Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: StreamLight Wedge!

Flashaholic

Default Re: StreamLight Wedge!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorttime View Post
    I hope not. Maybe I have a bias because I'm used to asking what could possibly go wrong, without a bit of humor or even irony. I will wait for the consensus opinion of wiser flashaholics, than myself.
    That's a very good "bias" to have Shorttime, and is a large part of what I do for a living, so I'm with you on that. You're right to be skeptical on that particular point, because it's one that's so often 'gotten wrong' in designs by many manufacturers (including some who should know better). I'm probably not wiser than you, but my professional experience and careful examination of the available info on this light suggests to me that they've probably gotten it right on this one. Looks great to me on paper (screen), but paperware isn't far from vaporware in my dictionary, and nothing but hands-on eval will tell if they got it right, or if they blew it. I'll let you know, since I'm so impressed with what I see that I've pre-ordered one - something I normally don't do or recommend, but I just had to check this one out for myself!

Nothing special, just an atypical shape, which may or may not be slimmer than some cylindrical lights.

Probably can't change the battery, so you're just renting it for a few years, or most will be.

Hard pass for me.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    Nothing special, just an atypical shape, which may or may not be slimmer than some cylindrical lights.

Probably can't change the battery, so you're just renting it for a few years, or most will be.

Hard pass for me.

Chris

Now, I really hope Streamlight doesn't do us dirty, like that! I doubt they will: Streamlight seems to be pretty good about making products that are built to last.

I see some Torx screws in one of their photos, so I think what we'll get is a proprietary battery that can be replaced, but you have to buy it from Streamlight.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Shorttime View Post
    Now, I really hope Streamlight doesn't do us dirty, like that! I doubt they will: Streamlight seems to be pretty good about making products that are built to last.

I see some Torx screws in one of their photos, so I think what we'll get is a proprietary battery that can be replaced, but you have to buy it from Streamlight.
    The images are pretty good for what they are, but neither my screen nor eyes are, so I can't say. You could well be right. Assuming they are Torx (just for discussion purpose), my take would be: [and SL knows more about building flashlights than I ever will, so I'm speculating of course. Done calculators, semiconductors, and even extrusions for flashlight tubes, but never flashlights].

I would use Torx if I wanted to discourage end-user disassembly, and imply 'no user serviceable parts inside'. If designing for user disassembly, I'd use Phillips, as they did for the clip - but I probably wouldn't. The packaging density inside this thing is likely so micro-tight that lay end-users wouldn't likely be qualified to replace the cell/batt anyway. That's almost certainly true unless I'd designed it for that, and if not a requirement I would not, as it would add cost.

I see potential 'depot service' for batt replacement given the product cost/price, especially if it's designed well enough to outlast the batt - which it likely is, so you might not have to trash it if you maxed out the batt life. This doesn't seem to me like it's 'disposable', although it might be(?). I see one entry in the parts catalog for this, and that's a little bag with a replacement clip and two Phillips screws. I don't see the batt being sold to end users. If I'm correct, this would not mean the product isn't "built to last".

If this is a 'non-user-replaceable batt', it will be far from the first such product, but even much further from the last. I expect many, many such products in the future - even in the flashlight sector. This is the trend in the 2020s, and even as a fairly old guy, I know I need to 'get over it' and adapt. I want to enjoy some of those products!:-)

Well put AZ.
    I kinda see it as serviceable, by a trained person. I don't mean trained in some Streamlight certification school but they may have that. I mean someone with experience who has proper skills and tools for such a task. A tinkerer if you will. Otherwise everything would be glued together instead of having screws, torx or otherwise.

My celphone would be deemed disposable by most but in the right hands my cracked screen or malfunctioning camera can be repaired for a small fee by a local zit faced guy with yes the sterotypical pocket protector in his Dickies shirt pocket.

These sorts of devices are here and more and more will arrive as things get smaller and smaller. When I lurked a vaping forum many said those portable disposable vapes will never catch on. A year later the vape world was littered with literally hundreds of choices. And numerous purists were chiming in at some point "guys have you tried the Binford 459, you can swap out wick and coils on those babies" because like here at CPF there were tinkerers galore there.

Streamlight understands the market place very well. Not the CPF crowd mind you, but the rest of the folks on planet earth and in general produce products that sell fairly well. Time will tell if this wedge will be like their ProTac EMS that was largely misunderstood so they did not sell well, or if this thing becomes the little cousin of the Stinger.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-06-2021 at 08:25 AM.
    John 3:16

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12