Getting a red "patina" on a raw Cu light

I have a copper FW3A light and I accidentally found a way to get a nice shinny "red" color going vs. flat brown. Copper can do either, just look at old cents for sale on EBay.

Anyway, this light has always been very touchy about how it is assembled and tightened. Otherwise the light sees the thumb button as on and it just ramps up and stays at maximum till it's disassembled. And it had jammed on and I hadn't noticed. I tried to pick it up to unscrew the light but it was almost too hot to touch, much too hot to grab firmly and unscrew. The heat had made it very tight. Quickly tried an oven mitt, it was getting way too hot. Then it occurred to me -- O-rings, waterproof. So I put it under the spout and ran cold water over it. Cooled so I could touch it and I unscrewed it.

And I am happy to say the copper has taken on a nice "red" clear tint, nothing profound but nice.

Your results may vary. :devil:

SYZYGY

Enlightened
it took me two minutes and ten seconds (i timed it) to write this post, find an image, download it, and upload it to imgur. there are other viable image hosts including imgbb. i did not have to pay anything.

BkGsciy.jpg

it took me two minutes and ten seconds (i timed it) to write this post, find an image, download it, and upload it to imgur. there are other viable image hosts including imgbb. i did not have to pay anything. Or am I wrong about needing to be a paying member?

I have over 100 websites I could easily put an image at. I'm saying I don't pay to be able to put an image in a post on this board. And if it's not paying work, I do things when the time is available, don't yet have an image to post. Or am I wrong about being a paying member to post?

Last edited:

boo5ted

Enlightened
There is hundreds if not thousands of free image hosting sites out there. You only need to pay to host if you want "premium" features.

OK, this is all good. I'd swear
red.JPG
I was stopped before, but I'm getting old and confused. :)

Let's try and put the image right here:

Well, it went up there, but there it is!