Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StreamLight Wedge!

Default StreamLight Wedge!

Anyone else thinking this looks interesting?

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/wedge

Default Re: StreamLight Wedge!

Looks interesting, but the lumens are too high.

Iím in on this the first day it is available for purchase.
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

I read about this the other day. It looks like a good design, but my guess is the tiny will be the usual 6000-7000k; canít do it.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

The shape appeals to me but I would prefer a different output setup.

I like it! Not sure about the output levels but very cool
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I know I am in the minority as a flashlight guy but I have NEVER even once had much use for moonlight modes....in fact I generally find less than 100 lumen kind of useless....and I would prefer 200+ almost all the time. And this is someone whose first really good flashlight was a 65 lumen Surefire 6P!

Quote Originally Posted by WebHobbit View Post
    I know I am in the minority as a flashlight guy but I have NEVER even once had much use for moonlight modes....in fact I generally find less than 100 lumen kind of useless....and I would prefer 200+ almost all the time. And this is someone whose first really good flashlight was a 65 lumen Surefire 6P!
    That is what makes this hobby interesting. 95% of my flashlight use is 10 lumens or less.
    I also started with a 6P and a couple years ago added a Malkoff drop-in. It is a perfect bedside light.

Flashaholic

Anyone else thinking this looks interesting?
    Yes, I think it looks like a very interesting and potentially very good, useful, practical design. I'm not certain I actually need one, but that won't stop me from at least considering acquiring one. It appears to be a sufficiently good all-round light design that most anyone could use the heck out of it. I didn't really need the Stinger 2020 I recently picked up, but I found it very interesting as well and wanted to see how SL did with a, shall we say advanced / new / different design. I'm beyond impressed with what they did with that one and am very happy I bought it, so I figure the same might be true with the Wedge. When many manufacturers try to 'think outside the box', they just fall off the wagon and roll off into the ditch - failing miserably and turning out something, well, 'stupid'. My experience so far is that in SL's case, they tend to do their research and homework very well and turn out very well thought-out, good designs when they try something 'new and different'. The 2020 has taught me a few things about flashlight design, and surprised me on several counts, I can tell you that! That 2020 taught me that if I'M able to think outside the box a little better myself, SL can surprise me and show me a thing or two!

5.46in is a little too long for pocket carry IMO.
    I expect stepless output control from a dial switch or at least 4-stage low/med/hi/turbo setting.

300 lumens with a listed 69 meters of beam distance must be VERY floody. I actually prefer floody on lights I use for everyday use. I think a 300 lumen floody beam would be great for working (not leisure purposes) and would even be helpful for illuminating crevices during the daytime. I'd guess it will probably put out around 1500cd. However, I hesitate to purchase any light that doesn't have a user replaceable battery design. I also prefer a tail switch on my smaller lights... it also forces me to hold the light higher which helps with floody lights when half the beam is obscured by a chair or rail.

I really wish SF and SL listed their widths for their rectangular lights (e.g. SF Stiletto specs only give the bezel diameter which is often larger than the body's depth). Personally, I would LOVE to have a AA sized bezel (floody) with a side by side 2x14500 battery setup, that had around 4 modes between 5 lumen and 800 lumen turbo, a tail forward clicky with momentary, and a way to activate the highest setting with one click and momentary high. Basically a SF Stilleto with 2x14500 would do me fine.

I appreciate the 5 lumen modes for when walking at night and just need to illuminate something in my path without blinding my night vision. I also understand why people like the moonlight modes (sub 1 lumen), but I never use them... although I might turn on my phone screen if I really need super low light.

For me the size looks perfect but I am used to carrying 6P and slightly smaller sized lights in pocket. What I don't like is cool white tints and I HATE the way StreamLight just calls almost all their LEDS "C4". That Surefire like habit of HIDING the LED specs/info is some real unhelpful BS. Still I look forward to reviews on this in the coming months. This could be a nice backup carry to my "real lights".
    Last edited by WebHobbit; 02-24-2021 at 03:38 AM.

I EDC an s2+
    .940 diameter , 4.6" long.

Interesting light... The form factor is intriguing but I am staying with swappable cells

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty321 View Post
    I'd guess it will probably put out around 1500cd.
    I really wish SF and SL listed their widths for their rectangular lights
    This will help with the specs. Can't speak to the poly-output, cylindrical cell, tail switch, SF stuff, etc. Sounds like a different category/light would be in order.

https://www.streamlight.com/docs/def...-sheet/359.pdf

I chuckled at the runtime spec az, 1000 lumens!!!! Woohoo.
    For 35 seconds. Doh!
    John 3:16

I like a lot about this. I carry a flashlight at work regularly, and it looks like it would solve a lot of the binding problems I have with getting my light in and out of my pocket when I have my gloves on.

I have my doubts about the switch. I'm pretty sure that people are going to have those switching on in their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by aznsx View Post
    This will help with the specs. Can't speak to the poly-output, cylindrical cell, tail switch, SF stuff, etc. Sounds like a different category/light would be in order.

https://www.streamlight.com/docs/def...-sheet/359.pdf
    Thanks!

