Jetbeam        

Thread: Challenge Week #5: Do the Twist!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Party Challenge Week #5: Do the Twist!!

So, after a hiatus, let's jump back into another Challenge!

What is it now you ask? This!

That's right, you can only use whatever combination of lights that fit within the area of a CD!! Just kidding. You'll notice that these are all "Twisty" lights, and that's the theme for this week!

For anyone who wasn't aware, a "twisty" light refers to any light that is turned on and off by tightening or loosening the head (typically), and don't have an actual switching mechanism. Some lights blur the line by having the ability to be used both ways; SureFire being a common example.

For the purpose of this Challenge, we'll go with the purist (purest??) form of twisty, one that has no switch and is only activated by screwing the separate parts of the light together, like so:

So, why the twisty? They have the advantage of simplicity, and thus reliability, because there's no mechanical switch to wear out, break, etc. Barring an outright failure of the circuit driver, or the LED itself, there's just not much to go wrong. Also, twisty lights tend to be smaller because they don't require any extra length to accommodate a switch mechanism. The design lends itself well to the AAA and AA category, and these lights are typically so small they can still be carried in almost any situation regardless of dress. I bet many CPF'ers carry a small twisty somewhere on their person, not for everyday use, but a robust last-ditch backup (I do, anyway... a titanium Quark Preon, on a neck lanyard under my shirt when I go anywhere).

Disadvantages? Well, the head of the light has to be unscrewed enough that it won't accidentally activate while riding in a pocket, but not unscrewed so far that it risks working it's way off completely. Also, on a lot of twisties, by the time the head is unscrewed one full turn, it's already starting to expose the o-ring, so water sealing becomes compromised. Lastly, twisties can be difficult to operate one-handed, and sometimes accidental mode skipping becomes an issue, depending on how much slop is in the threads.

So, for this week, the challenge is to use only the twisty style lights. An ode to simplicity, if you will, in a world overrun by complicated electronic gadgets and doo-dads.

The challenge "rules" can be found in the first post of this thread here:

Link to the Rules list from Challenge#1

That's it! Have fun!

Default Re: Challenge Week #5: Do the Twist!!

Ohohoho, nice! I bet this TURN of events is gonna throw some participants for a LOOP

However, I'm tapping out of this one. I've in practice completed this one back in week #2 when I only used a Lumintop EDC01, and while that week was fun, I'm not keen on re-running a challenge.

I really wanted to use my Surefire twisty as well, not to worry though, my C01S is good little light and plenty bright enough for most needs, single hand use and small enough to take anywhere.

I`m in!

Enlightened

In! I'll have a poke around my collection and see what options I have. Should be fun.

I guess Im out this week. All the twisty's I own are hybrids and don't qualify.

Iím in with a Mini Mag and a Titan plus. Will be interesting to run these two as primary lights for a change. The Titan should be plenty bright enough for pretty much everything however, so Iím not too worried.
    Really hoped I could cheat and use a 6P or M6 for this challenge when I first read the title.