7.2 Volt 0.55 A lamp for 6 D cells flashlight

thala

Newly Enlightened
Hi thanks for accepting.

Could you please suggest me any online sources ( better in Europe)for replacement 7.2 V 0.55A lamp or similar for my 6 D national Panasonic ?

thanks
Thala

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site.
The bulb you seek is a KPR118 for a krypton or a PR18 for pre-krypton era bulb.
Where to buy? I'm on the US side of the pond so perhaps others on your side can suggest somewhere.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will want to be careful. Six fresh 'D' cells will push close to nine volts. That's about 25% over voltage for a 7.2v bulb. If it doesn't instaflash, it will definitely have a reduced life span.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In other words thala, a regular (new) D battery says 1.5 volts on the side, which it has while not being used. However when something like a flashlight starts to draw electricity from it the voltage it provides is 1.2 volts. Take 1.2 times 6 new batteries in a straight line hooked to one another and you get 7.2 volts.

thala

Newly Enlightened
thanks everybody for the help.
already I tried 6 D CELL Maglites bulbs (Hong Kong made) and it works. on the other hand before to place an order of new bulbs, I found out that Makita bulb ( Japan made) had the same specification in terms of V & A but there is no description if it is Krypton. thats why I am asking are all 7,2 V 0,55 A bulbs Krypton?

thanks in advance for your valuable information

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Makita bulb MK-A-90261 is a xenon bulb.

EB709-F32-9-C83-4-A70-BAE7-48-DCD8-D2-C4-B9.jpg

Even better.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks everybody for the help.
already I tried 6 D CELL Maglites bulbs (Hong Kong made) and it works. on the other hand before to place an order of new bulbs, I found out that Makita bulb ( Japan made) had the same specification in terms of V & A but there is no description if it is Krypton. thats why I am asking are all 7,2 V 0,55 A bulbs Krypton?

thanks in advance for your valuable information

Xenon bulbs are probably going to perform best. I would recommend the old Maglite PR xenon bulbs (not the newer bi-pin type) over the krypton bulbs, if you can find them.

thala

Newly Enlightened
yes you have right the above are 18 V.
the suitable code of bulb is 7,2 V 0,55 A is 192242-1. I am wondering if they are xenon as well?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Xenon bulbs are probably going to perform best. I would recommend the old Maglite PR xenon bulbs (not the newer bi-pin type) over the krypton bulbs, if you can find them.

Whatever happened to the old mag halogen bulbs? They were barrel-shaped with a little curly tip...

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that voltage drop occur with both carbon zinc and alkaline cells?

In general, alkalines work better than carbon zinc under same current draw.
Older time when there were no choice for alkaline, current draw of lamps were less and for higher current brighter bulb, rechargeable (NiCad or lead acid) were the good but expensive option.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever happened to the old mag halogen bulbs? They were barrel-shaped with a little curly tip...

The only Mag halogen bulb that I know of is bi-pin type for the Mag Charger. There were a lot of aftermarket halogen PR based bulbs you could use in Mags, but halogens run hotter than the Mag xenon bulbs, which is why the Mag Charger was designed to handle the extra heat.

thala

Newly Enlightened
at least for my flashlight manufacturer instructions point out not to use Nicd because probably the contacts would be affected by corrosion so I followed the alkaline D solution

broadgage

Enlightened
Live and learn.

Does that voltage drop occur with both carbon zinc and alkaline cells?

Yes, but tends to be worse with zinc carbon, which is one reason why alkaline cells are often used in preference to zinc carbon.
Voltage drop is rather variable, but in general flashlight bulbs are designed for about 1.2 volts per cell.
Some suppliers dont state a voltage but simply give the number of cells intended to be used.

Bulbs for 5 cells are often rated at 5.95 volts, which is almost the same thing as 6 volts, but avoids confusion with 6 volt radio panel bulbs or with bulbs for 6 volt dry batteries which are 4.75 or 4.8 volts.

Large cells or multiple cells in paralel tend to have slightly higher on-load voltages. A paralel pair of 6 volt lantern batteries wil have a slightly higher voltage in use than a single battery. A bulb intended for a single 6 volt lantern battery was typically rated at 4.75 volts, a bulb intended for two such batteries was often 5.4 volts.