What is the most reliable AAA keychain light?

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Hi All:

I have been searching for a AAA keychain light that is super reliable. I'm looking for something that can be used for years and always turns on when needed. I was close to getting the stainless K18 v2019 but not convinced it's reliable enough.
I'd prefer a clicky for ease of one-handed use and would love it to have a strobe feature.

Any thoughts? Thank you kindly in advance!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clicky and complex electronics will take the reliability factor down a few notches.
There are a few threads on tough AAA lights.
The most reliable are twisties with potted electronics.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak would also be my choice.

Not much to go awry with McGizmo Sapphire either.

As others have noted, clicky and strobe will reduce reliability.

Last edited:

Qship1996

Enlightened
I have carried a Surefire Titan on my car keychain for about 6 years daily now, other than some cosmetic wear from rubbing against the keys, it operates flawlessly- despite being dropped dozens of times on pavement.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always thought that the most reliable 1xAAA light would be a pair of 1xAAA lights. ;)
I see you follow the mantra "Two is one, and one is none!"

I have been EDCing a Sofirn C01S for a while without any problems, and really like the light. Comes with an O-ring for a keychain/lanyard, and the tailcap has space for a small magnet and a trit tube.

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All:
I appreciate all of the suggestions.
I like The Peak Eiger but first anyone know if the option with the momentary push button can still be carried on a keychain or does that choice preclude keychain carry?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The momentary switch option replaces the keychain attachment. You can get a pocket clip from Darksucks that fits under the switch, then drill a hole in the clip, add a split ring and you're all set.

Vemice

Enlightened
I should also throw in the Prometheus Beta. They are really well made, especially the Titanium that are lovingly made in limited quantities in the US (as I understand it). I elected to add the clip rather than the keychain ring.
Also shown FYI are a Peak Eiger (raw aluminum Mule) and the McGizmo Sapphire.

naKRHTgl.jpg

Pe8OZQdl.jpg

Last edited:

akula88

Enlightened
I've been using Jetbeam Jet-U for two years now. I have dropped this unit many times, and is either carried on my man-bag or on my front-pocket.
This unit replaced my six-year-old Fenix L0D.

HxjxoD0.jpg

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've been using Jetbeam Jet-U for two years now....

Currently carrying a Jet-U also, modified with a phenomenal emitter (JetUsolis) and it has been excellent for EDC.

Still, I wouldn't consider it in the same reliability class as the Peak (especially in steel) , though.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked google what factors are used to define reliability of LED lights:

LED Systems Reliability

"Failure of electrolytic or film capacitors is a leading cause of driver failure"

types of reliability failures:
CXDoWRwl.png

from this info it seems potting is not a primary variable to reliability. The main failure seems to be a component failure in the driver, specifically, the capacitors in the power supply.

But if potting is an important feature, the black and green body colors of the 2020 AAA Sofirn C01 are potted.

HDS lights are potted, they recently changed sources for their power supply. They had several power supply failures in a batch of lights a couple of years ago. All fixed for free under warranty.

So, I will add that reliability can mean the longevity of the company, for warranty, and the availability of replacement drivers, over the long term.

but for an AAA light, the cost of replacing the whole light is similar to the cost of just a driver for other lights.. so, I would say, choose whatever AAA light has the features you want. If the light dies, buy another light, or hope for warranty service options.

In my experience, all my lights are reliable. I have never had one die, for any reason. I have never had a warranty service claim either. (nor do I buy expecting a need for warranty service).

The worst reliability experience I have had is with twisties, that flicker or skip modes. This was caused by too much lubrication, getting onto the pill and interfering with good contact from the end of the body tube.

wiping out the excess lubricant, solved the "reliability" problem.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd currently recommend the Jetbeam U - very small, lightweight, & very nice.

Regarding your reliability question, I've had a Fenix LOD for something like 13 years. It was on my key chain for most of those years and runs just as good today as it ever did. It's all knarled up from countless drops.

The Olight AAA lights used to be great, but the later models were terrible. The head would come off way too easily in your pocket causing the battery to fall out as well. I lost 2 of them. Just had the tail/body on my key chain with no head or batter - just gone. I quit using those and went back to my Fenix LOD for quite a while.

Hope that helped.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd currently recommend the Jetbeam U - very small, lightweight, & very nice.

several posts agree with your preference. its a great choice for people that like a twisty with Mode Memory

I prefer no memory
so
I EDC a Lumintop Tool most often, primarily used on Medium
(clicky, 5 lumen minimum, 30 lumen medium)

as an alternative that has a sublumen option, (for a nightstand/bathroom light),
I also like the Thrunite Ti3
(twisty, 0.2 lumens minimum, 12 lumen medium)

sorry your olights lost their heads, I sent you a PM question about that