How do I tell if my battery is dead?

Racefan55

Newly Enlightened
I have a NEBO slyde that has a rechargeable 18650 battery. When I plugged it in to recharge it last night it discharged the battery & now it's dead. Could it be that the battery life span is done & I need to replace it or is it likely a problem with the light?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the battery installed in the proper direction? Do you have Any other lights that use that battery or a standalone charger you can try it in? Got a battery tester to see if it's completely dead? Does it have a protection circuit?

Racefan55

Newly Enlightened
Is the battery installed in the proper direction? Do you have Any other lights that use that battery or a standalone charger you can try it in? Got a battery tester to see if it's completely dead? Does it have a protection circuit?
The battery is the the right direction. It charges in the light & was never out.-no other lights with that batt.
I have a multi meter I could test it with. NEBO says it has over/under charge protection built in.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Li-Ion are "empty" long before getting down anywhere near zero voltage, which suggests perhaps a tripped (or damaged) protection circuit

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
0.00 mans open circuit, pcb is triped, try charging it in another charger, if it fails, either rip off protection circuit, or toss the cell.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
0.00 mans open circuit, pcb is triped, try charging it in another charger, if it fails, either rip off protection circuit, or toss the cell.

No, that's incorrect since some quality chargers won't reset the PCB, as a rule.

Nose to nose with a fully charged cell and then short the negatives with a wire.

If that doesn't work, strip the cell down.

Chris