Help a new member

John_F

Newly Enlightened
Help a new member

If you want infomation go to the experts. So come on guys help me out. I'm new to the light bug. I've got a Surefire E2O-HA which I keep in my car. I'm now on the lookout ( no pun intended ) for a light to EDC and carry in or on my rucsac when I head out into the wild blue yonder.
Your opinions and help would be much appreciated.

dandruff

Enlightened
Re: Help a new member

im not really an expert coz im also fairly new to all this stuff. dunno if i can tell u anything u dont already know...

I would think your E2O would be a fantastic light for your job (i own a E2e) coz of its longer runtime.

other lights? well my dream edc is either a SF A2 or a ARC4+, i think these are awesome coz they both have variable output (thou the A2 only has 2). But i havent actually had any experience with them before

perhaps the SF U2 when it comes out? i dunno

btw welcome to CPF (first time i ever said that haha)!!!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome John_F,

What kind of light are you looking for? Do you like the size of the E2o? That is a typical size for EDC.

How bright do you want your light to be? How long do you want the runtime to be? What is your price range?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Good rule of thumb....The brighter the light, the shorter the runtime!

What is the longest any one time that you think you would have the light turned on?
Take a look at the plots in the Run time Plots thread in the Reviews Forum. The runtime for each light is listed as xh(ours) ym(inutes).

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another nasty newbie with a Surefire and he wants ADVICE? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Am I the only one here without a SF? :Boo Hoo Hoo Graemlin:

Happy to have you here, John F, I just like to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif about the glut of newbies who already own Surefires. See Ya later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL!!!
im with ya, jayflash! i am a surefire virgin as well.

ive been eyeballin' the E2e for many months now...

droooooooooooool...

Bob

John_F

Newly Enlightened

My E2O was a present from the wife, she bought it for me to keep in my car. I think she was worried about me in case anything happened to me in the dark, or it could be she thought, buy him a good light and he might stop out longer.
Must stop trying to work out what she actually thinks.
Anyway back to business. I like the size of the EO2, so something along those lines would be fine, nice and bright would be good, it would only be used a few minutes at a time except in emergencies. I wait with baited breath for your recommendations.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Thanks guys

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Welcome to CPF, JOhn F!

If you search under EDC, you will find threads galore on this topic, for lights, knives, multitools, and manpurses as well. In a nutshell, you should consider things like weight, power source, runtime, and purpose. Here a few suggestions:

1. Get an MN03 lamp for your E2O, and get much brighter light, sacrificing runtime (from 25 lumens to 60, but decreased runtime down to 1 hour)
2. Get an ArcAAA (you pretty much have to, if you hang around here much), or in the alternative, an Arc AA or Ultra-G instead, sacrificing weight for increased runtime (AAA smaller but shorter runtime than the two AA lights)
3. Complement your incandescent Surefire with a competent LED, like a Pelican M6 LED, an Inova X5T or an Arc LS/4+

Personally, I recommend all three!

daloosh

John_F

Newly Enlightened

Thanks daloosh, I've had a look at the lights you mentioned.
Leaning very much towards the ARC4, looks a very nice piece of equipment. I'll do a bit more research but I'm still open to suggestions.
CHEERS FOR YOUR HELP , MUCH APPRECIATED.

John

davidra

Enlightened

I'll tell you what I did, and it worked out great for me. As a newbie I'm still amazed at the money spent on these lights, so I got started with an Arc LSH second for $50. I got an LSH-P with a great beam (and racing stripes) and it works great for me as an EDC. I also have an Arc AAA but at night I always take the LSH. Not sure I would need anything more potent or complicated (like an Arc 4+); might WANT it, but not NEED it. I've got those and a pair of G2's in different locations (including one on a boat) and I'm fine with what I have right now, and it didn't break the bank.

scrappy

Enlightened

The e2o is a great way to start because with the mn03 you have an e2e, add a kl-4 you have an l-4, you already have the low powered incan. Just get a PR-T head from the shoppe and you already have like four lights

Rich

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a rucksack light, you probably wouldn't want something too small lest you have to dig all the way to the bottom for it when you need it in a jiffy... I'd suggest sometihng like a Streamlight TT 2L, which will give you both incan and flood in one. Inova X5t is a nice one as well, with a very decent runtime. Or if you want something more fanciful, check out some of the modded lights or the ones available from some of the modders/manufacturers on CPF like MrBulk, Elektrolumens, just to name a few.

