Malkoff        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music and Musician Discussion Thread

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Music and Artist discussion thread

Hey raggie33, is that like the group "dc Talk"? I like some of their stuff.

Yeah SCEMan, I also watched it when it aired back in the day. SNL was better back then, but I like variety, so I also watched SCTV. There are several sctv skits on youtube. I think John Candy got his start on there....not sure, but he was pretty much the main character on there. I was disappointed when the show was cancelled.

Edit: one thing about that particular episode though is when I watched it back in the day I thought Joe had shorter hair and a mustache. Strange huh?
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-04-2021 at 10:44 PM.

more like this band https://youtu.be/0sWKKKNRV90
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Dog gone, I couldn't understand them raggie33. They sure play fast though. I bet they could wake a person up in the morning.

these guys been a great band always one member just got out or is about out of brain cancer surgery
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Lol, that would make a good alarm tone (the first song you uploaded on this page) on my wife's phone. Her hair would be sticking straight up like Patty Smyth in that warrior video.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:10 AM.

Flashaholic*

Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:11 AM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Music and Musician Discussion Thread

I originally posted this in raggie's random remarks and although I think I should have started this thread out with this one somehow I didn't. It was in reference to Bob Seger's old time rock and roll. There might be some slight overlap.

Regarding that song by Bob Seger, it's true now more than ever. Some young folk still like the old stuff, but I have encountered a lot that didn't. I don't quite understand why it was written though at that time (1979) because the better music hadn't went away yet. Blackfoot's highway song came out that year and .38 special found their groove and released their rocking into the night album (1980). The long run by the eagles was soon to come along with Joe Walshe's "in the city". Heart still had their old sound and released another album around that time and John Folgerty was yet to release his centerfield album and later at a concert for vets he started singing his old songs again from the CCR days. Atlanta Rhythm Section was going strong and the remaining members of Skynerd formed the Rossington Collins band and cut an album. Even ZZ TOP was still going and also the local band- Hotel (If you ever leave me).
    The early to mid 70s music was sure enough, but the late 70s to early 80s had some dynamic hits along with some drab, but in 79 and 80- wow!

Edit: NOW I REMEMBER- the dreaded disco era. It came in all smooth like and people got tired of it after just a few years. I remember hearing dj's announcing bee gee free weekends lol. I guess ol Bob was referring to that and I recall him mentioning that (disco) in his song. What I remember was that the bee gees were the lead band in the disco era and they said something in their song " how deep is your love" that got a lot of people angry. They tried to run pr on it and even changed the offending lyrics, but the damage was already done. The better music did come back and southern rock lead the way with their dynamic sound. I guess molly hatchet was the most dynamic one.
    I try to stay away from all that now because it pulls me back and I tend to start acting like the old Mike who wasn't a good person, but when I hear all that goobly gook blasted in cars today I'm still tempted to blast them with something better. Highway song, rocky mountain way, freebird and layla were works of art. I wonder....behind some of the best songs out there, how many of the artists actually had to sell their soul to be able to write and play those songs? I think a lot of music before 1969 was more innocent and the dark cloud came afterwards.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-11-2021 at 12:03 AM.

Flashaholic*

I talk too much, so y'all carry on while I read more and talk less.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 03-10-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post

Disco was pretty annoying, especially when you got something like a village people song stuck in your head, but it wasn't all that bad particularly when disco began to merge with punk to create new wave. Being the first punk rock band, the Ramones were the anti disco/disco sucks band back then. The Ramones were miffed when Debbie Harry/Blondie stopped hanging out at CBGB's punk scene and got more in to mainstream disco/pop. Blondie knew how to do disco and punk.

I also kinda like this from Olivia Newton John:

Flashaholic*

I like Debra Harry and Olivia. Those are some talented ladies from the past. On that song where Debra has long hair she has attitude.

The thing about disco was many of the songs were actually pretty good. Trouble was it was in your face all the time due to comercialization. These days I rarely listen to comercial radio for music unless it is in the background of where I am so quite a few popular acts like this Justin Beiber, Brittney Spears, Lady Gaga etc I have never knowingly heard before. I don't watch comercial tv, or keep up with pro sports etc so I've never seen them sing the national anyhem or do a half time event. I feel like that guy living in the Congo who never knew Coca Cola existed until the day a bottle dropped from an airplane landed next to him. The story goes he used it as a hammer.

One day while at my sons house I brought my mp3 player and plugged it up to his speakers he has in the garage and started playing a compilation. The song "Happy" by some guy named Pharnell Williams started playing and he says "oh no not that again"……apparently it was a very popular song so to him it was like YMCA was to me in 1977 or so. Yet I only knew of it from watching Despicable Me 2. Later "French Navy" by Camera Obscura played and again he moaned "make it stop dad"……"Clocks" by Coldplay……same thing. I never even knew those were big hits.

