Imalent        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenge Week #5: Do the Twist!!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Challenge Week #5: Do the Twist!!

I have a fair bit of twistys to choose from. There are more AAA's not shown.

Does anybody make a 18650 or 16650 twisty?

Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave View Post

Does anybody make a 18650 or 16650 twisty?
    answering my own question Eagtac has a twisty D25C2 Mini (16670) and D25LC2 (18680), not sure who else.

I had wondered that myself. I figured some company out there would've made an 18650 twisty by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    I`v been quite surprised by how warm the C01S gets after a few mins on High, not something I expected from a AAA light, even the eneloop gets warm, though I`m not sure if that`s heating from the battery itself or indirectly from the casing because of the LED. I doubt it`s damaging but I wouldn`t like to leave it on for more than 5 mins at a time with an alkaleak in it!
    My C01s (the orange one shown above) only gets apx 30 or 35 minutes on high with a standard Eneloop AAA. So yeah, that's hitting the battery pretty hard at a 2C discharge rate, but I think that's still within limits for Eneloops.

On the one hand, I appreciate it when designers are willing to drive an LED hard, but on the other hand, I generally want the high mode on any light to last at least an hour.

I have to think of the C01s high-mode like the old SureFire P61 or P91 lamps. 20 minutes was all you got! But in that case, you then had to throw away about 6 dollars+ worth of primary 123a batteries!

Enlightened

The Thrunite Ti3 is proving to be my go to twisty so far. I much prefer the 2700k tint in my modded Lumintop Tool but the cool white Ti3 has the best overall functionality. It twists smoothly one handed and doesn't mode skip on me. I may just need to swap the emitter...

Thanks to cave dave's reminder about the replacement tailcap on the last page, the Lumintop Tool has become my twisty of choice for this. Dim enough for midnight, bright enough for dog walking within reason, just needs a real pocket clip. I walk my pup on a leash, not let her run and do her own thing. So unless it's for my own "playing with flashlights", I don't need a big light for this. Runtime's pretty good, and any AA sized cell works well in it.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave View Post
    Used the C01 (sophia) last night for 2am nature call, because I have a trit in it so it's easy to find. Nice tint and broad beam, but really too bright for such duties. Tried to use my thumb to cover up the beam, but that didn't work to well as the blockage co-efficient was highly variable so basically it went from 0-7lm in random bursts.
    That is why I prefer the Fenix E01 in stock form, warts and all. Instead of having all 7-ish lumens blasting out near me like the C01 does, in stock form the E01 throws most of the ugly light well forward. That does not shock my eyes like a flooder as well as giving my foggy brain more reaction time to prevent my toes from making contact with a door frame or other items. Now once you reach the water closet with all those shiney poreclain things 7 lumens becomes 70. Yikes.

I'm going to attempt to make an incan solitaire have a tailcap lockout feature by removing ano at certain points. That way I can set the beam how I like it and use the tailcap for on/off like the ML25 can.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

I got some quark parts in today from ebay and had to do some functionality tests of the clicky buttons on the lego parts (not every combo works for some reason). I believe that is within the rules.
    I did use the Lumintop Tool in twisty mode to inspect the O-ring and threads though.

If you failed cave so did I. A Rofis R2 arrived today for my son and I checked it out to make sure it worked then put it back in the box.

I remembered today that I have another light to use for the last day or two of this week's challenge. I have a 14500 powered Mini Mag Triple by KYFishguy. Popped a Tec pocket dangler onto it and I'm ready for tonight.

Last edited by scout24; 03-12-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I used an incan aaa minimag to work on a car after dark.

Wow, it's hard to believe this week is almost gone. Hope everyone's doing well. There's been some cool stuff here in the lineup this week! And I didn't know there was such a thing as the Maratac 1C and 1D twisty until now. I was sorely tempted to get one, but I've already got more lights than I have chances to use them!

Flashaholic*

Sigh Re: Challenge Week #5: Do the Twist!!

The lady of the house wanted to see the true color of a NOS blouse she bought on-line and we were standing next to the Flashlight display area, and without thinking I grabbed the HiCRI Nichia floody FW3a and tapped rear button and held the switch to get a wall of hiCRI light.
    Best light for the job, but challenge week

I accidentally welded the tailcap switch of my Seraph SP-6 in the ON position a few weeks ago (shorted the 18650 for a second with the P60 spring), and though I`v replaced it with a new one, I`m gad I kept the old one to use as a twisty! the C01S (although a great little light) wasn`t ideal for All my needs this week.
    I hope it`s not cheating though, it`ll only work now as a twisty and clicking the button does nothing at all because it welded shut.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    I have 3 contestants: Thrunite TiS, Sorfirn C01, Fenix E01. I will reveal the most used at the conclusion of this week's challenge.

Thanks for a new game.
    The went by using the TiS and the E01. Reminded me how handy a simple AAA twisty can be.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... Fenix E01

Made it the week using minimags, a C01 and G-Line AA.
    But tbh I missed the slider switch of my incan 2aa Rayovac Industrial at 2am. I cleaned that one up at incan week and it quickly became my favorite bedside light.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-15-2021 at 06:54 PM.

Flashaholic*

Wow a longbow! A real classic. Original LED? Was it a Luxeon I or III?

Well that was Interesting, I really missed my headlamp that does 0.3lm for bathroom trips having 200+lm with the mini mag pro or 47lm with the solitaire reminded me why keep these around as backups not primary.
    I did survive It though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12