Acebeam        

Thread: Searching: 2 stage (high/low), AA battery, forward click.

Default Searching: 2 stage (high/low), AA battery, forward click.

Had a Jetbeam BA10. Looking to replace with similar: 2 stage (high/low) adjustable via the head preferably, AA battery, forward click.
    *Dereelight DBS 3SD *Mag 3D - Malkoff *Pelican 7060 *2 x Lego Surefires (M60 & MC-E)

Default Re: Searching: 2 stage (high/low), AA battery, forward click.

JETBeam E3P ... excellent, and discontinued. Could never understand why so few alternatives in this particular market niche ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

If you can deal with a reverse clicky, the Eagtac D3A can function as a 2-stage.

Perhaps the Olight i5t or Streamlight Protac EMS or 1L-1Aa?

FM MD1.5 body (or the original from MDW), MDX22.3, M31 with high low, and Z41 or Malkoff tail. You would also need a sleeve, blue painters tape, or a dollar dollar bill to reduce diameter 4mm.
    Last edited by lion504; 02-23-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    FM MD1.5 body (or the original from MDW), MDX22.3, M31 with high low, and Z41 or Malkoff tail. You would also need a sleeve, blue painters tape, or a dollar dollar bill to reduce diameter 4mm.
    This went over my head.
    *Dereelight DBS 3SD *Mag 3D - Malkoff *Pelican 7060 *2 x Lego Surefires (M60 & MC-E)

Post Re: Searching: 2 stage (high/low), AA battery, forward click.

Apologies. You might consider building a high quality American made light with modular components. You can buy these parts separately.

You mentioned AA fuel. A AA cell is approximately 14mm in diameter and 50 mm long, or 14500 size. The MD1.5 body tube is the correct length, but is 18mm wide, made to accept 18mm cells like the 18500. If you go this route, but want to use a AA/14500, you need to shim the extra width using a spacer like a dollar bill rolled up around the battery. Here’s the link for the battery tube.
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0)-By-FiveMega

A spacer option:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...56#post4639656

If you don’t shim, you will experience battery rattle. Not cool.

As I mentioned, this is a modular light. Now you need a head with light engine. Assuming you want to stay with AA primaries, you should focus on a 3 volt engine like the M31, made to fit in a MDX head.
    https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...o-fit-vme-head
    This engine would give you around 60 lumens, single mode, at 3000k.
    The cool variant is slightly more powerful:
    https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...o-fit-vme-head

If you’re willing to consider rechargeable cells you could use a 14500 or 18500 3.7v li ion battery and the M61 series drop ins. Much more powerful - for extra throw. Very cool.

These P60 type drop ins work in the MDX head, which screws onto the MD1.5 body above:
    https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...0b7d6476&_ss=r
    This is a 16.5mm diameter bezel, Gene Malkoff also makes one with a larger 22.3mm lens, it is preferred for better beam pattern.

You mentioned two-mode via head rotation. Also an option here using the Malkoff hi low switch.
    https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...switch-for-md2
    The hi low switch screws into the head around the light engine and is activated by turning the head slightly. Gives you a low mode with the M31 drop in via the resistors.

Finally the tail cap and mechanical forward clicky:
    https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...md2-md3-or-md4
    Malkoff bodies share the Surefire c series tail threading spec, so a SF z41 would work also.

In the end you would have a light that looks like this:
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5212656
    Its the second light from left.

Heres another better shot, minus the tail cap (3rd image down)
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Rare-Dropins!

This light will meet all your specs. Obviously a bit more effort to source components and assemble, though I should point out assembly is screwingparts together, not soldering wires. Very easy! I taught my wife what to do in 5 mins. And prob more expensive. But it is American made, user maintainable/upgrade able, multi fuel, etc. And exactly what you want.

PM if you have more questions. I built this exact light and it worked well. Eventually sold it because my preferences changed. For me, this light was attractive because it offered the ability to easily switch light engines.

best of luck.
    Last edited by lion504; 02-25-2021 at 04:11 AM.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]

Flashaholic*

Would older tech like Fenix L1D or even better the older programmable 4-7s Quark AA work for you? They are out there. When the Quark head is loose it is a mode of your choosing and can't change, you can even signal someone in Morse code if you want. Then you tighten for another mode of your choosing. Max, min, strobe, etc. 7 to choose from.

The new Prometheus Quarks have an AA body as an accessory and it is programmable to two modes, but maybe not the ones you want and I don't think it is selectable by head twisting.
    Last edited by cave dave; 02-25-2021 at 07:25 PM.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by supawabb View Post
    Had a Jetbeam BA10. Looking to replace with similar: 2 stage (high/low) adjustable via the head preferably, AA battery, forward click.
    +1 the Olight i5T except it's adjustable via short-press rather than the head. Nice tailcap press, not mushy or soft, and the Low-High light levels are well spaced.
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark

Flashaholic*

You aren't going to find too many new lights that use the head tighten/loosen for high/low as Surefire holds a patent for that and has sued multiple companies for their use of that UI.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Flashaholic

The old foursevens quark tactical are good if you can find one.

Flashaholic

Look at Olight i5T AA, i3T AAA. High/low clicky in tail cap selects H/L.
    =D~~ Kilted, Gasoline | /dev/null

Quote Originally Posted by supawabb View Post
    Wow, saw this on another site and immediately reminded me of what you were looking for, or as close as I've seen - Trustfire L2 Mini (yeah, I know "trustfire", I was skeptical too but they are supposedly better these days.)
    - 2 stage (high/low) - YES
    - adjustable via the head preferably, - YES
    - AA battery, - YES
    - forward click - YES
    Last edited by pc_light; 03-01-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark