Fireflies E12R

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
I received my E12R 2 days ago, seems to be decent light, easy to hold and work with and has a lot
of functions however, I am disappointed with the light output. I ordered and received the XPL2 HD 6500
emitters and while it does put out some light, it pails in comparison to my MF01MINI, my Lumintop EDC18,
my FT02S with the XHP70.2 6500 and, has even less output than my very old Skyray 6XT6.

Either the 12,000 rated lumens of this item are grossly overstated or, as an example, the FT02S must
be putting out a lot more because, as you can see, it totally blows the E12R out of the water.

I know this is a very unscientific test but, I took some average readings from my LX1020B Lux meter and the
results are as follows, These were all obtained from a distance of 5 feet, all with fully charged
batts and Samsung 40T 21700's in the E12R the MF01MINI and the FT02S.
Fireflies E12R = 5000 lux
Skyray 6XT6 = 6000 lux
EDC18 = 10000 lux
MF01 MINI = 19000 lux
FT02S = 31000 lux

As I said, it's a nice piece that does output some decent light but, since both it and the
FT02S are stated to put out 12,000 lumens, Fireflies must be very generous with their
lumen ratings.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO. there is no reason to purchase an XP-L light in 2021 (perhaps only if XP-L HI). So many other choices exist...

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
XPL2 HD isn't obsolete in 2021. It's still a super efficient high output emitter. 12 of them should easily make 10k lumens.

Two things at play: you're not using a 21700 cell that's capable of fully driving all 12 emitters to their max (like a 30t or 40t) or you're attributing brightness to intensity. Intensity and light output are not the same thing.

One last thing. The light might have came stock with simple mode turned on, preventing max output on fet. Anduril 2 is very complex. There's a way to switch from simple mode to full mode, I just don't know what it is.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
XPL2 HD isn't obsolete in 2021. It's still a super efficient high output emitter. 12 of them should easily make 10k lumens.

Two things at play: you're not using a 21700 cell that's capable of fully driving all 12 emitters to their max (like a 30t or 40t) or you're attributing brightness to intensity. Intensity and light output are not the same thing.

One last thing. The light might have came stock with simple mode turned on, preventing max output on fet. Anduril 2 is very complex. There's a way to switch from simple mode to full mode, I just don't know what it is.

10H from off to exit simple.

Once you're out of simple, ramp to the top, then double click for full turbo.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Only at CPF is it expected for a firefly to put out 12,000 lumens. :thinking:
Poor firefly……
Last time I checked, at least where I live anyway a firefly might put out 3/4 of a lumen but ymmv.

Last edited:

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
That was it, it shipped in simple UI. Thank you for the advice.

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
I guess it's an to each his own thing, I always want the whitest emitter possible. I could care less about getting a more
neutral color to make grass and trees look more like their natural color. There aren't any trees or grass where I live in the desert.
All I have is a never ending supply of sand, cactus, javelina, bobcats, tarantula, rattle snakes, scorpions and coyotes. The whiter the
light, the better I see them.

Last edited:

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks but as I stated in the post, I am using the Samsung 40T. Thanks to carrot, problem is solved. It shipped in simple UI.

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
No problem, under the same conditions as the first test, the E12R now registers 26,000 lux. Huge difference!

One additional thing that I have found out though, unlike my other Andruil lights, the E12R requires me to have it in max
ramp before it will go into turbo. If I try to engage turbo from any setting lower than max ramp, it will only go to max ramp
when dbbl-clicked. If I then dbbl-click again from that point, it just drops down to the previous lower ramp setting.
But wow, this thing really puts out the light, and the aux lights are fun to play with. :twothumbs

Last edited:

SKV89

Enlightened
There are many people on the other forum complaining that the new Fireflies lights are dim and that is because they are not even in Turbo. You cannot enter Turbo the same way you enter Turbo by simply double clicking twice like it was in Anduril 1. The easiest way to enter turbo is click and click-hold.

Top of ram is less than 1/3 of Turbo so of course it does not appear bright.

You can see my measurements here.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...es-E12R-NOV-MU-T9R-T1R-prototype-test-results