UK Light Cannon Simple Mod for More Throw

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UK Light Cannon is pretty bright on it's own, but I found it a little lacking in the throw department. So, I did this:

lc1.jpg

That's a Mag reflector trimmed so it drops right into the stock reflector at focus.

lc2.jpg

Now the LC100 has some serious throw, and with it's 4 hour run time it makes for a very nice spotting light. I could not measure the output as it immediately overdrives the light meter, as it's way over 20,000+ lux.

New tricks for old dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dabiscake said:
Is it a stock Mag reflector?? Doesn't it get too hot and melt?

[/ QUOTE ]

The UK stock reflector is plastic too; no, it doesn't get that hot. The same HID bulb has also been used in custom Mag HID set ups with out melting the reflector. But, you need to trim it away from the bulb so there is a good air gap between bulb and reflector.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Hmmm... and I have a Mag reflector with a slightly melted center that would probably be perfect if I trimmed out the damaged part.

Any hints on how to trim it correctly (without destroying it)?

Oh, and the original UK LC100 reflector _was_ metal (mine is). But the plastic Mag relfector should be fine. The lamp is only 10W.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
illumiGeek said:
Hmmm... and I have a Mag reflector with a slightly melted center that would probably be perfect if I trimmed out the damaged part.

Any hints on how to trim it correctly (without destroying it)?

Oh, and the original UK LC100 reflector _was_ metal (mine is). But the plastic Mag relfector should be fine. The lamp is only 10W.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the stock and modded Mag reflector.

lc3.jpg

This reflector is cut to 1.01" inch in height. But since you have the older metal reflector, things might not measure out the same to be in focus.

jtice

Flashaholic
Wow, I didnt know these had a 4 hour runtime.

Are you placing the Mag reflector IN the stock one? Or replacing the stock one?

I am wanting to buy, or make a good HID light, maybe this is what I should do.