Military members & DOD civillians

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently the DOD is upset at the number of "rogue" websites posting pictures of servicemembers in places such as Iraq and Afganistan. Family support groups have been told to take down any pictures they have posted in the interest of safety/security. The DOD doesn't want a terrorist to get anyones name, and especially their families' names. Too easy to cause problems that way. And it's not just FRG websites, as I stated the DOD apparently would like to stop al the sites from posting any pictures that aren't from the Public Affairs Office, but there are just too many to go after.
Just something you might want to think of before posting a pic. Not likely that CPF or your hosting service is going to get raided, but this place is popular enough that it might get noticed, and why give ANY chance to a terrorist to go after a family member?

Aten_Imago

Banned
Unicorn
Good post. As an DOHS contractor I concur but have to wonder how the heck these pictures are even getting on the web in the first place? There has to be a policy within DOD that prevents these images form making any rounds at all ??? Please clarify if you would.
Thanks & stay safe

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some are pretty easy. I take pics of my buddies, and send them home to a friend or family member who has a site. They post them. Or if I have a lot of internet access where I'm at (such as I do for the moment), I could have my own site and put some up. Some of the pictures that are linked from some of the threads on this site are from people (mil and civ.) who are overseas and have taken pictures.

Aten_Imago

Banned
No rules or constraints about posting these images? Wow!
I mean I see the occassional picture on someone's fridge at thier house . But they're usually pretty generic backgrounds no markings or equipment except for the side of a truck or something.
take care