Oldie but goodie. X5 freezer pop and high cri 5mm leds

Jchang76

Newly Enlightened
A friend asked how i did this. Of course, i learned by combing through old threads here on cpf. Many of the old pics of this mod are gone so here are some from my stab at it. I used the freezer pop method, had to do many many times.

Put very high cri 5000k 5mm leds. Sorry beamshots coming shortly. very good floody high cri and high cct. Very equal to 5600 yujis imo.

This does run alarmingly warm so i don't know if I'm compromising their life span. I've never had a 5mm led get warm except for when they got hot then burnt out testing resistors and 12v led strip power combinations for display cases at work. I have used this light for a couple months though and it's been fine. Running on x2 li fe 3.2v rcr123.

Excuse my ineptitude at making threads. If this is annoying or misdone i guess I'll hear about it.

Here are some key takeaways from my reinventing the wheel...

1. Make sure to get all air out of the light when filling with water. Do it fully submerged and shake it out, that goes for the tail also. The air will cushion the expanding ice, causing failure. When i succeeded the rubber button on the tail cap was really bulged out! Do several times. I didn't thaw and drain between pushes, just opened and shook out under water, recapped, towel dry and back into the freezer.

2. Don't try to force the pcb board from the head. It's much easier to unscrew the positive center pin then the parts separate easily.

3. The leds in mine look reverse polarity (when compared to my swap in choice). Make sure to follow the markings on the pcb board. Im a dumb noob so maybe I'm reversed.

4. When reassembling after led swap, set the silicone gasket in the steel head then push the led/pcb into the head with the gasket already set into it. It will be much easier

5. Test light thoroughly with bezel partially reset before fully pressing or hammering it back in. It will work fine partially set. I've even left the bezel 1/8" proud and use the groove created for a pocket clip. I had one flickering led to replace luckily caught that before having to do a second freezer pop.

I'll finish adding pics in the next couple days.

Probably will not be succeeding in adding this pic, link to imgur next...

Testing testing 123...

PHaPtLP

http://imgur.com/gallery/PHaPtLP

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Xe5h3E

Last edited: