Imalent        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music and Musician Discussion Thread

Flashaholic*

Popcorn Music and Musician Discussion Thread

I just figured that this could be a supplement to the popular "music to the marrow" thread where people could discuss music and artists. If the powers that be think it is a bad ideal or if there is another thread like it please just take it down. I guess technically I started it, but officially I want someone else to kick it off and see where it goes, so you all jump in there if this thread is useful.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-25-2021 at 06:50 AM.

Default Re: Music and Artist discussion thread

one of my fav bands https://youtu.be/c2nJK_6idQM
    Last edited by raggie33; 02-24-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Hi raggie33. Thanks for jumping in there.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-09-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Flashaholic*

Well, if no one else is going to post I'll post again. Yeah raggie33, that band you posted seems like they have talent. I never heard of them before until now, but it looks like they have been around for 30 years. You have to be good to last that long. On some of my favorite bands they made good music and looked like they were having a good time, but there was a lot of friction behind the scenes. A lot of good artists have also passed on like Cory Wells (RIP) of the three dog night.

Flashaholic*

I wish the eagles would let Don Felder come back. Some of the best guitar work I've ever heard was when him and Joe Walsh did some guitar weaving while at a concert in Seattle Washington back in 1976. The song was "turn to stone".

I'm hoping more of yall would join in. Surely I'm not the only one that wants to discuss (or talk about) music and artists.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-24-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    Well, if no one else is going to post I'll post again. Yeah raggie33, that band you posted seems like they have talent. I never heard of them before until now, but it looks like they have been around for 30 years. You have to be good to last that long. On some of my favorite bands they made good music and looked like they were having a good time, but there was a lot of friction behind the scenes. A lot of good artists have also passed on like Cory Wells (RIP) of the three dog night.
    they came out before metalica if im recalling right. metalica in one video had a trouble tshirt on.
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Today I had Elvis Costello "Get Happy" in the player. When in my skateboarding hey day Elvis was huge. He put out a bunch of records back to back but for years I could not find which one had the song Opportunity from back around '79 or 80. At one point I even questioned if it were even him that did it. Not one person I knew in the 90's forward knew what I was talking about.

Then one day in a music store the 'album' Get Happy was in the used CD section for like $3. Hoah, Nelly the second song is titled Opportunity. Could it be 'that song'? My truck had a tape player so it was an hour before I arrived home and……yesssssssss!! Finally!! I'm not crazy, it really did exist. It also contains several other hits and just flat out Elvis Costello nuggets. King Horse, B Movie, 5 Gears in Reverse, Hi Fidelity, Can't Stand Up for Falling Down, Man Called Uncle and others.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 02-24-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    they came out before metalica if im recalling right. metalica in one video had a trouble tshirt on.
    Oh, ok. They've been around for a good while.

Flashaholic*

I knew about Elvis Costello since 79 when my cousin used to subscribe to those high fidelity magazines that featured him a lot. Never heard a song by him though till one night on coast to coast they had one of his songs on the bumper music. I like his style and wonder why he never got any airplay on top 40 stations. Seems like on our AOR station WRKK I would hear his name when the dj would announce who all he just played, but I didn't know which song it was. That was from 79 to the early 80s.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 02-24-2021 at 09:47 PM.

I knew about Elvis Costello since 79 when my cousin used to subscribe to those high fidelity magazines that featured him a lot. Never heard a song by him though till one night on coast to coast they had one of his songs on the bumper music. I like his style and wonder why he never got any airplay on top 40 stations. Seems like on our AOR station WRKK I would hear his name when the dj would announce who all he just played, but I didn't know which song it was. That was from 79 to the early 80s.
    You had to be listening to the right stations. Top 40 sucked then and sucks now.

watched this the other night - hard to believe that it came out 42 years ago.

this is one diverse forum

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 01:08 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    You had to be listening to the right stations. Top 40 sucked then and sucks now.
    That's true

Flashaholic*

this is one diverse forum
    I hope that's a good thing

ladygaga is the best singer we have today. she is perfect no autotune just perfection. she sounds better live then artist who had the vocals fixed digalty

I hope that's a good thing
    a course it is

Flashaholic*

ladygaga is the best singer we have today. she is perfect no autotune just perfection. she sounds better live then artist who had the vocals fixed digalty
    I found out the hard way (after I found out the singers weren't really inside the radio) that a lot of folks had their voices doctored up digitally. It's good to hear of folks that have a natural ability.

Flashaholic*

watched this the other night - hard to believe that it came out 42 years ago.

Lol xxo, that's a movie. It seems humorous, but it's too long for me to watch right now.
    I thought it was a music video. That's ok though

I found out the hard way (after I found out the singers weren't really inside the radio) that a lot of folks had their voices doctored up digitally. It's good to hear of folks that have a natural ability.
    i notonly hear music i see it. its hard to explain buy i see the notes. around 2000 or so i saw music was chsnged digalty.

Lol xxo, that's a movie. It seems humorous, but it's too long for me to watch right now.
    I thought it was a music video. That's ok though
    Once you start watching, its hard to stop. Great movie.

listen to this listen slow ya thoughts down listen with your heart https://youtu.be/qQdnl0_IuRg

There lots of amazing female vocalists out there, like:

Ellie Rowsell

Angel Olsen

and Frazy Ford

and can't forget Polly Jean Harvey

GPM, this one is long but not a movie just a concert set.

Flashaholic*

Once you start watching, its hard to stop. Great movie.
    Yeah, I had to make myself pull away. I like those 70s humorous movies.
    They call me trinity and my name is nobody were 2 that come to mind. A tease: https://youtu.be/IP11jDHwX98
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-10-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Yeah, I had to make myself pull away. I like those 70s humorous movies.
    They call me trinity and my name is nobody were 2 that come to mind. A tease: https://youtu.be/IP11jDHwX98

The old movies were so much better than most of what we have now.

I guess I shoulda, just posted the trailer, which is funny too.

it's always good to see the Ramones! Brings back memories.

Flashaholic*

It seems those old movies had a lot of creativity. I watched those videos. Seems like I have heard of that one by the black crows before, but didn't know it was them. I'm not into just female musicians only, but they are like a breath of fresh air and they season the airwaves. I'm learning there are a lot of good modern musicians out there. I'm kinda stuck in the late 60s to the late 80s on what I know. In that span of 20 something years the music was just phenomenal. Maybe though it also had something to do with the timeline it was set in. Especially in the early and late 70s songs just kept coming out that made a person say "whoa!". The disco era in between was kinda drab IMHO.

Flashaholic*

i notonly hear music i see it. its hard to explain buy i see the notes. around 2000 or so i saw music was chsnged digalty.
    I can't even read music. I know I can hear a certain song and it takes me back whether good or bad- mostly good. I look forward to Christmas for the music. I like the music better than any gift or holiday food. Some well known musicians can sing those old hymns so beautifully.

Flashaholic*

I first heard this song when I started working for Auto Armature back in 89 and it got my attention a little. It kind of reminds me of that place.https://youtu.be/tDl3bdE3YQA , This woman and her song are a trip. I'm not concerned with what she says about religion because " religion" is such a generic term nowadays and even includes satanism.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-10-2021 at 03:03 PM.

listen to this listen slow ya thoughts down listen with your heart https://youtu.be/qQdnl0_IuRg
    Raggie33, Thanks for that.
    I always enjoy the unexpected collaborations. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss come to mind.
    One of my favorites is for Christmas; Bowie and Crosby little drummer boy.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast