Looking for an angle light - red LED

RagnarB

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of ticked off right now. I just found out Zebralight discontinued the H502r head light. I was planning to buy that for pocket use. I wanted a right angle light that I could put in a coat pocket, like a jean jacket pocket, and use for hands-free walking at night. The H502r produced 100 lumens of red light. I think that would be bright enough to be able to walk in total darkness and see as far enough ahead of you as you'd need to see. I think fifty feet is good enough, but I don't know how far 100 lumens of red light throws. I might be happy with 30 feet.

There are many good options on the market right now from Streamlight, Fenix, and still Zebralight, and Fenix has one that has a red mode, but it's only 5 lumens. You might be able to walk with that in pitch darkness, but I don't think you'd be seeing very far in front of you. None of these companies are offering a right angle light with sufficient red light for walking at night.

I want a light like this for walking at night without drawing undo attention to myself. Why announce my presence to everyone for a mile around? Plus, white light scares away all the animals that I might want to see. I'm pretty sure they can't see red light.

I could have bought the H502r a year or two ago, but I was buying all kinds of other stuff. I wasn't expecting Zebralight to discontinue this.

So now I'm wondering what my options are. I'm wondering if any of the angle lights from Streamlight or Fenix can be disassembled, and the lens changed. Maybe I could install a red lens. In a worst case scenario, I could glue a red filter onto an angle light. I don't mind it being a designated red angle light. That's what the H502r would have been anyway.

I've just gone through a google search for the H502r, and nothing comes up. Everyone is out of stock, and won't be getting any more. A store in Australia has them available for $264. In Canadian dollars, that's about $261. That's insane. I'm not paying that. I'll glue a MiniMag red filter on to a Fenix before I spend that.

So if anyone here knows where I can get an H502r, or a similar light, or the best way to rig up what I want, please let me know.

RagnarB

Newly Enlightened
What other features would you want from this light?

I'm not real fussy about batteries. I have several Surefires, so I like CR123As. I would be happy to have a 6 volt light. But the H502r was a AA light, and I'm happy to use those too. An 18650 is great for some lights, but it would make a pocket light too big, I think. I would likely use it with a Levi jacket, and have it clipped inside the chest pocket. Most right angle lights turn on the clip, so they can be aimed, and are not dependent on the angle of the pocket, which wouldn't be facing directly forward.

100 lumens is plenty for walking, at least with white light. I'm not sure about red, but I'm sure it is enough. While a multi-spectrum light is great, I'm fine with having one white and one red.

The ProTac and Fenix lights are awesome, if only they had one model with a red option. Fenix does have one, but 5 lumens doesn't cut it. That is basically for the same purpose as my Surefire HL1. The red lights on my helmet light will light up my bedroom, but very dimly. Not very useful light. But the helmet light is not made for that. It's only made for looking in a duffle bag in the field at night, or working with gear, two feet from your face. That's a great feature, but it's not what I'm after.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you just joined today so I can't private message you. When you get PM working ping me, I might be able to help.

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
The Armytek Wizard WR has two white and two red LEDs with a range of outputs. It looks pretty sweet IMO. I have the white light only Wizard Pro and it's a great light.

And FWIW, I have the Zebralight H502r and it is quite nice but because there is no optic in it, the bright point of the emitter is quite visible from a very wide angle around it. And it doesn't project the light very far so it makes more sense as an up close light to me. I don't think it would be the most discrete option for light at walking around distances.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
The Armytek Wizard WR has two white and two red LEDs with a range of outputs. It looks pretty sweet IMO. I have the white light only Wizard Pro and it's a great light.

And FWIW, I have the Zebralight H502r and it is quite nice but because there is no optic in it, the bright point of the emitter is quite visible from a very wide angle around it. And it doesn't project the light very far so it makes more sense as an up close light to me. I don't think it would be the most discrete option for light at walking around distances.

Here's the Armytek Wizard WR light that Dark Attic Works was referring to.
https://www.armytek.com/flashlights/models/wizard/armytek-wizard-magnet-usb-wr-warm/

Looks like it should get the job done with an output of 250 lumens and has a range of 41m.

RagnarB

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the help. I haven't chosen a light yet, even though many good options have been suggested.

