Turbo Mode

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Which variable will have a key role in the longevity of my Turbo Mode in my Acebeam Tk18? The variables are, Nominal Capacity, Max Discharge Current, Protected vs Unprotected 18650's.

I am currently using
[FONT=&quot]Titanium Innovations 18650 Battery - 3400mAh 3.7V Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Protected Button Top. My complaint is that Turbo will not function if light is sitting unused for a day or two. All my other modes low, med, and high work but not Turbo. Turbo only works when the above battery mentions is fresh off the charger. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thanks for [/FONT][FONT=&quot] any help.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not familiar with that light but some of the more powerful lights draw so much current from batteries that a protection circuit can interfere with the operation of the light at high current outputs as it can add substantial resistance in the circuit that drops the voltage possibly enough that the step down circuitry in the driver detects it and drops out of turbo. If the light will take an unprotected cell I would try one.
I am thinking Max Discharge Current is your issue.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Battery Junction lists the Titanium Innovations 18650 Battery - 3400mAh 3.7V Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Protected Button Top with a "Max Discharge Current: 4.87A" and "Max Pulse Discharge: 10A."

Acebeam's website
lists the L18 as requiring "10 Amps of current."

I might see if you have a battery rated for 10 Amps continuous (or thereabouts) and see if you have the same problem.

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Battery Junction lists the Titanium Innovations 18650 Battery - 3400mAh 3.7V Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Protected Button Top with a "Max Discharge Current: 4.87A" and "Max Pulse Discharge: 10A."

Acebeam's website
lists the L18 as requiring "10 Amps of current."

I might see if you have a battery rated for 10 Amps continuous (or thereabouts) and see if you have the same problem.

I'll revisit that Acebeam Website, thanks...

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Would it matter if the 10 amp is Protected or Unprotected, would that play a role at all?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it matter if the 10 amp is Protected or Unprotected, would that play a role at all?

Get some quality cells.

Protection circuits aren't precise. For some, they might trip at 8.9A, others might be 10A.

I, too, don't know the specs on your light, so it's tough to say.

My Emisar D4 and D4v2 both pull between 15A-18A on turbo, so protection circuits are verboten...not that I use them anyway.

Chris

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Get some quality cells.

Protection circuits aren't precise. For some, they might trip at 8.9A, others might be 10A.

I, too, don't know the specs on your light, so it's tough to say.

My Emisar D4 and D4v2 both pull between 15A-18A on turbo, so protection circuits are verboten...not that I use them anyway.

Chris

Thanks for your reply and the experience you share. The only 18650's I have are older Eagletec, which are close to 10 years old, and the recent acquired (Protected) Titanium Innovation Cells that the online vendor was pushing. I will be looking for a new source for quality cells.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your reply and the experience you share. The only 18650's I have are older Eagletec, which are close to 10 years old, and the recent acquired (Protected) Titanium Innovation Cells that the online vendor was pushing. I will be looking for a new source for quality cells.

For single cell lights, if you conscientious, I just run naked quality cells from Japan and the best Korea.

LG, Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. Anything that can handle 10A continuous, should be fine unless you're running a monster light that pulls more than 9-10A from the cell.

Chris

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I have two 21700 Acebeam flashlights that both came with Acebeam branded batteries. One has an Acebeam branded/rebranded and protected 20A (IIRC) rated battery and the other a 30A. The 30A flashlight (x10) wouldn't even fire up in ultralow when I attempted 2xCR123's. The Battery Junction link I put in my last post lets you search out different brands of batteries and often lists the specs on "continuous discharge" rating. You might use that as a reference. I have never purchased from them, and I don't know the forum's preferred battery vendors.

If in doubt, you can always just purchase the repackaged and protected Acebeam battery that Acebeam sells for the light while you figure out which brand and type you want to use in it. Their website lists three 18650's, two listed as 10A and one listed as 25A.

Edit: I apologize for linking the wrong flashlight in my earlier post... here is the TK18 (the 10A requirement is listed for all the LED versions):
TK18-6.jpg

Last edited:

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
For single cell lights, if you conscientious, I just run naked quality cells from Japan and the best Korea.

LG, Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. Anything that can handle 10A continuous, should be fine unless you're running a monster light that pulls more than 9-10A from the cell.

Chris

Hello, I just got a couple of Sanyo Button Top 3500mAh 10A cells in the mail which I ordered, and lo and behold, it did the trick. I now have Turbo, which the Cells sustain. Those Titanium Innovations 18650 cells literally lasted only a few seconds before I'd lose Turbo all together.

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
I have two 21700 Acebeam flashlights that both came with Acebeam branded batteries. One has an Acebeam branded/rebranded and protected 20A (IIRC) rated battery and the other a 30A. The 30A flashlight (x10) wouldn't even fire up in ultralow when I attempted 2xCR123's. The Battery Junction link I put in my last post lets you search out different brands of batteries and often lists the specs on "continuous discharge" rating. You might use that as a reference. I have never purchased from them, and I don't know the forum's preferred battery vendors.

If in doubt, you can always just purchase the repackaged and protected Acebeam battery that Acebeam sells for the light while you figure out which brand and type you want to use in it. Their website lists three 18650's, two listed as 10A and one listed as 25A.

Edit: I apologize for linking the wrong flashlight in my earlier post... here is the TK18 (the 10A requirement is listed for all the LED versions):

Thanks for the useful information, for comparison's sake I have the Nichia 219C model. I love the pure white light for inspecting underneath the tractor checking for leaks determining if it's coolant or motor oil.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I just got a couple of Sanyo Button Top 3500mAh 10A cells in the mail which I ordered, and lo and behold, it did the trick. I now have Turbo, which the Cells sustain. Those Titanium Innovations 18650 cells literally lasted only a few seconds before I'd lose Turbo all together.

I'm only here to help and to drink any free beer that you might graciously send my way.

Chris