YouTube "Flashlight Reviewers"

WebHobbit

Enlightened
You all ever notice how it seems like MOST Flashlight Reviewers on YouTube are just AWFUL? Of course there are a handful of standout great ones but it seems like the majority are just terrible. It's like they didn't bother to do any research whatsoever. They use the terminology wrong....they are vague and just Not Helpful. And the most infuriating part is it seems like in many cases the production values and over all slickness of the presentation is inversely proportionate to the useful information given!

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
Marshall on Going Gear was the best and all of my flashlights came from them. Unfortunately he is no longer with us.......very sad.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
You all ever notice how it seems like MOST Flashlight Reviewers on YouTube are just AWFUL? Of course there are a handful of standout great ones but it seems like the majority are just terrible. It's like they didn't bother to do any research whatsoever. They use the terminology wrong....they are vague and just Not Helpful. And the most infuriating part is it seems like in many cases the production values and over all slickness of the presentation is inversely proportionate to the useful information given!

Outside of Advanced Knife Bro's videos I agree with you completely and why I have pretty well given up on watching reviews. I primarily only buy Fenix anymore so usually don't care about a beforehand review as I can tell what it'll be like from their specs. If I do watch a video it's only to see if there are beamshots.

Marshall on Going Gear was the best and all of my flashlights came from them. Unfortunately he is no longer with us.......very sad.

Marshall had some really good videos for sure, especially if you wanted a thorough review without being overly technically. I would have liked to have seen his thoughts on some of these new pocket rockers like the D4 series, the FW3A, etc.

Also the reviewer who set the bar for all other reviewers is definitely Selfbuilt but unfortunately he no longer does reviews.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
I know, right? I mean, some of them even call it a "torch", despite it clearly saying 'FLASHLIGHT' on the box. Talk about getting your terminology mixed up, eh! :p

On a serious note, though - Awful in what way?
It would firstly depend what you're looking to get from the review, and whether you've picked a reviewer whose target audience includes people like you.
It would secondly depend what light is being reviewed, and whether that is also marketed toward people like you.

As an example, the Nitecore TM10K. It has "10,000 Lumens!" written on the side, including an exclamation mark!
Is that really the sort of thing that would wow and impress you, do you think.... or is it more for the sort of people who are browsing Tacticool.com or a camping shop, looking for "a powerful torch"?
Would you therefore expect to see that on a channel that primarily deals with custom Anduril lights that cost more than my car?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, right? I mean, some of them even call it a "torch", despite it clearly saying 'FLASHLIGHT' on the box. Talk about getting your terminology mixed up, eh! :p

On a serious note, though - Awful in what way?
It would firstly depend what you're looking to get from the review, and whether you've picked a reviewer whose target audience includes people like you.
It would secondly depend what light is being reviewed, and whether that is also marketed toward people like you.

As an example, the Nitecore TM10K. It has "10,000 Lumens!" written on the side, including an exclamation mark!
Is that really the sort of thing that would wow and impress you, do you think.... or is it more for the sort of people who are browsing Tacticool.com or a camping shop, looking for "a powerful torch"?
Would you therefore expect to see that on a channel that primarily deals with custom Anduril lights that cost more than my car?

Why?

Why must there be any conditions on what is considered a "Good review" of anything, flashlights just being what we like here? I have come across those "awful" reviews and yes, they truly were awful because they provided almost zero information other than "here is light, see it is bright when shined into camera lens. I don't like it because it doesn't do these other things that I think it should do even though it clearly says exactly what it does."

Is there a target audience for that?
The "It has a great UI!" but then doesn't even bother to show what it is, I have seen too often. Beamshots against a white wall in the dark, two feet away are not things I am interested in but there are people who are interested in those things and that is okay. But using a camera poorly and not even understanding the terminology within the interest of the community...well...you shouldn't expect much. Maybe this will just motivate me to do my own videos. Who knows ...

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

I say start up your own review page. See how well you do. It's an easy change. Make videos the way you want them made and see what kind of reception you get. May be a fun hobby for ya!