ď I have my doubts about the switch. I'm pretty sure that people are going to have those switching on in their pockets.Ē

Yes. Probably why 1000 lumens shuts off after 35 seconds. Lol
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Color Temp and Tint?

For EDC, I would want 1 to 300 lumen modes

While I love the USB-C standard, and half of my devices these days use it, USB Micro is still more common in my universe when in a pinch... both USB-C and Micro ports would be cool.
    Last edited by holygeez03; 02-25-2021 at 12:25 PM.

You never use your light to read something in a car while someone else is driving?

Or in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom without turning on blinding lights?

The thing is until you actually need it, it will never make sense.
    I always hated moonlight mode and thought it was just another "flavor of the month" to sell flashlights until i needed it.

Now I complain that the low isn't low enough when I need moonlight..until I carry my SF tactician to work and have to look under a desk and then complain 'why is the low so low"?! I need about 100 lumens!!

Ya just can't make some people happy!!

FWIW I'm looking forward to this one for the flat body and deep clip.

It does look like a nice design Roger. It's another (somewhat) novel idea from Streamlight that may be a big seller for them.
    John 3:16

You never use your light to read something in a car while someone else is driving?

Or in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom without turning on blinding lights?

The wife and I try to avoid driving at night.

I have used all my lights to walk around the house in the dark and I find 50-100 lumen is easy enough to control (so not to wake anyone) and I have never blinded myself with one. As far as night adjusted eyes go I think our house has enough electronic LEDs and various night lights on that I don't usually need a flashlight for a bathroom run. I appreciate some people needing the very low modes I just never have myself.
    Last edited by WebHobbit; 02-25-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorttime View Post
    I like a lot about this. I carry a flashlight at work regularly, and it looks like it would solve a lot of the binding problems I have with getting my light in and out of my pocket when I have my gloves on.

I have my doubts about the switch. I'm pretty sure that people are going to have those switching on in their pockets.
    I doubt the switch will activate in a clean pocket (with no other items as I carry my flashlight) as it is side-mounted. It should never contact your body. My ZLs never come on either as I have the switch against the pocket non body side.

I also need to know more about the durability of the switch.

Flashaholic

I'll bet good money (which I don't have:-) that: 1) a good 'carry package' on all the external surfaces for easy in / out of pockets and comfortable carry, and 2) avoidance of accidental switch operation, were both near the very top of their 'objectives and requirements' list for this light, and that they probably nailed both of those with the design. As far as switch (or other) reliability, given who makes this, I wouldn't give that a second thought (although I always give it a first thought:-). I view the 'max burst output' mode as an emergency function, and would rather have it available than not. 35 seconds can be an eternity when things are going very wrong, and it could save my neck. That's a feature I would like to have and hope to only rarely need / use.

Edit: Hmmm. Housing machined, not stamped. I like their style.
    Last edited by aznsx; 02-26-2021 at 01:09 AM.

Unenlightened

Love the design, the output choice lost me... 1000 lumens for 35 seconds...WTF

Itís almost set up so you have 1000 lumens to find what your looking for then the ability to switch to 300 once you find it.Or walking around with 300 and the ability to blast 1000 for short bursts to see farther ahead. Kinda weird levels.

I doubt the switch will activate in a clean pocket (with no other items as I carry my flashlight) as it is side-mounted. It should never contact your body. My ZLs never come on either as I have the switch against the pocket non body side.
    I hope not. Maybe I have a bias because I'm used to asking what could possibly go wrong, without a bit of humor or even irony. I will wait for the consensus opinion of wiser flashaholics, than myself.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Itís almost set up so you have 1000 lumens to find what your looking for then the ability to switch to 300 once you find it.Or walking around with 300 and the ability to blast 1000 for short bursts to see farther ahead. Kinda weird levels.
    "By Jove, I think he's got it!" The answer is 'both of the above', and given all the various considerations I'm aware of, I think the levels chosen are spot-on / appropriate for those situations, and a good choice from both a real-world (at least my real world) use perspective, and an engineering perspective. Perhaps not 'typical' choices, but I don't think this is intended to be a 'typical' (me too) light - in fact I know it's not. I'm sure that they targeted 3 positions for that switch and no more than 3, and they went with a momentary-contact 'nitrous' blast level rather than a 'low' for the second output, because that's most appropriate for exactly the situations you described, and the application(s) / user segment(s) that I believe this light is targeted for. The normal output should do the job in the vast majority of circumstances for most users, while allowing decent runtime with the power supply available. The scenario I picture is when suddenly circumstances have me thinking: 'Uh oh, I need a lot more light than this, like all I can get, and I need it right now, with the light I already have in my hand'. That situation is prioritized higher with this design than the need for a lower output, as when things go sideways or the unexpected happens, more light will save your hide more often than less will. It isn't for everybody, as no one light is, but I think they'll cover a broad user segment with it - including me.
    Last edited by aznsx; 03-01-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast