Single Cell Light for EDC 3000k HCRI

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a new EDC that takes a single 18350 or 16340. I'm very happy with my modified Incan MDC, but I'm consistently getting less than 1 hour of runtime out of it. There have now been a couple times were my light died on me when I needed it, and I am usually not carrying spare batteries. I love the Incan beam, so I'm looking for something similar in tint to replace it, but LED and with at least 2 modes and better runtime. So that means 3000 - 3400k and high CRI.

- No PWM
- Regulated/constant brightness
- Not more than 2 or 3 modes
- proud, rear, forward clicky with momentary
- Clip (ideally fixed by screws, don't like clip-on clips much)
- 50+ Lumens output on high (maybe around 5 to 15 on low)
- Throw or flood is not important.
- Coated Glass lens, not acrylic
- Simple UI without special modes like SOS or strobe.
- not much bigger than my MDC (not much longer then 9cm/3.5in)
- Not made of copper, Brass, Bronze. Aluminium, Steel, Titanium or even Magnesium are all fine.
- Good quality (obviously)
- budget is maybe up-to around 150€
- I can deal with vendors based outside of Europe if necessary if they ship here, but availability in Europe is nonetheless important.

I don't require internal charging.

I hope there is something out there for me. Thanks to all in advance.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not repurpose your MDC instead (assuming you are referring to the Malkoff MDC)? VME head + M61WLL (3K 95 CRI) or possibly VME head + M361N-LMH (4K 95 CRI).

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a good idea except it would still only be single mode, and 80 Lumens is way too bright for many close-up tasks. Regarding the other option, different then SF and most others, Malkoff L/M/H have mode switching determined by ON-time, which as I discovered with my stock MDC is not something I can deal with. Also 4000k is too neutral (my original MDC head is 4000k).

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next to 1x18350 and 1x16340...

imageedit-2-9710750790.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32221134204.html

scout24

Flashaholic
Pick up a Surefire E1e or build a clone from Lumensfactory parts, contact Tana about building you a SingLED module for it to your requirements. He may be able to program or source a driver for your specs. His sales threads with contact info can be found here under Custom and Modified B/S/T. You could also program an HDS Clicky to have only the brightnesses you want, and have the emitter swapped to one of your liking. May be pushing past your budget a bit, but worth investigating?

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick up a Surefire E1e or build a clone from Lumensfactory parts, contact Tana about building you a SingLED module for it to your requirements. He may be able to program or source a driver for your specs. His sales threads with contact info can be found here under Custom and Modified B/S/T. You could also program an HDS Clicky to have only the brightnesses you want, and have the emitter swapped to one of your liking. May be pushing past your budget a bit, but worth investigating?

Thats certainly enticing. Well, I already have the MDC and E series head from Lumensfactory. Can you push me in the general direction of what something like this might roughly cost once its done?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, since I needed to order a M61WLL anyway, I also picked up a VME head with it. It will still be a single mode light, but with a runtime of around 5 hours, its certainly a lot better then 50 minutes. I will see weather or not 80 lumens is too bright for close up wok. If im not satisfied, I will contact Tana about a custom module. This is certainly worth a try. Thanks for your suggestions.