Musings on Triple emitter lights for EDC.

scout24

Flashaholic
I went down memory lane last night texting to a dear friend I met here on CPF right after I signed up. Join me if you will. Triples for the masses. Single cell. Pocketable. Same dimensions as everything else we were used to at the time. (At least here on CPF) August of 2010, Mac posted his "Tri-EDC" thread. It's on page five of his read-only subforum if you're interested. I'm not here to discuss his business practices or anything else except the lights. There had been one off lights, prototypes, unobtanium if you will prior, whispers of 1000lm available in a single cell light, but they were unicorns. Not long after, Overready is giving us modified Surefire E-series lights with similar configurations on a retail platform. The term "Kilolumen" is born.
As I sit here, I have a half dozen lights in the Triple configuration within arm's reach. They have come to rule the roost for my personal edc uses. Broad even beam, plenty of reach on high, absurd output for their size if you want or need it. Everything I want for daily carry.
A good amount of time has gone by, ten plus years. Drivers have come a long ways, emitters are brighter and more efficient, and high cri is common. What hasn't changed is what I find interesting. The basic formula. Three emitters under an optic, a high drain cell, the best mechanical forward clicky switch available, (McClicky) A sturdy pocket clip, and your choice of metals. There are probably a dozen builders using that very same formula to this day with great success. In the age of disposable $1000 cell phones and electronics that are obsolete in 18 months, I find it a successful, tried and true formula and obviously I'm not alone. :) If you've read this far, thank you! Discuss!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: Musings on the EDC Triple.

Although I do not own any monster triples I do understand the historically significant role they played. It was as if folks were applying a 'hot wire' technique during the budding LED industry. Some really artistic builds could be had if you had the stomach for the price(s). Those were "if you have to ask you probably can't afford it" products to folks like me who thought $20 for a minimag was a big investment. And I suppose many did not understand the inherint value at the time and never pondered how they would still be relevant way down the road.

My first 'triple' was so that LED Lenser could muster 12 whole lumens out of a light that was about the size of a aaa minimag but used 3 N cells to get that extra voltage kick.
Emissive Energy had a stake in the game early on with the inovation of 5 LED's from one reflector. I suppose that Innova X5 really had a few people scratching their head way back when.

To me the monster triple is like motorcycle racing. I'd rather sit back and applaud than participate while having the utmost respect for those involved in making it happen.

nbp

Flashaholic

I completely agree on all points. I have a Ti Tri EDC from Mac I will hopefully never sell as an ode to the original (have had the engine upgraded twice now) but I have had a bunch of other triples in the meantime and like you I usually have five or six at any time. For me the beam pattern is one of the things I like the best, along with the very flexible UI and output range in a super compact package. Many reflectors do not provide the smooth clean beam and flood leaning beam I prefer. I also am a fan of beautifully machined bodies and there are some excellent makers as you mentioned spinning some fantastic hosts for these very useful engines.

Currently I have the Ti Tri EDC, Okluma DC1, BOSS70, E Series BOSS, Arc LS modded to triple by DatiLED. On the way is a Vinh54 modded FW3 in Ti as I have been curious about Anduril for a while. I had the privilege of having some other triples like a Mac Knurly and Adventure Sport Brass triple EDC. These lights have been an important part of my collection for years.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I misunderstood the title to mean triples in general

deleted my comments about using a triple for EDC, because
now I understand this is a thread about an old light..

enjoy your walk down memory lane :thumbsup:

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

Not an old light at all, jon_slider. An enduring design as if not more relevant today than ten years ago when they were cutting edge. :) Do tell!

nbp

Flashaholic

I misunderstood the title to mean triples in general

deleted my comments about using a triple for EDC, because
now I understand this is a thread about an old light..

enjoy your walk down memory lane :thumbsup:

I think your post was relevant. I took the OP as "Mac started this idea, but a whole design premise was born from his creation, and a lot of people love this package." So, I think any compact EDC size triples fit here, as they all owe their genetic code to Mac's Tri EDC. :)

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Hardly EDC, but I've still got my first triple - a 2D maglight modified with a custom heatsink to accept 3x star MCPCBs sporting Luxeon IIIs. It might have hit 200 lumens circa 2006 (at ~10.5 watts!) but that bright relative to similar-sized flashlights of the time.

archimedes

Flashaholic
This thread needs more photos ... :D

GG31U92.jpg

... uses this light engine built by VoB (Adventure Sport) ..

SlX8I4b.jpg

A classic ...

SCh1n0H.jpg

And a different kind of "triple" ...

RGDfqFQ.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first factory triple is on the left, modded to High CRI.
I never warmed up to the phat and stubby form factor, nor the sideswitch, and lack of sublumen option.
My newest and fanciest on the right.

lZr6ekGl.jpg

TfCSdsfl.jpg

The Ti Host is from around 2012.
Ticks a LOT of boxes for me. Titanium Stepless Rotary, Sapphire lens, screw on clip, 18350 body, High CRI..

Every time I turn it on I smile and say wow! to myself. :)

Triple Triple Stepless Rotaries:
l-r TCR-1, Eye10, RRT-01
rpkrjINl.jpg

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
jon-slider- Those look great! I was a fan of the first gen stepless RRT-01, went so far as to put an McR reflector in one to clean up the beam. Stepless rotary is a great UI. :thumbsup:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for all the encouraging comments

there is a lot to love about a high CRI Stepless Rotary.. Im very fortunate to have experience with some.

I find the choice of lenses, narrow clear and medium frosted, create a lot of options. I personally like the Narrow Clear Carclo the best. Still a nice big floody hotspot, with a bit more throw than the frosted option.

There is no denying that a triple produces a very useful wall of light. Much easier to illuminate a work area, than a small throwy hotspot from a single LED. The wider beam from a triple is also very convenient when walking, the floodier beam does not bounce around as much as a single LED hotspot, when walking.

there are a few more pics of Stepless Rotaries in this thread

Eye10 w 3500k 219b and Sapphire lens:
7rUCKuq.png

Last edited: