My PC's OS is Springtime Fresh

guncollector

Enlightened
My PC\'s OS is Springtime Fresh

Well, my Dell desktop was beginning to "feel under the weather".

Corrupted registries, driver problems, subsequent hardware-related problem as a result, the list goes one. While it was running ok, it really was "limping" along. And as an added bonus, my "System Restore" utility was busted--so if things really went South...I was up it without a paddle.

So, after repeated attempts to repair my system with Dell Tech support, I decided it was time for a complete OS Reinstallation.

As it turns out, I also just happened across this article on MSN's Tech & Gadgets site entitled How to Keep Your OS Springtime Fresh, by Tom Mainelli.

So, today I reformatted my harddrive, reinstalled my Windows XP, reinstalled all my Dell software, reinstalled all my software, and voila 5.5 hours later, my PC is Springtime Fresh.

For those who've been putting off the inevitable, its not nearly as painful as it first seems. It's just that first step of no return when you reformat the harddrive that's the hardest to take. I tell you, Go For It! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

shabbasuraj

Newly Enlightened
Re: My PC\'s OS is Springtime Fresh

i love these touching M$ stories...

(read: switch over to OS X or Linux and bannish Bill G. from your life, and thus you can feel SPRING TIME FRESH year round...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

guncollector

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
(read: switch over to OS X or Linux and bannish Bill G. from your life, and thus you can feel SPRING TIME FRESH year round...)

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, if I only could.

However, my house is full of PC's, my workplace is full of PC's, and 9 out of 10 people (be is business or personal) I know use PC's--and Billy G's software. So unfortunately, for me its a matter of compatibility and convenience of being able to pop in an USB key and be "up and running" anywhere I am.

Why the hell didn't Job & Co. just license out the better OS to begin with?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then Billy Boy would have done the 'Exterminate the Threat' scenario with Apple.

What you can do, is add a second hdd for Linux, and install Mandrake or SuSE. You can always try MandrakeMove or Knoppix, as both are Live CDs.

I dual boot Mandrake and Win98SE (at the moment).

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to do the same myself every 6 months. Used a winnt.sif on a floppy to automate the install then would install office, visio, all the IE updates and such. Finally did a dual boot with linux myself, started out on redhat then bought a bigger hdd and loaded it with slackware. I can open 99% of windows files with no problem and haven't had to reinstall anything since.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
DVD+RWs are great for backing up data and archiving.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got one at computer show a while back. Only $111, so they're really not very expensive anymore.

I also backup a separate directory with sub directories that I created for all of the various program install files like Adobe Acrobat, ACDSee, etc. This way when I do a clean install, I don't have to download a lot of stuff off the internet. Sometimes the latest versions aren't better either.