For EDC a Arc4 is nice to have indeed. Else the Arc LSH is also a good EDC (my EDC in fact), and you can also get the 2AA TSP which makes it more versatile.

Hope this helps...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you would be spending a lot of time in the outdoors? Have a light that doesn't suck batteries. Go for the Innova X5T. It is not very powerful but it is indeed a good walking light. Battery consumption is very minimal. On the other hand, you can have another light that throws well and far enough. My recommendation would be the Surefire G2z Nitrolon. In the great outdoors when sand and dirt may scratch any aluminium flashlights, including the Hard Anodized version, you would be better off with the G2z.

If you don't like that package, another great light would be the Surefire A2 Aviator. 3 LEDs for long-time usage and a regulated incandescent for 50 minutes of 50 lumens light. Not very bright comparing to many more great lights out there but definitely much much much more powerful than a mini Maglight AA.

You won't go wrong also with the ARC 4.

Andy Ho

JOshooter

Enlightened

I have a SF E2e and love it. I took a SF 6p to prom a couple months back and it was just too big. After that I sold it and put the money towards an E2e. Now I EDC it.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Welcome to CPF!
For EDC the ARC4+ is the way to go, but if money is tight the ARC LS or ARC4 seconds are great.
The Surefire A2 is good if you want a brighter light with more throw than the ARC4/LS.
The ARC AAA is a must have.
If you're referring to camping when you say "head out into the wild blue yonder" then I would recommend the Princeton Tec Yukon HL and the ARC AA or the CMG Infinity Ultra.
I also recommend you get the MN03 lamp for your E2O. You might also consider a KL1 or KL4.
Here are some links just incase you haven't found them yet.
Brock's LED Flashlight Page
Sean's Flashlight Site
Quickbeams Flashlight Reviews
Craig's LED Museum-Reviews of LEDs & LED Flashlights

14C

Enlightened

KL4 on the E2 for major light.

CMG Infinity Ultra for tent and night duty outside.

KL4 on E2 will blow away all common D cell lights.

CMG Ultra White is great for dark adapted eyes. Good price too for you:http://countycomm.com/cpflight9.htm

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please, which ever light(s) you are thinking about, please see the Review thread and check out Roy's, and others, runtime charts.

The X5T's and other non-regulated lights, IMHO, have been exceeded now by the many LED lights available with regulators. An X5T will only last you 5 hours or so before its output drops by 1/2. And while CR123 Lithium batteries are only a $1 or so in the US, other parts of the world may not be so blessed (I guess your "wild blue yonder" is referring to flying to other countries? So, choosing standard battery sizes/types will be helpful (and you won't have the risk of having your spare lithium batteries confiscated).

A small AA or AAA light (CMG Infinity or ARC AA/AAA, Dorcey, etc.) type light is great for the pocket, lasts a long time with reasonable brightness, and spare batteries are easy to carry (I carry a couple AAA spare batteries in my wallet for my Arc AAA).

If you are in need of just enough light--the UK eLED 4AA Luxon 1 watt (under-driven?) is a good one to get (and purchase a holster if you would like to EDC it). Currently on sale at BrightGuy for $20. Reasonably bright spot with side spill, rugged, regulated dead flat output for 11-12+ hours, black or yellow body, and it isn't the end of the world if you loose it. It is even rated for hazardous locations.

The other high-tech lights, like ARC, and others, are great lights--But I think everyone needs a few of these new generation, regulated, and inexpensive lights around their home, work, and play. They won't light up the world, but they will light up your little piece of it.

-Bill

14C

Enlightened

OMG..I forgot about the Arc AAA..sheesh.....!

Of COURSE....ARC AAA

And the UK eLED is good too.

John_F

Newly Enlightened

Thank you all for your advice and guidance, it is truly appreciated. It has given me a lot of options to look at.
I'm sure I'll end up buying a couple of lights that will fit my use. I promise to spend my money wisely and not fritter it away on fancy top end lights---- Yeah right.
I've only been a member a few days and I'm already losing the plot. Thanks again .

ONE MORE THING, I BOUGHT AN EXTRA LOTTERY TICKET TONIGHT,
IF THAT TICKET COMES UP I'M GOING TO TAKE "JAYFLASH'S & PEDALINBOB'S VIRGINITY AWAY. I'M GOING TO GET SUREFIRE TO SEND THEM ONE EACH OF EVERY LIGHT THEY MANUFACTURE.
( SEE THEIR POSTS ON THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU THROW ME OUT )
LMAO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif