KL1 and ARC LSH

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Is the Arc LSH worth buying if I already have a KL1 on an E1e body? I don't use it for much other than kicking around the house at night.

Also, is Surefire still making the KL1 with a red LED?

Thanks,
Wick

W4DIZ

Enlightened
I find that my Arcs have a whiter tint than my KL1.I don't like the blue tint of the KL1.The Arc ls is also smaller the the e1e kl1 combo.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up to you. The LSH will be smaller, whiter, brighter, and have more throw. E1/KL1 is fine for getting around the house, though. If that's all you're going to use it for--maybe not. I used a KL1 on a E2e body for over a year, with no complaints (but had no qualms about buying something newer and better, either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
If you're actually going to carry it all the time, then I'd say it's definitely worth it.
My suggestion-buy a second. I think Arc still has some in stock. I've bought two, and have seen a couple more. All of them much better than a stock KL1, and well worth $50.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Like W4DIZ, my Arcs are whiter than my KL1, but my KL1 tends towards green, not blue. The KL1/E1E is great, but definitely not as small as LSH, especially with the twistie.

And once you drop in a resistor, a la gadget-lover's mod, you even have two levels. This would be great for you, Wick, because I find both lights a little bright for knocking around the house. You'll find a lower level on the LSH will do just great, and give you better runtime on the 123 in your torch.

So, get the LS, and a twistie, too. It makes a great little EDC, as well as around the house light!

daloosh

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add more to is, the LSH would have a brighter hotspot compared to the KL1. Also while you can use the KL1 with either 2 or 3 x123 cells, you can use the LSH with 2AAs on the AA TSP. As Owen says, if all you're gonna use it for is getting around the house, etc, then maybe LSH might be too similar in terms of function. Else if you're more of a AA person, then this is a feature you could possibly consider. But then again, as a flashaholic, how could you pass up such a good deal on the LSH while Peter has it in stock and on sale?? Buy em Both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I don't "need" an Arc LSH, I just want one. I've wanted one for a long time but already owning a KL1 has kept me from buying one. I didn't realize it was smaller and brighter than the KL1, just a few more reasons to buy one.

Now the decission of which one to get. LSH-P, LSH-S, or take my chances on a second. I keep reading the seconds are great but it sounds like you can't be gaurenteed of an LSH, I really don;t want a low dome. I notice the LSH-P is listed at putting out aprox 5 lumens more than the Standard model. Is the extra couple lumes worth $50? Is it worth $100 over a second?

Thanks,
Wick

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC lumens must be approximately doubled for the difference to be noticeable. If that's correct it would be similar to audio where a doubling of power is needed for just a noticeable increase in preceived loudness.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
An LSH-S with a nice new LED soldered in can make it as good or better than an LSH-P. The standard stock LED seems to be an M or N bin. A Q or R bin 1 watt or a T binned LuxIII willl make quite a difference. I know because I did one.

Daniel

sidespill

Enlightened
if you don't need one and just want one. then by all means grab one. if you are getting one because you're looking for different performance then don't bother because both of them can be modded/tweaked to perform better than the other. i have both and love both.