned it remembered stuff way better than I do.
    The word processor really made a big impact on my life.

In a remember when discussion at work today we were remembering when we were hooked on a personal computer. I remember talking with a lady while she typed and she has misspelled a word. She highlighted it and hit the back key and the word was gone. I said "woah, woah, woah what just happened?" She chuckled and said "pretty neat, huh?" A few minutes later she highlighted a sentence, cut it and pasted it elsewhere.

That was it for me. After re-writing countless reports by hand because I left out a word or decided a sentence would be better somewhere else…… back then it was called a word processor. Later on I learned it remembered stuff way better than I do.
    The word processor really made a big impact on my life.
    I remember going to school and working overtime and having a Commodore 128 with a printer and word processing program saved me countless hours of time as using a regular typewriter and making mistakes having to get thoughts and everything right or type a whole page over again. I figure I saved an hour for every assignment and was working long hours barely getting enough sleep as it was.

Can anyone say... "Quick Brown Fox"?

That and "Mavis Bacon Teaches Typing!"
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Can anyone say... "Quick Brown Fox"?

That and "Mavis Bacon Teaches Typing!"

I remember doing typing and shorthand and having to practice that for Hours!

Mavis had a typing game for kids (sticky bear typing?) that helped me learn to use all four fingers instead of "donk, donk, donk" murdering keys using a stabbing motion with one finger on my dominant hand.
    I can close my eyes and type faster with fewer errors but for whatever reason I still watch the screen. I think it's because of switching from one computer to another pretty often instead of using the same keyboard all of the time.

My mom had this super marvelous, super small memory type writer called "mag card machine" in the 1970's that used an early version of the floppy disk. It was only 3 feet tall and 1 foot wide and had no physical memory aside from what that little floppy could hold. There was no screen so it typed on paper like a conventional machine but also stored the document to be "printed" instead of "xerox'd" so it printed in black like the original instead of a smeared up purple document. That was super-pro back then.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast