A sheep hunt to remember - why I like LED lights.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I'm sure many folks out there have their own reason for becoming interested in LED lights. In my case, during a sheep hunt in the Wrangel Mountains in Alaska I got stranded on top of a mountain when bad weather dropped down. I can best describe it as a dark rain cloud dropping down and turning visibility to zero. For almost three days I was on that mountain in total darkness 90 percent of the time fighting the rain and cold trying to stay alive. It didn't help any that my so called water resistant down jacket became soaked. I won't bother you with how I finally got off the mountain - but I DID NOT HAVE ANY LIGHTSOURCE other than a minimag sized flashlight which quickly became worthless. Mind you, this happened 32 years ago.

At one point I vividly remember undoing my belt and having my swiss multitool slide off. It was so dark I couldn't even see my feet and I never did find the leatherman in the rocks. I was paralized to move except for the brief moments I would get a wisp of light (never knowing for sure if it was day or night). I would then stumbled around in the dark, heading towards what I thought was the right direction hoping I wouldn't stumble off a ledge. Anyway, this memory of having zero light has never left me and why I love LED flashlights.

In my search for an emergency light that I can burn for many days to simply walk, I have been using the single LED buld that comes out of a TurtleLite (Dorcey Cool Blue) and put it in a PT 40 4AA Poly. I originally thought the Tutlelight/Dorcey was a good option but found it so focused that it was not good for walking. The same bulb in the PT 40 puts out a much broader beam with a faint spot that I find adequate for walking and the occasional closer up work. Of course, the light I need must be small, light, needs to be bullet proof, waterproof, take lithiums and produce enough light for emergency walking - "and burn a very very long time." The PT 40 with the Tutlelight bulb is the best I've been able to come up with so far. I've left it on for 5 days and still have enough light to carefully walk.

Mind you, this is my emergency long buring light, not the only light I carry. Any suggestions or ideas on a better emergency light most appreciated.

I do not own an SF lights. I have/am considering the L1 and possibly the U2 for their variable light output. The concern I have is their light output for walking in low mode and run time. From what I hear, the L1 in low mode is pretty dim for walking and the light really needs to be waterproof as falling during a river crossing our out of a boat is a real possibilty. I'd prefer the light to be a stand alone and not count on carrying extra batteries.

BTW, if the story sounds like just another internet yarn, the story is published in volume III of the Alaska Fish and Game tells, entitled "A Sheephunt to Remember", written by my hunting partner Bob Walker.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story. And 30 years ago? So I have learned something. I thought the MiniMag hit the market in 1984 and the Leatherman tool 1983.

I think I know a little bit how you felt, beeing stranded. Many long time cavers had similar experiences, but now it is too easy to take several tiny lights with you and the younger people lack these experience .-)

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Petu, you are correct. The hunt was actually in 1972 and my recollection of the exact flashlight/multitool brand fails me; however, the mini/leather represent the idea to folks who don't back that far. I have edited my post. Be happy to mail you a copy of the story if you PM me.

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
The TerraLux spot miser has about the same beam as a UK 2AAA eLED on a PR base. I have one in a 2D cell light and it runs for several days continuous on. Might be handy.