HDS + Dented Terminal: Typical or Atypical?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
That spring up top is one tough cookie....

img2.jpg

img1.jpg

K-T

*Moderator*
battery to long?
Had the same with an USB rechargeable 123 - too long.

Nickmen

Newly Enlightened
The length of your cell (Panasonic NCR18650GA 3,6V - 3,7V 3500mAh)
is 66,80 mm ± 0,25 mm

This could be too long as K-T said.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just that the cell is too weak for HDS))

I think there are 2 explanations. The first - there is some kind of plastic cylinder under the spring, it looks like a movement limiter, I dropped the flashlight and have the same marks. If this limiter was not there, then the marks might not have been, since a little more spring travel and it will absorb more energy.

The second - is industrial cells and they are designed to work in a package, i.e. for taping and spot welding applications, so this bent element is weak. I have some 70mm long cells with a protruding "+", they fell the same way and there were no incidents with similar results.

This dent does not affect battery performance in any way.

With batteries that are too long, the bottom usually deforms. Oh, I found that 70mm cell, there are some traces too, but they are minimal, she also fell several times.

Last edited:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I had the same thing happen with those cells. I switched to samsung 30q and haven't had a problem since.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you drop the flashlight at any point?
Not once from any height. Not too long either: The GA is the same one that shipped with the light as ordered direct from HDS. Happened when removing the head while resetting with the light on.

...dent does not affect battery performance in any way.
Agreed. Just thought I would make a mention as two GA cells from HDS exhibit dented terminals at the positive. Both have been replaced with new Moli M35A with a manufacture year code of 2020 :)

C3H5N3O9

Newly Enlightened
The AW IC 18650 3400 mAh battery I use also has a dent in the positive terminal and marks on the negative. It doesn't affect battery performance.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry states it is normal as the sheet metal on the positive contact on the battery is rather thin. As long as it is making contact, it isn't anything to worry about.

Thekaveman

Newly Enlightened
I had recently wondered the same thing regarding my 18650 cap being bent on an AW protected cell. No drops, but I'm glad it doesn't effect performance! The strong spring will also continue to create contact even if the cap compresses further.

Gaffle

Enlightened
My HDS has made dents in several batteries. The Sanyo I bought from Henry with my 18650 tube are unusable due to dent, contact is spotty. I still use those batteries in my headlamp so no major issues. That's why I went with Keeppower, not such a thin top. Though even the KP has a dent on the button. This is only with 18650 and not my 16430. Has happened with loose and tight fitting batteries.