LED Light For Vehicle Inspection

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started a job on Monday that involves vehicle inspection. I am looking for VIN numbers, as well as other things. I am leaning towards a USB rechargeable penlight, but I am open to other things, too.

Anyway, what light(s) do people here think I ought to consider?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
reading VINs you could use a COB type light anything close to the surface but if you want to look down into a hole you need something that throws light better. If you need hands free a headlamp is good and then something with a magnet may also be useful.
in other words trying a one size fits all light for you is probably not going to happen due to not quite enough information. If you were going for dirt cheap they make these 3AAA COB/LED lights for around $3 on Ebay that are nice and if you lose them or break them no big deal you can buy 3-4 of them and have spares. An 18650 flashlight or headlamp is good too as you can get 400 or so lumens on high or 1000 or so on turbo and lower modes to suit yourself. I don't personally recommend usb rechargeable lights without replaceable batteries unless you get them as disposable in mind as most folks can't replace soldered cells.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 is an AA/14500 light that comes with a rear clicky switch, but it can also be purchased with a magnetic tail cap. Small enough to clip in a shirt pocket, but puts out a lot of light when needed. I run mine with a 14500 Li Ion rechargeable, but if you are not into that AA cells will work but not be as bright.
I agree that if you want to light up a larger area like under the body or in the engine compartment a COB light would be good. If you don't want to go with the el cheapo ones, Eveready sells a couple combo lights with both a regular bulb and a COB sidebar.
My understanding is that some leaks show up better under UV light, so you might want to look into getting one of those too. And we can't forget the venerable Photon lights. They have an accessory that allows one to wear the light on a finger, which would be useful for close quarters especially around and behind things.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 is an AA/14500 light that comes with a rear clicky switch, but it can also be purchased with a magnetic tail cap. Small enough to clip in a shirt pocket, but puts out a lot of light when needed. I run mine with a 14500 Li Ion rechargeable, but if you are not into that AA cells will work but not be as bright.
I agree that if you want to light up a larger area like under the body or in the engine compartment a COB light would be good. If you don't want to go with the el cheapo ones, Eveready sells a couple combo lights with both a regular bulb and a COB sidebar.
My understanding is that some leaks show up better under UV light, so you might want to look into getting one of those too. And we can't forget the venerable Photon lights. They have an accessory that allows one to wear the light on a finger, which would be useful for close quarters especially around and behind things.

The Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 does look like a great choice, since I won't need a COB light. Now to figure out who has a great price on one of these with the magnetic tail cap and a 14500 battery!

Thanks for the tip.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I started a job on Monday that involves vehicle inspection. I am looking for VIN numbers, as well as other things. I am leaning towards a USB rechargeable penlight, but I am open to other things, too.

Anyway, what light(s) do people here think I ought to consider?

My friend is a technichian who works on semi's, race cars, trucks, buses, etc. For years he has been using a Streamlight Stylus Pro (actually he buys one every year although they all still work). The tailswitch is tough to click on, as I think it is more for momentary on. Even that takes a lot of pressure. You can reduce the pressure of the momentary by placing a circular cutout (like cardboard from a hole puncher) under the rubber cap, but it's still takes a lot of pressure to click it all the way on if you don't primarily use momentary.

I have one he let me borrow which I put NiMH AAA's in. It's a whiter light than some of the inexpensive $5 generic penlights you find at the hardware stores.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 And Two 14500 Batteries

I want to get one of the LUMINTOP TOOL AA 2.0 and TWO of the 14500 batteries.

Can anybody recommend a good place to buy from at a good price and reasonable shipping?

The problem I am running into is every place I look either has it for sale without the battery or with just one battery. None of the retailers I have checked allow the purchase of two 14500 batteries.

Also, which LED should I consider? The CREE or the Nichia?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 And Two 14500 Batteries

I think the reason they aren't selling it with 2 batteries may be shipping restrictions on lithium ion batteries. They can install one battery in the light and ship it according to the rules but a bare second battery likely makes for them having to package it differently may require a battery tube to accommodate shipping requirements. As for the LED the cree likely will be more bluish than the nichia but brighter. If color rendition is a priority over lumens then go with the nichia. .
I'm not sure about shipping but I think Illumn sells both items separately (batteries and light).