Yesterday the disc in my truck played "Great Balls of Fire" by Jerry Lee Lewis and I thought to myself "who would have ever imagined this song leading up to the Ramones someday"…… if you haven't yet check out the movie Walk the Line sometime for a glimpse at what some say was the birth of punk rock. Rockabilly. We all remember Johnny Cash for his chugga chugga numbers that were similar to an AC/DC song or disco song where a riff is used over and over some one song to the next. But back in the early days those guys played really good long since forgotten rock and roll numbers that drove parents crazy, caused whole cities to ban the songs and brought about a bunch of hyjinx to a whole generation of post war teenagers long before those long haired cats from Liverpool arrived.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-11-2021 at 07:28 AM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    One day while at my sons house I brought my mp3 player and plugged it up to his speakers he has in the garage and started playing a compilation. The song "Happy" by some guy named Pharnell Williams started playing and he says "oh no not that again"……apparently it was a very popular song so to him it was like YMCA was to me in 1977 or so. Yet I only knew of it from watching Despicable Me 2. Later "French Navy" by Camera Obscura played and again he moaned "make it stop dad"……"Clocks" by Coldplay……same thing. I never even knew those were big hits.
    Thank goodness your son was there to save you from the brain damage you would have suffered listening to that stuff.....I think that I would rather fire up the village people on the old 8 track.

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    Thank goodness your son was there to save you from the brain damage you would have suffered listening to that stuff.....I think that I would rather fire up the village people on the old 8 track.
    What a boring world it would be if every piece of art had to please everyone. I don't care for rap. However, I do marvel at the ability of someone to perform it well. The sheer amount of the lyrics should impress even its harshest critics.

Not one of the 1,o94,592,135 listeners were harmed during their short time of enjoying this -

Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    What a boring world it would be if every piece of art had to please everyone. I don't care for rap. However, I do marvel at the ability of someone to perform it well. The sheer amount of the lyrics should impress even its harshest critics.

Not one of the 1,o94,592,135 listeners were harmed during their short time of enjoying this -

Is it a coincidence that 1,o94,592,135 people are confined to mental health facilities?

Some rap is OK. Public Enemy and a Tribe Called Quest are pretty good.

Explicit lyric warning.

Last edited by xxo; 03-15-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    Is it a coincidence that 1,o94,592,135 people are confined to mental health facilities?
    LOL funny!
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Just about every hiphopster alive back then (and many who no longer were alive) sampled or remixed Paper Planes. I used to listen to this version back in the day:

EXPLICIT LYRICS WARNING

And of course Paper Planes samples Straight to Hell:

Flashaholic*

What do y'all think about the climax blues band?
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-12-2021 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    What do y'all think about the climax blues band?
    I kinda remember them from back in the day - fairly typical for what was popular back in the 70's, not really my thing but I guess they are OK.

BTW, when I think of blues, it's something like this:

Flashaholic*

Old time blues.

Flashaholic*

I think climax started out more blues oriented and then got a more rock sound and later on pop. The song "couldn't get it right" is a really cool song that crosses the boundaries of rock, pop and disco. It was their first hit and it was from their 1976 album. They Rhode 4 or 5 years on that and needed another hit. Derek Holt their base player had written a song about his first wife, but Colin Cooper and Pete Haycock didn't like it. Later on when they were finishing up with their "fly the flag" album the producer (I think) asked them if they had any more songs. Derek said that he had one, but the others didn't like it. The producer wanted to hear it. Now Derek had composed it and put it on a cassette. When the producer heard it he said he thinks it will be a hit- and it was. Colin didn't have anything to do with it- only the drummer and Pete Haycock (who reluctantly played guitar on it). That is the song "I love you" that has become so popular at weddings and such. It got a lot of radio play and still does on some stations. Climax had an American tour coming up and they backed out of it because they didn't want to "promote Derek Holt's career". The only time the song was preformed live in America was in 2005. Derek and his wife and daughter were at an english cafe and pub and they had karaoke. On the karaoke menue under climax blue band they had that song and his wife spoke up and told the waiter that he husband used to be in that band and he wrote and sang that song. The waiter was sceptical until Derek and his daughter sang it. After that everyone in there knew he WAS the one. He didn't have to pay for anymore beer that night and some were saying " where's the bloody limousine". That song actually caused a split in the band although Colin's climax blues carried on for years it was without Derek and their drummer who both left in 1983. Pete Haycock left in the late 80s and Colin was the only original member left. The band was off and on until Colin died in 2008. A fellow that joined in the early 80s is carrying on with the band to this day. The band has no founding members left, but they still use the same name and play the same songs. Pete Haycock died in 2013, but to my knowledge never came back into the band after he left. Only Derek Holt in 1985 and he left again that same year because he was only receiving the same pay as the hired help. I just thought all this was interesting and I'd share. I was hoping someone else knew about all this and maybe had some more details. I guess you really needed to have a feel for the times to enjoy their first hit, but Derek's hit song could come out now as a new song and just mix right in with the rest and no one would be the wiser.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 04-12-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123