I like the Skilhunt, but I don't see a pocket clip with it. I intend to clip a light inside of a coat pocket, just like a pen, but with the light facing out. So I need a clip. One option might be to buy a clip from Zebra, and see if it fits a light that doesn't have it. Most clips can be adjusted for size, but the H502r is a AA light, and the Skilhunt, and others, are 18650. Also, the clip on the Armytek is not designed very well. They should take a lesson from Surefire and Streamlight.

One thing that impresses me is that an 18650 light can be shorter than 5", so that's good enough for convenient pocket carry.

I'm just disappointed that what seem to be the best angle head lights on the market do not have red LEDs, like the ProTac.

And one problem I see with some of these lights is that because they are multi-mode, the red light must be deployed by cycling through white light. I have the Fenix CL09, and that is how it is designed. If you were in a situation where you need light without alerting others, or animals, you can't deploy the red light without revealing yourself. I think a red single mode angle head is a better choice. One good solution is to make the white/red selection independent of the on/off switch. Select red first, then turn on the light.

This selection process is awkward for me, since I'm used to Surefire specs. Reading through specs and descriptions, and seeing terms like OTF - Out the Front - is very strange. Surefire and Streamlight don't use terms like that. It seems some of these lights are designed for a different crowd.

I have a FourSevens light that I got in a passaround box years ago. It uses one 123a cell, and has a magnet on the end. The beam seems to be about 180 degrees. If I stick it to a piece of metal on one side of the room, it illuminates the whole room. I wish I could find an angle head light with a red beam that throws like that. But I think about a 20' swath with a 20' throw would be excellent. I know red light doesn't throw like white light. Whatever would illuminate a whole living room is pretty much what I'm after. If any more throw is needed, there are regular flashlights with red beams that I carry while using the angle head at the same time. I put a red LED in an old Surefire, and there are better options available also.

razor541

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the Fenix HM61r last week after a lengthy power outage (thought that a headlamp would be more convenient when I'm using the light for an extended period).
So far so good, and it has a red mode too.

One word of warning is you can go into red mode when the light is off, but it goes through the last white light mode that you've used. I'm not sure I would have bought it if any of the posts/reviews I read had stated that clearly, but so far it's not a dealbreaker.
If you do find one that lets you go straight to red from off, I'd like to know though.

Cheers!

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire helmet light, streamlight sidewinder compact ii

I picked up the Fenix HM61r last week after a lengthy power outage (thought that a headlamp would be more convenient when I'm using the light for an extended period).
So far so good, and it has a red mode too.

One word of warning is you can go into red mode when the light is off, but it goes through the last white light mode that you've used. I'm not sure I would have bought it if any of the posts/reviews I read had stated that clearly, but so far it's not a dealbreaker.
If you do find one that lets you go straight to red from off, I'd like to know though.

Cheers!

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
And one problem I see with some of these lights is that because they are multi-mode, the red light must be deployed by cycling through white light. I have the Fenix CL09, and that is how it is designed. If you were in a situation where you need light without alerting others, or animals, you can't deploy the red light without revealing yourself.
I have the LD15R myself - If I want to go to red without the white, I just cover the lens with a thumb for a second. The worst you get is a dim red thumb-tip lighting the area up, before the real red kicks in.

I'm not sure I would have bought it if any of the posts/reviews I read had stated that clearly, but so far it's not a dealbreaker.
Every review I've seen (here and elsewhere) has quite keenly pointed out (and usually complained about) this aspect.
It's not ideal, but as you say also not a deal breaker. Would have been better if Fenix added a collar switch like on the TK11, I think.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red light is highly visible from a distance.
It's used to keep from destroying night vision, not to keep from being seen.

stephenk

Enlightened
The Nitecore NU25 has a 12 lumen red mode. This is quite a bit brighter than most other compact headlamps that rarely have more than 5 lumens for their red LED.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you'll be happy with a pure flood (mule) light for night walks. I do like the mule lights for close work, but a diffused reflectored light seems to work best for walks at night.That being said, if you could arrange it with someone in the states, the zebralight is available and could be shipped by an individual.
You may be better off purchasing something like a Thrunite or Sofirn and swapping out the led or having it done.