Help me salvage a Litra Torch

pixelshooter

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

New member here. I ruined a Litra Torch 2.0 cube light . I was overconfident about using the power of my hands to removing the magnet which is attached to the cube. I opened up the back panel of the cube, removed the screws on the PCB, and tried to pry the PCB apart with a knife. It took me a few tries to realise that the PCB is glued to back panel. But it was too late by then, and I seemed to have destroyed a component or two under the board, because the LEDs don't light up anymore.:eek:

Now, just because the PCB doesn't work, I don't want to discard the product. Can you please suggest what kind of LED driver I need, to power the LEDs? I may not be able to fit everything back together with the new LED driver, but I can at least use the LEDs as a fixed source of light if I can power them with a new driver.

Q1Hc0p1.jpg

1. There are 16 LEDs
  2. The battery is rated 3.7v 2.3A, 9W
  3. The manual mentions input as 5V, 1A. So, would to be correct to assume that the PCB boosts the 3.7v input from the battery to 5V 1A, to power the 16 LED?
  4. There are 4 wires from the LED to the PCB. The markings on the PCB read: LD+, LD-, T+, T-. Why are there 4 leads? What does LD and T stand for? I measured the output and LD+ and T+ were reading 4.1v.

I have access to a soldering iron and a multi-meter, so once I know what kind of LED driver I need, I can hopefully repurpose the light by desoldering the LED wires from the Litra PCB and connecting them to the driver. If there is any other way I can salvage the product, please do suggest.

Thank you!
r2OcbUq

r2OcbUq

Last edited by a moderator:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would use a heat gun to try breaking down the glue holding the board. If you can free it, you can assess the damage and maybe it's repairable.
if not, contact the manufacturer and ask if you can get a replacement part.
It's hard to know what driver or drivers to recommend without knowing what less are being used and how they are wired.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The 5V input is there to recharge the battery not to power the light itself although it may possibly operate as a pass though. As jabe1 said without knowing the specs on the LEDs themselves and to be sure the way they are hooked up you could destroy them plus even with an external driver if the LEDs are still wired on the board containing the old electronics it could cause problems you would probably need to cut the traces to isolate them from what is still there otherwise you could find a short or a constant drain on the battery when off.