short protected 18650 needed

turbodog

Flashaholic
Had some 'aw' protected 18650 cells from hds. They are all gone, and I am looking for a replacement.

Need to be protected and short/thin as possible.

Bought a batch of panasonic but the button top and triple shrink wrap make them too large to fit.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck. One option is to roll your own with purchased PCBs and copper conductive tape. Another is to have them custom made by AA Portable Power Corp, or possibly vendors such as IMRBatteries/Liion Wholesale/et al. There is always LiFePO4 and frequent changeouts :)

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650. 18mm in diameter. 65mm in length. 0 round. A PCB adds at least 1.5mm in length. Either leave the adhesive conductive tape exposed at the positive (not recommened), or cap it with a thin layer of conductive epoxy or a small magnet. That is the best you can hope for.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The old 'aw' cells from hds were just right. shorter than other protected cells. shrink wrap that was thin.

:(

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
tenergy used to make flat top protected 2600, the top was sticking enough to have a contact in series, i used them for solarforce l900. those were the shortest protected 18650 i've seen, that was 7 or so year sago, eagletac were short too, according to some posters here, but i never used them personally. this question pops up every couple of years, use search, you may find other options,

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you are always able to start with a fresh cell. And given the problems with parasitic drain and HDS... I don't trust the light's protection.