VME + M31 on EDCL1-T?

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
Hi friends -

I have an EDCL1-T; I really like the gas pedal switch and the form factor, but the tint is quite green. As best I can tell from reading around, it looks like I should be able to put an M31 219b in a VME head, and use that as a replacement head on the EDCL1-T. Can anyone confirm that it works, and that the gas pedal operation is retained?

Thanks!

(Edit: yes, there's an MDC 1CR123 Neutral in my shopping cart, too. :) )

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have a M31 on the way. I will try it if it ever gets here. USPS doesn't even have tracking on my orders, just says late, but is still on way. I tried Bodyguard head on EDCL1-T. It kind of worked, but actually strobed first, went constant, and then constant high, so it did not work properly. I have a 2 cell drop-in in my VME head now (Sportac I think), and it did light up, but it was one mode.

lumensbadger

Newly Enlightened
I have the Malkoff side of the required hardware but am still waiting for the EDCL1-T to show up on my doorstep.

Will engage in couple of experiments once all pieces are assembled:

1) EDCL1-T running off of a Keeppower 700mAh 4A 16340.
2) EDCL2-T head on above setup.
3) Malkoff M31 in VME on the EDCL1-T body running off of a CR123 - two stage using the gaspedal?
4) Malkoff M61 in VME on the EDCL1-T body running off of the above further specified Keeppower 16340 - two stage?
5) Malkoff M61 in VME on the EDCL2-T body running off of a Keeppower 16650 - two stage?

We do have engaged on a rather expensive endeavor with this one...

Last edited:

lumensbadger

Newly Enlightened
I am totally with you on that one.

My wife - or should I say our wives - have, however, a totally different perspective on such things.

What ever. For science!

Last edited:

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
Will engage in couple of experiments once all pieces are assembled

Amazing; thanks!

We do have engaged on a rather expensive endeavor with this one...

Good point. I've had the EDCL1-T for a while, so forgot about the cost. It won't exactly be a cheap lego 😂

That said, the VME heads are now out of stock, so I have to wait until they're back in stock to be able to try it.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I put my M31 on the Surefire EDCL1-T and it was pretty much one mode. I think there may have been a slight rise in lumens when pressed hard. The Surefire head has something extra going on in there it seems, to make it work the way it does.

lumensbadger

Newly Enlightened
Yes, thanks for checking that out for us.

Apparently, the new gaspedal tail cap only engages an electronic trigger inside the head that switches the modes instead of acting as a resistor that directly regulates the current flowing to the head.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Not an edcl1t but works with a lx2 m31LL 219 and dummy spacer. Probably like 5-10 lumen low mode.

26tgAWN_d.webp

Last edited:

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
Not an edcl1t but works with a lx2 m31LL 219 and dummy spacer. Probably like 5-10 lumen low mode.

Interesting; thanks!

Posted my findings inside the main EDCL1-T thread post #547.

3) The Malkoff M31 (inside a VME) on a CR123 does not show any real visible difference in output. No matter whether the gaspedal switch is pushed to low or high. The same happens with a Malkoff M61 run off of the 16340.Good high output, but no low setting.

That's solidly confirmed, then, between you and Dicaeopolis. Thanks for testing it, and for also testing with the M61!