Micro-lite GI JR. flashlight

technodestructo

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I am new here so I apologize if this thread is redundant and already exists. I like to collect small and obscure flashlights and recently ran across one that I have never seen. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had information on a micro-lite GI JR? ie when they were made, how many, or anything else interesting about them. I appreciate your guys' time and patience as I learn more about navigating and posting here.

Thanks

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nice find techno-destructo. Welcome to CPF.
I surmize your user name means you specialize in voiding warranties?

Anyway, the GI Jr were actually what made micro-Lite a viable company. It is thought they began in 1929 or 30 making 2aa pen lights and 1aa "lipstick" lights but in 1943 made GI Jr lights for the military and after the war began making novelty lights like squeeze lights shaped like a train or "Butch the dog" key chain lights using N cells for fuel. The novelty light idea was what attracted Rayovac to buy the company but in 1957 decided to stop production due to lack of profit.

They did a light called Cowboy Jim where you pulled on a pistol attached to the light by a cord that lit his nose, or a push button rabbit head light you attached to a shirt, a lucky 4 leaf clover keychain light.

Info from a book called Collecting Flashlights by Stuart Schneider in 1996

technodestructo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks bykfixer, your posts are always very informative. I'd like to have gotten my hands on one but I was outbid while at work. I apologize for the delay in posting as it's been really hectic at the techno house as of late. My name was something that I came up with YEARS ago and have used it since, although I do happen to void warranties on all sorts of electronics and such, so it fits quite well :laughing:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Keep at it td. You'll either come across a buy it now at a decent price or will win a bid at some point.
I went for a Tom Thumb light binge at one point trying to add mini flashlights like the 1aa by Fulton and others and kept getting out bid at the last second. I wound up with a few nice ones and jacked up a few bids to cause the person who outbid me to pay way more than it was worth.
If Rayovac was involved in the production there are probably lots of Jr's out there to be had.