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
Why must there be any conditions on what is considered a "Good review" of anything, flashlights just being what we like here?
Because if it achieves the aims of the reviewer and meets the expectations of their audience, then it's good. That's just how it goes.
It might not suit your needs, but you're probably not their target audience any more than you are for a pipeline inspection lecture, or for a kid's cartoon.

Is there a target audience for that?
If the video has any likes, then yes there is.

But using a camera poorly and not even understanding the terminology within the interest of the community...well...you shouldn't expect much.
Presumably every car reviewer who is not themselves an automotive design engineer, and thus not part of that 'community' with all the exacting technical terminology to hand, is equally invalid, then?
Did you ever consider that these reviewers are not actually part of 'the community' as you define it, so don't feel the need to do their things the way you want them to?

Maybe this will just motivate me to do my own videos. Who knows ...
You should.
Lead by example, show them how it's done... or rather just target the audience that they don't. Fill the gap, instead of getting elitist about something they clearly have no interest in.

Worth noting that high end camera kit is not cheap, but I've seen plenty of reviewers start using a mobile phone and eventually build themselves up to professional studios with very high quality presentations.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I dunno it seems like it would be easier to point to an example of the kind of info I'd like to see in reviews easier than calling out all the ones I don't like. For the record as someone mentioned earlier the stuff by Advanced Knife Bro is a great example of a really good informative (and amusing) way to do a video review of a flashlight. I guess some of these YT people trigger some of my pet peeves like calling ALL lights "tactical lights".....of course some manufacturer's do this too. The term is over used anymore almost to the point of it being meaningless. A baseline for a light being "tactical" would at lease mean it has a rear mounted switch that is capable of momentary on. Not that I require a tactical light for all my needs. I carry a ZebraLight as EDC and it is decidedly NOT tactical.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
I guess some of these YT people trigger some of my pet peeves like calling ALL lights "tactical lights".....of course some manufacturer's do this too. The term is over used anymore almost to the point of it being meaningless. A baseline for a light being "tactical" would at lease mean it has a rear mounted switch that is capable of momentary on. Not that I require a tactical light for all my needs. I carry a ZebraLight as EDC and it is decidedly NOT tactical.
It was meaningless the moment it was introduced. It's purely for marketing, as per other threads already exploring this. If it were otherwise, the cheap plastic 3xAAA tailswitched thing I got given at work would be a 'tactical' torch... and the hi-viz colour it comes in immediately contradicts such an idea.

But again, what other people choose to do, what they look for in a light (and thus focus on in their review) and how they choose (or are limited) to present that review is just their thing. That doesn't make it bad... As is, of all the fancy, detailed, professional reviewers who cover all the techie things about the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 that you would look for, the only one that actually covered the details I wanted to know was actually some Aussie bloke shooting on his phone!

If it's not what you were looking for, just find someone else or do your own.
It's like anything - There will be surface users, there will be geeks, enthusiasts and ultra-über-techie-detail-a-holics. If we all wanted the same things in life, this would be the Maglite Forum!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If I want to be entertained I may watch a youtube video. If I want knowledge I read reviews.

To me the only value of a youtube video is those how to kind where actually seeing something done by someone is more informative than written instructions.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt is a very entertaining reviewer these days. Marshall and Selfbuilt were my favorite. There are other reviewers who are ok but I subscribe to Matt. One thing that I don't like is reviewers who ask you to like and subscribe before the review begins. That's like asking for a tip first thing. No class.
I've noticed lately when a light gets my attention and I try to find a review, all the ones I find are non English.
Less and less English speaking reviewers out there.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
One thing that I don't like is reviewers who ask you to like and subscribe before the review begins. That's like asking for a tip first thing. No class.
That's because so many people don't watch to the end and generally just skip through the video. Happens in review vids of all things. It's like having a meal, but then ordering a dessert and then skipping out the door the instant your waiter's back is turned.
I guess class and courtesy go both ways...

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you should do some reviews and let others critique them then?

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that 75 percent of them are free reviews ( in exchange for the lights).

Nothing beats a, I just spent my money, and this is the best thing since sliced bread review.