First test of my drone mounted lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
Ive mentioned my drone lighting project using EDC flashlights. It finally warmed up enough to fly last night to test out a few lights. Here is the video of the project thus far. If you have suggestions for other light weight and high output lights (that dont step down after a few seconds) Please recommend them for me to try.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
light weight and high output lights (that dont step down after a few seconds)

Physics is not your friend with these requirements.

If you could manage coolant and a radiator (or heatpipes or LEDs affixed to special heatsinks beneath the props) to take advantage of the significant airflow from the props, you could possibly get more sustained lumens, but that would be a significant design effort and potentially impact flight performance.

hsa

Enlightened
Great video. One of the most interesting projects I've seen using flashlights. You have a good drone and a good camera there. It will be interesting to see the difference once the snow cover is gone since it offers a lot of contrast. It takes a lot of light to be useful, it seems, and a trained eye I'm sure for the search and rescue part. Please keep posting with updates.

archimedes

Flashaholic
A brief note to the OP ....

It is useful to try to keep most posts about one particular project in a single thread.

That helps keep everyone who is interested fully up-to-date as things progress, as well as improves the organization for the forum as a whole, and reduces any need to later merge threads.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How about taking a smaller/lighter light with less output and 3D printing a dome type magnifier lens?

Here's my point. I bought a $4 plastic 5 lumen light by Coast a few years back thnking it would be enough to light my darkened office if the lights go out or darkened stairs in a fire.

DC28-F262-CAD3-45-D6-9467-F084-A05-E3045.jpg

It has a dome lens.

F8867221-42-E4-42-EF-B74-F-AA48-A8-C1-DB98.jpg

That's 5 only lumens……5
It puts out light like it's much brighter than 5 lumens.

Perhaps something that slides over the tip of one of your smaller lights you already have.

Last edited:

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Interesting project. Are the flashlights aligned to overlap their hot spots on the ground, or could they be set to spread out a little so as to use more of the camera's field of view? It would be interesting to see what a headlamp-style optic would do, though it might be too floody at higher altitudes. Right-angle headlamps wouldn't fit the present brackets. The advantage with using flashlights is that they are pretty simple when they fail or need recharging, and can be rugged. But I think the ultimate solution here will be a customized lighting pod, trading all that extra aluminum for more battery power to better match the drone's endurance. It occurs to me that PWM here would be very undesirable, as you wouldn't want motion on the ground to be confused with flickering light source.

Bill

nbp

Flashaholic

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
CPF has strict rules about forum discussion of potentially illegal activities.

Can I do a search and rescue without a Part 107 License?

Do you own a jump to conclusions mat??? :crackup:

You will want to know that NOBODY has a part 107 license. Such a thing does not exist.

Once a person passes the part 107 exam and files with the FAA, they are issued a CERTIFICATE only. that must be renewed every 2 years.

What is the CPF policy on making baseless assumptions???

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
Interesting project. Are the flashlights aligned to overlap their hot spots on the ground, or could they be set to spread out a little so as to use more of the camera's field of view? It would be interesting to see what a headlamp-style optic would do, though it might be too floody at higher altitudes. Right-angle headlamps wouldn't fit the present brackets. The advantage with using flashlights is that they are pretty simple when they fail or need recharging, and can be rugged. But I think the ultimate solution here will be a customized lighting pod, trading all that extra aluminum for more battery power to better match the drone's endurance. It occurs to me that PWM here would be very undesirable, as you wouldn't want motion on the ground to be confused with flickering light source.

Bill

Yes the next version Im designing will have a 6 degree offset between the two lings spreading the two hot spots away from one another to spread out the beam foor print . I did mention that in the video.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the next version Im designing will have a 6 degree offset between the two lings spreading the two hot spots away from one another to spread out the beam foor print . I did mention that in the video.

You will lose up to 41% of your beam distance if the beams do not coincide.

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
You will lose up to 41% of your beam distance if the beams do not coincide.

That is good to know. I will put it to the test once I make the revised 3D printed part to angle the beams apart. What is this value (41%) based on?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A citizen who comes on a forum asking for advice on a kluge attachment to attach a hobby flashlight on a drone is probably not what FAA accepts for SAR. If OP had just asked help on attaching a flashlight on a drone without mentioning engaging in SAR activities in OP's previous post, CPF would not be culpable in the highly unlikely event litigation is triggered, thinking. I could be wrong.

Stay Sharp

Newly Enlightened
I could be wrong.

Yes, I suggest that is exactly the case. Thanks for all the helpful content provided thus far. It may be helpful if the offended and triggered party, no longer rushes back to read this thread to complain. Thanks. :thumbsup:

And based on the fact that the complainer wrote about the FAA accepting SAR tells me they know nothing of the subject matter in any way. The same as when they mistakenly posted that people get a part 107 "License" when no such thing exists. I dont think this is the thread for the perpetually offended. But thanks for trying. :laughing:

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've asked the CPF Transportation Lighting experts to take a look at concerns raised here in this thread.

Meanwhile, seeing posts with a lot of "you" and "your" in it, suggests the opposite of depersonalizing the issues to me :thinking:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.